• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Docter 8x42 Vs. Pentax Dcf Sp 8x43 (1 Viewer)

michigan

HELLO, the binoculars: DOCTER B/CA 8X42 or PENTAX DCF SP 8X43

I have recenty found the joy of bird and nature viewing. Most of the viewing includes watefowl on the ponds and in the fields that suround my property also, the elusive whitetail deer and wild turkeys(what beatiful colors they have) that fequent our clover field behind the house.

The glasses I choose will need to have good low light performance (evening is when the deer feed) and be able to handle bright conditions as well (sun reflecting off the water while watching canada geese).I have searched and read this forum and found many favorable reviews of both the Docter and the Pentax (a few bad reviews too).

The Docters have a 30 year warranty , a wider field of view but, do not have locking eye cups or diopiter, they are heavier, and I have not read if they are nitrogen purged. I have read they are waterproof.

The Pentax have a worry free lifetime warranty, locking diopiter, 4 stop eye cups, lighter weight, nitrogen purged, but, have a narrow field of view compared to the Docter.

Are the Docters optical quality (glass, prism, coatings) and wider field of view worth giving up all the perks of the Pentax. I live in a rural area and can not try before I buy so, I will be relying on second hand information only.
OPINIONS ?

Nathan

Last edited:
Hello, I am not positive what the docter model is B/ca or b/cf. It is being sold by cdnn investment company for $4oo US .
The pentax dcf sp is being sold by 17th ST. photo for $430 US.

Which is the better buy?

Nathan

If you are really unsure, why not go with Pentax at Eagle Optics? You can return the first pair if really unhappy, no other reason needed. But I'm not sure of details, call the store. I have looked at very few Pentaxes myself. Not sure if they are any better than other similar models. For 8x, there are a lot of choices.

Details on the Docter
http://www.roskamoptics.nl/info_docter.html

Hunting stores carry the Docters, someone here might give you a better link to compare prices
http://www.birdforum.net/archive/index.php/t-45472
but the 400 seems about right

Last edited:
Nathan,

I still don´t know the Pentax SP series and haven´t read any longer review about them so far. The Docter 8x42 has locking diopter. It is very similar of the Leica 8x42 Trinovid series and can compete in respect of optical performance with their older BA series while the mechanics of Leica is of higher quality. I think the Docter is really worth a try.
Steve

Last edited:
I have been leaning toward the Docter recently. However, I have read many review on the net about the docter 8x42 b/cf. I believe the docter at (cdnn US.$400) is the docter 8x42 b/ca. I would like to know if these models are the same and just sold in different countries. Like the nikon lx/hg line.

thank you
Nathan

michigan said:
I have been leaning toward the Docter recently. However, I have read many review on the net about the docter 8x42 b/cf. I believe the docter at (cdnn US.$400) is the docter 8x42 b/ca. I would like to know if these models are the same and just sold in different countries. Like the nikon lx/hg line.

thank you
Nathan

ask bodromarsh. He or she is selling Docters on ebay and you can find him there to ask details.

I made a mistake the docter 8x42 shown on the cdnn investment site is: DOCTER CENTER FOCUS BINOCULARS, 8X magnification B/GA

B/CF I think would mean center focus. What B/GA

I emailed the dealer on ebay and he referred me to the docter website. All they had listed was 8x42 B/CF.
thanks
Nathan

B/CF and B/GA

Hi. The B usually refers to eyeglass-accommodating (to a degree) eye-relief. GA usually means that it has rubber armoring. As far as the Docter 8x42, I don't think that these two acronyms (B/CF and B/GA) are mutually exclusive. I think that they would still designate the same binocular.

Thanks for clearing the confusion of the b/cf and b/ga stuff up. I just wasn't shure if cdnn was selling discontinued models or what. The price is close to $100 US less than anywhere else I've seen. I don't know for shure but, the model they are selling looks identical to every other docter b/cf that I have seen on the internet. I hope that the cdnn price is for the current docter bins and I will hope to buy them soon.
THANK YOU ALL
Nathan

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back