• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Laymans review of the 8x42 HD's (1 Viewer)

Sitkaspruce

I have being using a pair of 8x42 HD through a season of hunting and fishing and have finally found time to post a review.

I am not an expert by any means, but have used binos for hunting, fishing and bird ID for the last 25 years. I have gone from the cheap busnells to the semi expensive Swarovski SLC. As a hunting guide, I get to look through clients glass and do a lot of comparisons. I have now found my (hopefully) last pair of bino's. The Leupold 8x42 HD are the best to my eyes I have ever used. They fit me great, the weight is great for me , the optics are super clear and very precise.

Here is a list of the pro's and con's that I found.
I compared them to Leica 8x42, swarovski 7x42 SLC, bushnell elites 8x43 and a few cheaper bino's.

Pro's
- Brightness- simply amazing, at the last half an hour of dark, the only other glass that was close was the SLC's. The leica's were good as well, but not as clear in the dim light. Was watching a moose at about 200 yards away and the HD and SLC could count tines, the Leica's and Elite's were close but really needed to concentrate to see the tines.
- Clarity- we have lots of "flat" light days for glassing, hard to see in a distance. This is were the HD's really shined. The others were left behind as far as I was concerned. I could see elk at 800-1000 yards and actually see antlers. The others were hard pressed to see if they were bulls or cows. The spotting scope was the only thing that could see better.
- Weight- as I have hand temour and they help a little on the shakesas I said earlier they helped me as the weight helps steady the hand a little better.
- shape- Fit me just as well as the Leica's did. The big round focus wheel was easy to use with or with out gloves. The twist up eye cups are much better than the old ones and fit my face better. The colour kind of grows on you and after the season I like the colour. The armouring is tough and although I did not drop them, I feel they would take the fall no problem.
- warranty- Leupold enough said
- extras- The bino's come with the usual neck strap and case, but also come with a shoulder harness and a set of eye and objective lens covers. You do not get those with any other bino. I use the harness and it is a good, easily adjustable one. I lost one of the objective lens covers while elk hunting, so will need to replace it.

Cons

-the locking ring- the bino's come with a locking diopter ring so that they stay the same and you can glass one handed. This is a waste of time as far as I am concerned. I have big hands and it was a PITA to even get my fingers in there to lock it. Then when I did and wanted to unlock it, the same thing again. The locking ring was very stiff and hard to turn. Once I had it losened up, it would unlock every once and a while. I can see it being a benifit to some but for me, it was a no go.
-twist up eye cups- This is a problem I had with all twist up eye cups. Keeping them clean, these were especially a pain as they are bigger than some others and very heavily greased so eveything in the bush seamed to gather in the eye cups. I eventually carried Q-tips and cleaned then out all the time.
-Price- I think that all bino's are over priced and do not reflect the actaull cost of the bino's. I got these for a steal, so I am not complaining to much.

Over all I am very impressed the the HD's and believe it will take a very different change to make me buy anything else. I am not taking anything away from the others and in fact was going to buy the Leica's from Doug, until i looked through the HD's. Like I said before, this is a laymans review of the bino's and by no means a professional description.

I would recomment this glass to anyone who wants a great a pair of bino's.

Cheers

Thanks for the review!

I'm glad I ran across your review. I will use them for birding and was concerned about the weight. But I also have a slight tremor once in a while and this makes a lot of sense. I almost bought a lightweight bin.

I just ordered these....hope they aren't backordered.

Carolyn

I have being using a pair of 8x42 HD through a season of hunting and fishing and have finally found time to post a review.

I am not an expert by any means, but have used binos for hunting, fishing and bird ID for the last 25 years. I have gone from the cheap busnells to the semi expensive Swarovski SLC. As a hunting guide, I get to look through clients glass and do a lot of comparisons. I have now found my (hopefully) last pair of bino's. The Leupold 8x42 HD are the best to my eyes I have ever used. They fit me great, the weight is great for me , the optics are super clear and very precise.

Here is a list of the pro's and con's that I found.
I compared them to Leica 8x42, swarovski 7x42 SLC, bushnell elites 8x43 and a few cheaper bino's.

Pro's
- Brightness- simply amazing, at the last half an hour of dark, the only other glass that was close was the SLC's. The leica's were good as well, but not as clear in the dim light. Was watching a moose at about 200 yards away and the HD and SLC could count tines, the Leica's and Elite's were close but really needed to concentrate to see the tines.
- Clarity- we have lots of "flat" light days for glassing, hard to see in a distance. This is were the HD's really shined. The others were left behind as far as I was concerned. I could see elk at 800-1000 yards and actually see antlers. The others were hard pressed to see if they were bulls or cows. The spotting scope was the only thing that could see better.
- Weight- as I have hand temour and they help a little on the shakesas I said earlier they helped me as the weight helps steady the hand a little better.
- shape- Fit me just as well as the Leica's did. The big round focus wheel was easy to use with or with out gloves. The twist up eye cups are much better than the old ones and fit my face better. The colour kind of grows on you and after the season I like the colour. The armouring is tough and although I did not drop them, I feel they would take the fall no problem.
- warranty- Leupold enough said
- extras- The bino's come with the usual neck strap and case, but also come with a shoulder harness and a set of eye and objective lens covers. You do not get those with any other bino. I use the harness and it is a good, easily adjustable one. I lost one of the objective lens covers while elk hunting, so will need to replace it.

Cons

-the locking ring- the bino's come with a locking diopter ring so that they stay the same and you can glass one handed. This is a waste of time as far as I am concerned. I have big hands and it was a PITA to even get my fingers in there to lock it. Then when I did and wanted to unlock it, the same thing again. The locking ring was very stiff and hard to turn. Once I had it losened up, it would unlock every once and a while. I can see it being a benifit to some but for me, it was a no go.
-twist up eye cups- This is a problem I had with all twist up eye cups. Keeping them clean, these were especially a pain as they are bigger than some others and very heavily greased so eveything in the bush seamed to gather in the eye cups. I eventually carried Q-tips and cleaned then out all the time.
-Price- I think that all bino's are over priced and do not reflect the actaull cost of the bino's. I got these for a steal, so I am not complaining to much.

Over all I am very impressed the the HD's and believe it will take a very different change to make me buy anything else. I am not taking anything away from the others and in fact was going to buy the Leica's from Doug, until i looked through the HD's. Like I said before, this is a laymans review of the bino's and by no means a professional description.

I would recomment this glass to anyone who wants a great a pair of bino's.

Cheers

Great review and, in my opinion, accurate in all respects. The build quality and optics of this binocular are truly remarkable, and the view in all light conditions continues to amaze all of the skeptics who try it (and, as we are in the midst of spring migration in Texas, both Leupold skeptics and migratory birds abound).

Although I recently bought the 10x GR HD's, my findings are very much like yours. I'm very, very impressed with the glass, ergos, and overall build quality. They are a joy to look through.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back