• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

one eyed guy seeks best solution(help) (1 Viewer)

Hi,i have one eye and wondered if a scope is the way to go?Your thoughts please.My wife sometimes comes along on trips and so i was wondering if i should consider her (I know, i know ).
Ps i am fairly new to this so please be gentle.
regards;)

Hi,i have one eye and wondered if a scope is the way to go?Your thoughts please.My wife sometimes comes along on trips and so i was wondering if i should consider her (I know, i know ).
Ps i am fairly new to this so please be gentle.
regards;)[/QUOTE

Hi bitternboy,
A good pair of binoculars is still your best starting point, easy to buy, easy to hold and point, easy to share and easy to carry. A monocular would also serve, but they are harder to hold and point and no less expensive.

Scopes are fundamentally bad designs imho, because they need a clunky tripod and head to be useful, so anything involving a scope is automatically an expedition. In addition, scopes are primarily useful for looking at birds on the water or on the ground, because the narrow field of view makes it hopeless to try to follow a flitting warbler even if it were not in the treetops.

Hi bitternboy, well like you I have one eye thee other is a lazy one I have coped with both bino,s and spotting Scope my spotting scope is light for its size but never the less some form of tripod is essential most of the time I Used a velbon tripod which over nearly 30 years has seen the wars (not litteraly thou) but has played its part during that Time, In recent times I tried to get round this tripod Issue by getting the smallest tripod I could which was a tripod people use for macro photography enough draw backs with this tripod but useful enough to be helpful at Times but would never take the place of the bigger velbon, but I tend to find the smaller or lighter the optic you Are useing suits me for carrying etc as well as easier to watch birds with, one eye has never Stopped me useing a pair of binoculars the pair I use are a pair of 8x30 charles frank had them 44 years this Year I also have a pair of rubber armoured 8x21,s for the garden or somewhere similar, but I did find If over Useing the spotting scope on the tripod for any lenghty periods my eye did ache especially when reservoir Watching.

Hi bitternboy, well like you I have one eye thee other is a lazy one I have coped with both bino,s and spotting Scope my spotting scope is light for its size but never the less some form of tripod is essential most of the time I Used a velbon tripod which over nearly 30 years has seen the wars (not litteraly thou) but has played its part during that Time, In recent times I tried to get round this tripod Issue by getting the smallest tripod I could which was a tripod people use for macro photography enough draw backs with this tripod but useful enough to be helpful at Times but would never take the place of the bigger velbon, but I tend to find the smaller or lighter the optic you Are useing suits me for carrying etc as well as easier to watch birds with, one eye has never Stopped me useing a pair of binoculars the pair I use are a pair of 8x30 charles frank had them 44 years this Year I also have a pair of rubber armoured 8x21,s for the garden or somewhere similar, but I did find If over Useing the spotting scope on the tripod for any lenghty periods my eye did ache especially when reservoir Watching.

The full stop is under the '>' on the keyboard LOL ;);)

Hi Bitternboy,

It is possible to have a decent binocular and also be able convert it to a more powerful hand held telescope with a small booster or doubler. This will not replace a good small spotting scope but if you don't really use one often it can be a handy item to have with you.

For example, few years ago I saw a woman on the Cape May Lighthouse Birding Deck looking through a large Swarovski SLC binocular with one eye. She was holding it vertically with both hands and seemed to be doing well with it. (She was not using a booster on it.)

Since then I obtained a now discontinued Swarovski 7x42 SLC B along with a Swarovski 2x booster. With the booster replacing one eye piece it becomes a 14x42 telescope and I can hold it steadily with both hands in the manner described above.

This can also be done with a 8 or 10x42 SLC making 16 or 20 x 42 telescopes. In any case, with Swarovski, it is expensive but it works very well.

Vortex also makes an inexpensive doubler, shown below, which should fit their 8 and 10x42 binoculars and you can get a handy set up at a much lower price than from Swarovski.

http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/vortex.pl?page=vortex2xdoubler

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back