• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Best non alpha Compact binocular ? (1 Viewer)

AlbertoJ

Hello, I´m searching an hight quality compact binocular with 3 or more exit pupil.
Zeiss, Leica, Swarorvski and Nikon only have 8x20 and 10x25, but I´d preffer 8x24, 8x25, 7x25, but with the same or very near optical quality.
What´s about Kowa 8x25 DCF, Pentax 8x25 DCF and Minox BD 8x24 BR ?

Hola, Alberto. I´ve had Leica Ultravid compacts, but sold them (although they were superb). My current favourite compacts are Opticron DBA Oasis 8x21. I find them excellent, 7.5 degree FOV (widest in a compact that I know of), and they are very sharp and contrasty. They´re not quite as petite as the Leicas, but they are rubber-armoured and feel like "big" bincoculars in the hand.

If you like reverse-porro compacts, you can get similar optical quality to the big-name roofs, for a lot less money. I´ve owned Vortex Vanquish 8x26, and currently have Opticron Taiga 8x25. Both are optically excellent, the former being waterproof with a slightly wider FOV. They are comparatively cheap.
Also recommended by other BFers, are the Olympus Tracker 8x25 and the Nikon Travelite Ex 8x25. I´ve never seen these, though.

Let us know what you get!

Alberto,
This is probably the best. I don't know if they are available in Europe. Bushnell Elite 7 x 26 Custom Compact.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/bushnell/bushnell-elite-7x26-custom-compact-binocular

Bob

PS: It is not waterproof.

Yes. Better than any of the "alphas", optically. And has held that distinction for about 25 years. The last model to be in production from the 1980's Bausch & Lomb "Audubon Custom" series. I have 2 of these, the old B&L one, and the Elite. I think the latest incarnation is the E2 or somesuch.
The only complaint I have about my Elite model is the horrid little strap attachments. But optically, for a compact, the best.

Yes. Better than any of the "alphas", optically. And has held that distinction for about 25 years. The last model to be in production from the 1980's Bausch & Lomb "Audubon Custom" series. I have 2 of these, the old B&L one, and the Elite. I think the latest incarnation is the E2 or somesuch.
The only complaint I have about my Elite model is the horrid little strap attachments. But optically, for a compact, the best.

Have to disagree on the Bushnell Customs 7x26. Had a pair and sold em. I much prefer the optics of the 8x20 and 10x25 alpha's. I have the Zeiss 8x20 Victory's and the Nikon 10x25 LX's. These smaller alphas outperform the larger aperture cheaper glass because of the superior coatings IMO.

Has anyone tried the Fujinon 7x28's? If they're anything like the bigger FMTR's (7 and 10x50's) they could be a runner. Had my eye on a few pairs at that auction site but the bids always seem to go higher than my wallet does. Waterproof w/ 7deg FOV, not too shabby but they are IF.

Hello, I´m searching an hight quality compact binocular with 3 or more exit pupil.
Zeiss, Leica, Swarorvski and Nikon only have 8x20 and 10x25, but I´d preffer 8x24, 8x25, 7x25, but with the same or very near optical quality.
What´s about Kowa 8x25 DCF, Pentax 8x25 DCF and Minox BD 8x24 BR ?
The answer is simple--Just buy a Leupold Katmai 6x32 and call it a compact. ;)

Bob
Kentucky, USA

Though I have looked at the Pentax 8x25s, was not all that impressed. They used to have a 9x28 that was better. But the 8x25 was no better thatn Nikon Sportstar 8x25, which is not phase coated. It is not really bad, either, the Nikon. Better than no binocular in hand. I think the Nikons have gone mostly to the Trailblazer, very similar to old Sportstar
http://www.eagleoptics.com/binoculars/nikon/nikon-trailblazer-8x25-atb-binocular
http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-Sportstar-8x25-Binocular-Silver/dp/B0001HKUZC

Thank you for reply.

Cost isn´t a factor for me in for life binocular (in a compact binocular of course).

The problem of 2.5 exit pupil isn´t about brightness but ease of use.
If Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski or Nikon make 8x25 or 7x25 binoculars, I´d buy one sure.
I watched through Kowa 8x25 DCF and I liked it, but I haven´t compared it to Alpha binoculars.
And I don´t want low quality level because I want compact binocular complements my Zeiss FL 7x42.

I gotta go with Jay & Pennsy Bob on the 7x26 Elite. Combination of substantially larger ep, better fov, easier to get a good hold of (unless you have hands like the poor guy in the Burger King commercial) and at least equal resolution & brightness.....and at 1/3 (or so) the cost of the baby roofs. And Dennis....u say the coatings of the "alfas" make up for a half-again smaller ep? As far as I know, about the same materials are used in all of the FMC binos of today (arcane stuff, like ZrO2, MfFl, et al), perhaps different receipes...I'm puzzled.

I'm new here and certainly a novice when if comes to bins, but in the last few weeks, I've tried out about two dozen smaller pairs, including offerings from Zeiss, Bushnell, Nikon, Pentax, Olympus, Steiner, Viking, Celestron, RSPB and Delta. Apart from reverse porros, I thought none of the sub £200 were worth considering at all. The two standout pairs were the Zeiss Victory 8x20 and the Bushnell Elite (Custom) 7x26.

They are very different beasts, but I can see why they both have fans. Technically I think the Zeiss had the edge. Marginly more resolution (and I do mean marginly), flatter field of view, sharper edges and perhaps a slightly more natural colour balance. However, I liked the Bushnells a lot more. Almost the resolution, a lot brighter, wider fov, better depth/3D perception, more vivid (but still natural looking) colour, better exit pupil, enough eye relief for glasses, more comfortable in the hand, and more natural focus. Of course it's a lot heavier, not waterproof, and a bit less pocketable. It's also half the price.

To me it's a bit like high end hifi. You know that vinyl reccords and valve amps don't give the most accurate sound reproduction but many love the flawed but lush sound. However the imperfections will irritate the hell out of others.

I'm a vinyl and valve man, and loved the little imperfections (or intentional design characteristics) of the Bushnells. I thought they enhanced the viewing experience. If you're a digital kind of person, you'll probably hate them.

David

Thank you for reply.

Cost isn´t a factor for me in for life binocular (in a compact binocular of course).

If Leica, Zeiss, Swarovski or Nikon make 8x25 or 7x25 binoculars, I´d buy one sure.
I watched through Kowa 8x25 DCF and I liked it, but I haven´t compared it to Alpha binoculars.
And I don´t want low quality level because I want compact binocular complements my Zeiss FL 7x42.

Alberto,
The 7 x 26 Bushnell is emphatically not "low quality level." In fact, the current model has improvements in the diopter adjustment over my model. The history of the binocular is one of steady improvement on a proven design.
Cordially,
Bob

Thank you for reply.

Pardon me for questioning your question, but what do you mean exactly by ease of use? Why would all the alpha companies without exception make 8x20 and 10x25 models if they were not the best suited to compact applications?

If money were no object then I'd certainly take another look at the Alphas, since they are the only ones that will complement your Zeiss FL in quality. My preference is for the 10x25 configuration.

Ed

Pardon me for questioning your question, but what do you mean exactly by ease of use? Why would all the alpha companies without exception make 8x20 and 10x25 models if they were not the best suited to compact applications?

If money were no object then I'd certainly take another look at the Alphas, since they are the only ones that will complement your Zeiss FL in quality. My preference is for the 10x25 configuration.

Ed

Hello Elkcub,

Ease of use means it´s easier watch through a 3 or 3.5 exit pupil than 2.5 mm, because if you move your eyes or binocular (although movement was minimal) you see the black edge round the exit pupil. And the sensation is as if the quality of vision was worse than if your eyes and binoculars are perfectly aligned.

I have look through Leica, Zeiss and Swarovski 8x20 and 10x25, and I liked them a lot optically, but I must try them again and compare to the best non Alpha binoculars with a 3 or more mm exit pupil.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back