• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Opticron IS60 and SDL Zoom Eyepiece? (1 Viewer)

pjohnson

Birdwatcher
Hi

I've had my Opticron IS60 for a year or so now and the original 25x eyepiece is good but I do miss the "zoomability" that I have with my Kowa 821. For a while now I've been mulling over whether to replace the eyepiece with a zoomed version but can't seem to make a decision.

Having read various opinions on this forum about the IS Standard, IS Pro and HDF zoom eyepieces I think I'm moving toward the HDF eyepiece (the 40862). However I have two questions:

1. I have noticed on the Opticron website and also seen mentioned here another eyepiece called "SDL" (model no. 40935) but I am unsure if this is compatible or what sort of quality I would get. Has anyone had any experience of this eyepiece? Possibly even fitted to an IS60? If this is better than the HDF then I could be persuaded :)

2. When looking into purchasing the eyepiece I notice that although it is mentioned on the Opticron website that an adapter is needed to fit HDF or SDL eyepieces I am confused as when I look on Warehouse Express they don't seem to quote the same information. Can someone confirm the following please:

HDF 40862 -> 409275 - Photo Adapter Ring ???
SDL 40935 -> 409275 - As above

Opticron seem to quote things with an "S" on the end and Warehouse Express do not, except on a couple of items they have a "5" instead.

I hope someone can point me in the right direction! :)

Many Thanks

Peter.

I have now purchased the Opticron SDL eye-piece for my Opticron IS-60 Fieldscope, with a little help from Warehouse Express about the adapters. Aparently there was a mistake on their website with regards to the codes and I have now purchased the correct adapter.

Initial tests in the gloom this evening worked well and I am really impressed with the eye-piece, far superior to the fixed 25x I bought with the scope. I will report back after some more testing over the weekend.

Thanks,

Peter.

Well I took the scope and new eye-piece down to Pagham Harbour and although the light wasn't great the eye-piece worked well. Using the zoom beyond around 40x made the image dark but it wasn't unusable. Up to around 40x the eye-piece was clear and bright, no chromatic abberations or softening at the edges. The only time I noticed anything was at 18x where there is a slight orange edge to the image, but this disappears when zoomed slightly.

I was able to compare it with the HDF zoom eye-piece attached to a ES80 and under 40x it was as good. It would have been nice if it had been a bright sunny day but you can't have everything.

All in all I'm very pleased with it. Despite others comments in previous posts (and no answers to my own post) the eye-piece is just about worth the money, if it didn't have the orange edging at 18x it would be perfect!

Hi Peter I am glad you have posted this thread as I am seriously thinking of buy an Opticron scope.I had narrowed it down to the IS 60 and had wondered whether the SDL eye piece was worth the extra cash and your thread has made my mind up.Thanks for the information.

Graham

Hi Peter I am glad you have posted this thread as I am seriously thinking of buy an Opticron scope.I had narrowed it down to the IS 60 and had wondered whether the SDL eye piece was worth the extra cash and your thread has made my mind up.Thanks for the information.

Graham

Your welcome, glad my findings were of use to someone!

Anyone having a problem fitting an eyepiece to a scope - ring Opticron directly - I needed an adaptor for a Mighty Midget, the nice Lady posted it overnight and didn't charge me anything.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back