• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What did I miss? Terra ED??? (1 Viewer)

Greetings. I look forward to try and evaluate this new line of binoculars. However, I am not sure that Zeiss and lower end products can go hand-in-hand easily. I understand that users of Zeiss Diafun several years ago were not very happy with its performance. Perhaps I am wrong, so better to wait and see.

Well, I am gob-smacked to find the new Zeiss introduced at a lower price point than Conquest HD.

My prediction was that they would bring a model in between the Conq HD and the FL / HT group. I will look around for a hat later and eat it.

BMW-Mini / Audi / Benz have found that you can diversify premium brands into lower price points without spoiling the brand value so I guess Zeiss is justified in trying to do the same. And if it brings CZ Sports Optics shed-loads of funds to plough back into their products then good luck.

Going back to the web site info, bear in mind the detail needs a bit of caution as errors and contradictions do happen:

The 8x42 is touted as ideal for birding in open country. Is there a model on the way that will be pushed for closed conditions?

The closer focus is praised in this way "and unusually close focus: x42s to 5.25". The wording implies a model other than a 42 is coming.

If Zeiss pull off the requisite bang for the buck balance then it should hoover up new recruits to the brand who will hopefully want to upgrade to Conquest or FL / HD later.

If.

Lee

How successful was the Diafun line?
I still see an occasional Classic Dialyt around the neck of a birder, but not one Diafun.
What does that say?

How successful was the Diafun line?
I still see an occasional Classic Dialyt around the neck of a birder, but not one Diafun.
What does that say?

Yo Elmo

It says that Diafuns were designed by a contracted design agency (FROG) to appeal to folks who were not traditional bins buyers. The brochure depicts people ski-ing, golfing and yachting and described as 'people who demand only the best in their lives'. They looked futuristic and obviously plastic.

Birders and Nature Observers probably ran for the hills when they saw them and haven't paused for breath since.

Lee

So... we've got a Terrafun! Let's see... photo-shoot smiles, light beer commercial beautiful crowd, perfect clothes, a 48' Swan yacht... and the experience made perfect by the fact that all aboard are wearing (verb choice was intentional) Zeiss Terrafuns around their necks (as the "in" crowd eschews harnesses).

When price is a limiting factor, I'll continue to recommend used quality binoculars from a reputable shop over low-price posers. I've contributed older Zeiss and Leica binoculars to the population of used goods. I know they are better than a lot of new stuff out there.

"... 'junk' because it's affordable. The epitome of snobbery ..." Ha, so now I have another method to ignore alphas. (The first is this: http://www.birdforum.net/showpost.php?p=2621473&postcount=8.)

I saw James' post because it was quoted. You'd think people would be delighted that a top company like Zeiss, which, at one time did make affordable bins and also sold gazillions to the military, decided to come down to Earth again by offering a Volksbin for the common man, but instead this good news is met with revulsion even before "first light", because the price is too low. It's that snob mentality that I'm fed up with.

Zeiss isn't doing this out of magnanimity, it just makes good business sense to diversify and offer something for everybody, particularly at a time when Europe is in the doldrums and Americans save up to do their big ticket shopping once a year during Black Friday weekend. And most importantly, the chief demographic for alpha sales, baby boomers, will be retiring at 10,000 each day for the next 19 years, and the Gen Xers replacing them make less money are are fewer in number.

Lastly, with all the union busting that has been going on in various states across the U.S., the powers-that-be are trying to lower U.S. wages to be more competitive with China and the Pacific Rim. That's not only a very bad idea, but unnecessary since our lower energy costs, savings in transportation to the product's end market (the U.S.), and tax incentives are enough to lure manufacturers back to our shores, and that is already happening, but none-the-less, U.S. wages have been stagnant for 5 years and if this assault against labor continues, wages will likely drop.

All this has wider implications that go well beyond some hurt for luxury product makers, but they will not be immune. Even luxury auto makers have been offering more affordable (relatively speaking) vehicles due to these trends:

http://www.forbes.com/2007/07/05/vehicles-cars-affordable-forbeslife-cx_jh_0706vehicles_slide.html

I hope that the quality and QC on the Terra ED is good, so it not only offers a Zeiss for "the rest of us" (though we are a minority on these forums), but if successful, it will open the eyes of other top companies including Swaro (which was totally out of touch by calling the $900 CL an "entry level" bin) that there's a major fork in the road coming up, and either they become a multi-tier company like Nikon, Minox, Vortex, and Zeiss to adjust to the new economic norm, or they will become a "boutique company" that caters to the decreasing deep pocket demographic and to professionals, and they will have to keep raising the price per unit to compensate. They could succeed either way, though I think the latter carries more risk.

<B>

Last edited:
So... we've got a Terrafun! Let's see... photo-shoot smiles, light beer commercial beautiful crowd, perfect clothes, a 48' Swan yacht... and the experience made perfect by the fact that all aboard are wearing (verb choice was intentional) Zeiss Terrafuns around their necks (as the "in" crowd eschews harnesses).

When price is a limiting factor, I'll continue to recommend used quality binoculars from a reputable shop over low-price posers. I've contributed older Zeiss and Leica binoculars to the population of used goods. I know they are better than a lot of new stuff out there.

Elmo

Perhaps I should have made it clear that when I said they looked futuristic and obviously plastic, I was referring to the bins not the people they were aimed at LOL.

Lee

Brock,
Your guess is that Zeiss would not tarnish its reputation by selling "junk" Terras. Seems reasonable... but can one infer you also believe Zeiss burnished its reputation by offering the Diafun?
Elmo

Last edited:
Brock,
Your guess it that Zeiss would not tarnish its reputation by selling "junk" Terras. Seems reasonable... but can one infer you also believe Zeiss burnished its reputation by offering the Diafun?
Elmo

Elmo,

I don't see anyone not buying an FL or HT who is old enough to remember the Diafun (now I get the "Terrafun" comment :). The company's reputation seems to have survived intact.

Plus, what was Zeiss offering at the top shelf at the time of the Diafun? The original Victory, if I'm not mistaken, which didn't win many accolades either.

But now, Zeiss has advanced the roof model to the point where there's more advanced features trickling down to the lower price point such as phase coatings, reflective prism coatings, more advanced AR coatings, ED glass, better close focus, and ergonomics similar to the Conquest HD. The Terra ED's listed features and specs suggest that it's going to be a much better bin than the Diafun.

How much better we'll find out after the SHOT show.

Big Bird

Last edited:
Okay... okay... I hear you.

But without more... I'll take any of your rightfully precious used Nikon porros over a sight unseen (pun intended) Terra ED as the last binocular I'll ever own.

Last edited:
Three sites have listed prices of just over $300.00, so either they are all wrong or this will really be a completely new tier of bin from Zeiss.

I should do a mea culpa for Brock, as he was right.......I cannot judge these bins based solely on price, they might just be terrific and might prove a game changer for the big three, forcing Leica / Swaro to also try to compete in the ''cheap'' category.

That said, there is something to brand ''cachet'', and it isn't snobbery but some element of uniqueness. I would really prefer not to see the blue shield everywhere I go!

Up on the Roof

Okay... okay... I hear you.

But without more... I'll take any of your rightfully precious used Nikon porros over a sight unseen (pun intended) Terra ED as the last binocular I'll ever own.

Well, I won't be trading my SEs or EIIs for a Terra ED even though it has "Pure Performance" and is "Clearly ZEISS" because I prefer porros and the "warm" color balance of Nikon bins.

Eventually, though, I would like climb "up on the roof" for all terrain, all weather adventures, and the Terrafun will probably fall within my budget of $400-$600.

My all time favorite:
Up on the Roof

<B>

Well, I won't be trading my SEs or EIIs for a Terra ED even though it has "Pure Performance" and is "Clearly ZEISS" because I prefer porros and the "warm" color balance of Nikon bins.

Eventually, though, I would like climb "up on the roof" for all terrain, all weather adventures, and the Terrafun will probably fall within my budget of $400-$600.

My all time favorite:
Up on the Roof

<B>

Brock:

I also like a quality binocular that is a good value.

From what I've found from gleaning the Zeiss website:

The Conquest HD, has an aluminum chassis, has Lotutec, T* coatings,
HD lens coatings, made in Germany, and has many favorable reviews.

The Terra ED, has MC coatings, I am thinking a plastic body, di-electric
coatings, HD lens coatings, and a lighter weight. Not sure where these
are built.

So that means they are very new. ;). And it is up to those here who
like to speculate and talk about these things. Pricing is not known. Those
websites above are not to be found.

Jerry

I happen to find a 5.5 inch 42mm binocular as an acceptable alternate to a 32mm binocular. Not to big or bulky to carry all day.

From what I hear (as I'm not an optic designer) the shorter OAL isn't optimal for image. So... maybe it makes some sense to do this as a non alpha, lower quality glass....???

I've owned Leupold Cascades and Mojaves which are also 5.5" 42mm binoculars. I'm hoping this one steps up the image.

I like the view from the outside, will investigate the view from the inside when the opportunity arises.

CG

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back