• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Is Bahrain in the Western Palearctic? (1 Viewer)

johnraven

I just had the misfortune to visit Bahrain for a business meeting. But from the taxi I did spot Bridled Tern and Common Myna. Can I add them to my western palearctic list and still keep my lister head up high?

John

Not a definitive answer, but I seem to recall reading that the boundaries of the WP are being pushed by guess who? - Birding Tour Holiday operators . . . good business getting people out to the far flung corners for their WP lists. Dreadful isn't it!

Birds of the Western Palearctic takes the south-eastern corner of the region to be where the border of Kuwait and Saudi Arabia reaches the Gulf, so Bahrain isn't in the region according to their reckoning.

Thanks for all the responses!

I seem to recall a recent paper, may be in Birding World, putting pretty much all of the peninsula into Western Palearctic, except may be the south west side on the red sea, which was treated as Africa.

John

I think everything bar Yemen has been included in the Western P. Yemen was excluded due to too many African species being present.

Thanks for all the responses!

I seem to recall a recent paper, may be in Birding World, putting pretty much all of the peninsula into Western Palearctic, except may be the south west side on the red sea, which was treated as Africa.

John

Hi John, I remember reading this article aswell. I think they were speaking in terms of the Western Paleartic as defined by the Handbook (Cramp et al ) & The Greater WP, which would include all of the Arabian peninsular as u mentioned above. So manic listers can add a whole host of new species to look for & the purists can stick to the WP as we know it at the moment.
There might of been some mention of Iran being part of the WP aswell. P.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back