• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Zen Ray 7x36 Ed2 Re-sale Value - A1 (1 Viewer)

gcole

United States
I have been looking on the well known auction site & internet since last fall for used 7x36 ED2 to get a idea of how many 2nd hand Zens have been sold & their going prices. Its been 8 months since my first purchase. What I see is very positive & says what I thought the first day I opened, looked thru a Zen ray... Wow what a remarkable binocular these are keepers. I have only seen four 7x36ED2 sold, at a average price of $292.00. Thats only a 21% negative return on the price I paid direct From Zen Ray ($369.95). I know all the negative minded people who did not have much good to say about Zens, for what ever reason are now thinking so what ? ... Well you don't have to be a math expert to come up with the same idea I have..... A large number of people are not parting with their Zens & the ones who are , for what ever reason are getting most of what they have paid. I have since purchased a 2nd new 7x36 ED2 for a family member , who was just amazed at the quality for under $400. I for one sure hope Zen Ray keeps producing such highend products well into the future & look foward to seeing new products......Iam not employed by Zen ray or in any way making any $$$$$ for this Post......gcole

Last edited:
Gcole, I can relate to what your saying. I have bought and sold many optics some really good. The Zen 7x36 is one I will keep along with a handful of others. Some glass just fit and appeal to me these are one of the few! I had two samples the one I kept is a fine piece of glass and a joy to use actually bettering some much more expensive glass! I like the idea of having a 7x semi compact roof prism, it fills that niche in my optics bag!!! I just wont bye another Binocular under 32mm the exit pupils suck and my hands are to big! Just can't hold them steady enough tried all the best and yes the view was awsome! Still I think a good 32mm or in the Zen's case 36mm is the only way to go! Bryce...

Hello Gwen and Bryce,

Last spring, before they were delivered, and immediately after some BFers received theirs, there was a lot of hype. Problems, like glare and crescents, were revealed and have been remedied. The current version is a very good binocular, especially at the price, but it is not a great binocular. Its strong points include great suppression of CA, a fine wide view, and marvelous colour rendition. The seven power's stability is very satisfying. I also find that the binocular reduces reflection off the eyepiece from strong light behind the observer, especially the observer who wears specs.
Its weak points include a stiff focussing wheel, which in cold, say -9ºC, weather is rather difficult. I have also become accustomed to the alphas' central control for the dioptre setting. The edges are soft and the "sweet spot" may not suit everyone, which is a necessary product of designing a 9º field of view. I have doubts as to whether this binocular will hold up as well, as alpha glasses but only time will tell.
I think this binocular is more than worthy of consideration for this who are looking for an all around binocular, at an attractive price.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood

Last edited:
Hello Gwen and Bryce,

Last spring, before they were delivered, and immediately after some BFers received theirs, there was a lot of hype. Problems, like glare and crescents, were revealed and have been remedied. The current version is a very good binocular, especially at the price, but it is not a great binocular. Its strong points include great suppression of CA, a fine wide view, and marvelous colour rendition. The seven power's stability is very satisfying. I also find that the binocular reduces reflection off the eyepiece from strong light behind the observer, especially the observer who wears specs.
Its weak points include a stiff focussing wheel, which in cold, say -9ºC, weather is rather difficult. I have also become accostumed to the alphas' central control for the dioptre setting. The edges are soft and the "sweet spot" may not suit everyone, which is a necessary product of designing a 9º field of view. I have doubts as to whether this binocular will hold up as well, as alpha glasses but only time will tell.
I think this binocular is more than worthy of consideration for this who are looking for an all around binocular, at an attractive price.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood
Arthur: Thats whats great about this forum, we can agree to disagree. You say its a good binocular but not great. I say its a great binocular. Iam sure there will be many more discussions to come on just what is the defintion of a great binocular...........Gwen.

Arthur: Thats whats great about this forum, we can agree to disagree. You say its a good binocular but not great. I say its a great binocular. Iam sure there will be many more discussions to come on just what is the defintion of a great binocular...........Gwen.

Gwen,

Let me add that I am truly satisfied with my updated 7x36 ED2. The day's bird watching is always preceded by my choice of optics and the Zen is often chosen before an alpha glass. Because of today's frigid weather, I did not take the Zen but I did carry a Zeiss 8x32 FL, which says something about both glasses. In my estimation, the Zeiss is the complete optical and mechanical package but it surely dented my purse.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur :hi:

I recently sold my pair of 7x36 ED2 for $335. In Sweden a buyer would have to pay tax if he ordered it from the states so I guess it was a fair price for us both.

I resold my 7x36ED2s for $300 in the states, which I think indicates healthy demand. They're a good bin, but one look through my SV's and I knew I'd never pick them up again.

I recently sold my pair of 7x36 ED2 for $335. In Sweden a buyer would have to pay tax if he ordered it from the states so I guess it was a fair price for us both.

Kristoffer:

You seemed to be very happy and proud of these ZR's what was your reason for selling? I do recall some trouble with eyecups also that you reported.

Jerry

I really think they are great bins, but I recently bought a pair of Zeiss FL and my ZRs was not out even once after i got my FLs so I decided to sell them.

I had no problems with the eyecups on the ZRs, only real issue I had with them was the stiff and slow focus wheel and it annoys me, but I have heard that ZR can fix the stiff wheel. The FL is better, but it cost me 4 times as much ;)

Kristoffer:

You seemed to be very happy and proud of these ZR's what was your reason for selling? I do recall some trouble with eyecups also that you reported.

Jerry

I really think they are great bins, but I recently bought a pair of Zeiss FL and my ZRs was not out even once after i got my FLs so I decided to sell them.

Odd how opinions can be so different.After I used my Zens,I decided that the difference between my fl's wasn't that great and sold my fl's!

Odd how opinions can be so different.After I used my Zens,I decided that the difference between my fl's wasn't that great and sold my fl's!
I remember a time when I too would spend big bucks on the likes of leica or Zeiss but when the US dollar started to decline overseas & their prices started to cost more than a months vacation on the Florida coast , I decided the slight difference in optical quality was not worth it...gwen

Great news for Charles ;) But I really can´t live with a slow and stiff focus wheel, the FL wheel is both smooth and fast. Also I prefer the view in the FL, better in all respects, but not by much. But all in all, my ED2 didn´t see any birds after this.

If you could somehow outwardly "disguise" various bino it would probably surprise us what glass we would choose. I think we're all somewhat swayed by brand bias before we look through them. I've looked through my 10x Zen ED2's numerous times as compared to my neighbor's 10x EL's and there's not a nickle's worth of difference to be seen and he agrees.

The ED2 has really great glass. But there is more to a bin then the glass . Focuswheel, eyecups, dioptre, grip etc.

If you could somehow outwardly "disguise" various bino it would probably surprise us what glass we would choose. I think we're all somewhat swayed by brand bias before we look through them. I've looked through my 10x Zen ED2's numerous times as compared to my neighbor's 10x EL's and there's not a nickle's worth of difference to be seen and he agrees.

I haven't used my EL 8.5x much after getting my 8x43 ED. Now I used 7x36 ED2 most of the time, occasionally with 8x43 ED. I may end up selling my EL to buy a Nikon SE before they disappear.

The ED2 has really great glass. But there is more to a bin then the glass . Focuswheel, eyecups, dioptre, grip etc.

Kristoffer:

It seems some of the early cheerleaders are changing teams, you are correct
in your observations, I agree with you. ;)

As Brock would say, "Nothing satisifies like quality".

Jerry

I haven't used my EL 8.5x much after getting my 8x43 ED. Now I used 7x36 ED2 most of the time, occasionally with 8x43 ED. I may end up selling my EL to buy a Nikon SE before they disappear.

Falcon:

If you can, don't be too quick to be rid of the EL, good idea to get the SE,
that way you could have 2 of the finest optics on earth. Long after the
ZR's have lost their luster, you can go with the "reference standards".

Jerry

I remember a time when I too would spend big bucks on the likes of leica or Zeiss but when the US dollar started to decline overseas & their prices started to cost more than a months vacation on the Florida coast , I decided the slight difference in optical quality was not worth it...gwen

There is always a law of diminishing return. With ZEN ED and its cousin at Hawke, that curve just got skewed more to the affordable level. Hopefully, the alpha will repsond by offering their top model at sub $1000 level.

Yes and no. I think for the price that it can´t be beat, and if your biggest concern is the glass you should buy the ED2. But if you can afford it and is picky, there are betters of course.

Kristoffer:

It seems some of the early cheerleaders are changing teams, you are correct
in your observations, I agree with you. ;)

As Brock would say, "Nothing satisifies like quality".

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back