• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

New Spotting Scopes Minox (1 Viewer)

Thank you, Piergiovanni, for your ongoing work keeping us current.

The new Minox seems a pretty nice package, waterproof and compact.
It is surprisingly heavy, well over 3 pounds for a 60mm scope, but of course that includes the zoom eyepiece. If it measures up optically, it may be a worthy successor to the now discontinued Nikon ED50.
I look forward to your upcoming review, because not only are they always illuminating, they really help firm up the purchase decision.

Sure!

It is surprisingly heavy, well over 3 pounds for a 60mm scope, but of course that includes the zoom eyepiece. If it measures up optically, it may be a worthy successor to the now discontinued Nikon ED50.
I look forward to your upcoming review, because not only are they always illuminating, they really help firm up the purchase decision.

And what in heaven does have in common a 1.65 kg ,mirror ,leupold style ,60 mm ,fixed zoom scope with the nikon ED50???

And what in heaven does have in common a 1.65 kg ,mirror ,leupold style ,60 mm ,fixed zoom scope with the nikon ED50???

The new Minox seems a somewhat more capable scope that like the ED50 is still compact enough to use hand held or with a monopod.

Nikon ED50 discontinued? I doubt it.

Or did you mean the Minox MD50?
o:)

Nikon ED50 discontinued? I doubt it.

Or did you mean the Minox MD50?
o:)

In the US, the ED50 is still offered, but only with the 13-30x zoom.
B&H expects more 16x eye pieces 'soon' and Amazon offers some 27x units from Japan. Does not sound like an active business.
More broadly, the rest of the Fieldscope line has been discontinued.

Nikon has a habit of dragging out funerals, as seen with the SE series for example, so I believe the ED50 is similarly discontinued but not yet dead.

In the US, the ED50 is still offered, but only with the 13-30x zoom.
B&H expects more 16x eye pieces 'soon' and Amazon offers some 27x units from Japan. Does not sound like an active business.
More broadly, the rest of the Fieldscope line has been discontinued.

Nikon has a habit of dragging out funerals, as seen with the SE series for example, so I believe the ED50 is similarly discontinued but not yet dead.

maybe, think the ED50 was released back in 2007, so the product cycle may be ending soon, but it must have been a best seller.

The failed release of the "monarch fieldscopes" was a very strange incident,
does not seem as the spotting scope line is important to nikon anymore,
EDG-scopes does not sell here anymore, though they exist theoretically.
maybe Nikon is ending their presence in this area,
due to financial problems and restructuring I guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back