• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (23 Viewers)

I've just had a Yellowhammer over the eddy flying east towards HH farm calling. Two Oycs flew towards flashes earlier.

I'm thinking that might even be the first Yellowhammer recorded at UW this year?

I've just had a Yellowhammer over the eddy flying east towards HH farm calling. Two Oycs flew towards flashes earlier.

I'm thinking that might even be the first Yellowhammer recorded at UW this year?

Hi Dave - yes, that is the first Yellowhammer sighting I have been made aware of for 2012; the 88th species for the reserve.

Last edited:
Cheers Phil,

Just had 3 Goosanders - 2 males fly over moors pool.

An interesting pipit reported briefly earlier per DJ - poss Water/ Rock but call and poor flight views only.

Cheers Phil,

Just had 3 Goosanders - 2 males fly over moors pool.

An interesting pipit reported briefly earlier per DJ - poss Water/ Rock but call and poor flight views only.

Fly-over pipit or on the deck? This time of year Water is a more likely bet out of the two.

Fly-over pipit or on the deck? This time of year Water is a more likely bet out of the two.

Not seen on deck by any of the four observers as far as i know but seen to fly up and away after initial calls heard. Agree Water more likely this time of year but unless it comes back none could be certain as far as I gather.

Not seen on deck by any of the four observers as far as i know but seen to fly up and away after initial calls heard. Agree Water more likely this time of year but unless it comes back none could be certain as far as I gather.

Another one that got away then! Flashes or Moors?

Yes, both Dave J and I heard the wheezy drawn out call but we couldn't connect with it. Then a couple of minutes later the bird that was in the right hand channel (probably tucked under the nearest bank - so invisible) flew up and over the hide.
We also heard a little owl calling but failed to connect with that too.

You only have to go to Wilden to see how quickly and drastically a habitat can change - The halcyon days of passage waders and wintering Water Pipits are a distant memory. These places have to be 'managed' some areas with them 'micro-managed' if variety of habits are desired. Worcestershire has enough areas of Sallow scrub and alas Wilden is now just another one of those. The Trust should have carried on some sort of management agreement with British Sugar to maintain the bunds and retain the water. Maybe they tried, i do'nt know - I bumped into somebody with his 'volunteer' hat on last year who told me i was'nt allowed to walk around. I thought, where were you 30 years ago mate? Needless to say i carried on birding.............;)

Somebody find something good at UW soon please.

Laurie:t:

I've just been reeding some of the past weeks posts and on reading this I would like to say that I don't feel that Wilden Marsh is a good example of conservation mis-management or lack of work parties. It was once a top site for birds and the loss of the settling beds as a result of the closure of the sugar beet factory certainly had an impact. The main problem however was caused by the deep dredging of the River Stour as part of a flood alleviation project. The impact of this was catastrophic and seriously affected the level of water table in the marsh...work parties wouldnt have made a great deal of difference to this.

However, these days both the Worcs Wildlife Trust and the environment agency are working on a scheme to restore Wilden Marsh closer to its previous glory.

And, before any one pipes up, this post is not an anti-work party dialog. I personally feel that they are an important aspect of reserve management. No, I merely wished to highlight that you can't really use Wilden as a pawn in the pro/anti Upton work party debate as there were much bigger issues involved with that particular site

First Little Ringed Plover of the spring recorded near Chard, Dorset. Maybe theres the possibility of a really early date this year.

I've just been reeding some of the past weeks posts and on reading this I would like to say that I don't feel that Wilden Marsh is a good example of conservation mis-management or lack of work parties. It was once a top site for birds and the loss of the settling beds as a result of the closure of the sugar beet factory certainly had an impact. The main problem however was caused by the deep dredging of the River Stour as part of a flood alleviation project. The impact of this was catastrophic and seriously affected the level of water table in the marsh...work parties wouldnt have made a great deal of difference to this.

However, these days both the Worcs Wildlife Trust and the environment agency are working on a scheme to restore Wilden Marsh closer to its previous glory.

And, before any one pipes up, this post is not an anti-work party dialog. I personally feel that they are an important aspect of reserve management. No, I merely wished to highlight that you can't really use Wilden as a pawn in the pro/anti Upton work party debate as there were much bigger issues involved with that particular site

Yes I agree with all this and I was aware of the dredging causing the main problem, i.e. drop in water levels. I also think it worth mentioning that, in order to maintain the wet grassland / marsh vegetation there, it is / has been necessary to mow or graze the site in order to prevent succession to scrub then wet woodland - something it would otherwise do in time (as would most lowland fens, marshes, water-meadows etc if not managed in this way). I've not been there for a good few years though - about 2005 - so i've no real idea how it may have changed more recently. I just know that on my last visit it was a shaddow of it's former self when I first knew it in the 1980's.

Not a lot to add to above sightings, Water Rail showed at the concrete hide lots of vocal bullfinches about. 12 Curlew and 100+ Lapwing feeding in the sewage works field. Hide seems solid light and airy catches and bolts seem noisy but hopefully it will all settle down. Good to be back birding properly at the Flashes
Found a road kill Tawny Owl on the A38 Just past the bromsgrove island coming to upton showed a few people and I have left it beneath the reserve sign in the Moors car park presumably one that had a territory close by Incredible feathering

Trev
I have seen a tawny owl flying from left to right on my way home at dark over the last few months, just before that roundabout. I thought at the time that it was perilously low over the on coming cars. Oh well hopefully there are more than 1 around

Moors today
didn't do a thorough count as I didn't go the East hide.
GCG 4. Little grebe in slice channel, Shoveler 23, Teal c10, Pochard 15, tufted 35+. Oystercatcher pr,
spoke to Simon P..who told me he had at least 3 different water rails in front of the concrete hide yesterday.
At the feeding station were 9 bullfinch and 15 reed buntings

The Flashes till dark (my first roost session of the year)
Gadwall pr, shoveler (male), teal c60, Mallard 30+
Curlew 25 (all landed 30 yards in front of the hide just before dark), lapwing 50+, oystercatcher pr (4 on the reserve), The BHG roost is now building up to 800 birds tonight many practising nest building. I was sporting a white plastic ring 2H72.
A redpoll flew over and a few winter thrushes roosted in the hedgerows.

B :)John
great to be back at the Flashes
NB: the left side large window catch is dodgy. I have attached a sign 'Please do NOT open'. I will contact the trust tomorrow. I have cleaned the windows so you can see through it until we get it sorted.

Attached are photos of the dead Tawney Owl that Trev (Discors) found plus a sleepy male Sparrowhawk (seemed to've just woken up) in the education reserve this morning:

Attachments

• Dead Tawney 260212.jpg
    Dead Tawney 260212.jpg
    246.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Sparrowhawk Ed Res 260212.jpg
    Sparrowhawk Ed Res 260212.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 88
Call To Arms!

As previously publicised, the last work party of the season at the Flashes is next Sunday. The work load is extensive and further complicated by the loss of tools following the theft at the Moors Pool:-

- Strimming the islands and foreshore to create suitable feeding habitats for both passage birds and breeding waders
- Complete the blocking of breaches in the fox fence at the rear of the third flash
- Complete the alterations to the fox fence to prevent scambling access as witnessed last year
- Ensure that the gate from to the sewage meadow is secure
- Clear the islands of vegetation to assist breeding waders / terns
- Survey all the shingled islands / spits and refresh if required
- Complete the attachment of the fox fencing to the new hide
- Undertake a thorough "fox flush"
- Ensure that either side of the hide is suitably screened with blackthorn etc so waders are not spooked by visitors entering and leaving the hide
- Ideally creating willow panels or similar to screen the ground floor entrance to hide to prevent light flooding in when the door is opened

Due to the volume of work there will be a 09:30 start; any time you can spare during the course of the day will be very much appreciated. Squash and biscuits will be provided as a token bribe; please wear old cothes and boots / wellies and bring gloves.

I would hope that no one will quibble about any of the above work programme and, despite some comments posted here in recent days, from the conversations I have had in the 15 years I have been involved with reserve the efforts of the work party are greatly supported and appreciated by the vast majority of visitors to Upton Warren. Please come and see the Flashes from a different perspective.

Phil

lost strimmers

I don't know if everyone is aware but the tool shed was broken into and we had all our strimmers and power tools nicked.
This is not an appeal. But I would like to thank one of our members and we all know him for his generous £40 donation towards replacements. Modesty forbids him from being named.
Thanks ............:t:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back