• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Trouble releasing Mourning Dove chick! (1 Viewer)

Leti

Hello everyone! I am new to the boards and couldn't be more excited that I found them. Hopefully, someone here can help me with a Mourning Dove "situation" I am having.

On June 21, my friend asked me to care for a Mourning Dove squab that had fallen into her cat's paws. I am guessing the chick was knocked out of the nest by recent thunderstorms. I tried to search for the nest but it was nowhere to be found in the pouring rain. I have since cared for the chick to the best of my abilities. When I first got it it I estimated it to be at about 4 DAYS OLD. Now, July 4, I am supposing that it is about 17 days old.

I am ready to let the babe go, except that everytime I go outside to release it, it doesn't seem to gain enough altitude- which is very crucial seeing as to how I have three cats, two of which would not mind getting a tasty morsel of bird. I do not want to release the bird too early or too soon. I am aware that mourning dove parents let the squab fly off after about two weeks, but continue caring for it for another two weeks.

I want to know two things: if someone could verify the age currently (an estimate would be great!) by the attached pictures, AND at about what time I shoudl release it and not have to worry about it not being able to fly high enough or not being able to fend on its own. Any tips or anything would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!!! :)

Picture_751.jpg

Picture_753.jpg

Hello Leti and on behalf of the staff here at BirdForum.net, a warm welcome to you.

That the bird has survived this long is a credit to your care. From the looks of it, it is probably a bit too young yet to fly. I cannot give you an age estimate but it looks younger than what is fledging here at my place as we speak. It does need to have some workouts though.

Is there any possible way you can transfer this bird to a rehabber at this point? If not, I would appeal to you to please keep the cats in for a couple of weeks and let the bird stay in an open cage outside. Perhaps up high enough to discourage foot traffic from disturbing it. This way, hopefully, it will start learning to fly on its own to come down for feedings. Good luck and keep us posted.

I'm not sure about Mourning Doves as we don't have them in the UK, but I have a similar species - Java doves. My pair recently raised two youngsters, and it was 4 weeks before they could fly properly. They are now 6 weeks old and only just confident at taking off and landing (they are in a big aviary, couldn't let them loose as they are not a native species, and they wouldn't last 5 minutes with predators either) Good luck with yours, I would allow it at least another couple of weeks though before you would attempt to release it, I guess it will learn where to find food?

Hi Leti

I live nearby in Pembroke Pines (broward) and currently have a small dove about the same age that I am raising. Right now I have him in an outside cage where he is learning how to feed himself. A bit too young to release, still developing flight feathers. Needs to be kept at least another week, especially if cats are in the area. Is it feeding itself?

I have 4 years of experience in wildlife rehablilitation and am currently volunteering with a licensed rehabber. I could take your baby off your hands and keep it with mine, so they will have company, and they can get released together. I will PM you my phone # if you want to get in touch.

What did you feed your squab?
I recieved a Mourning Dove today that was in a nest that had to be removed in a vineyard. I recieved it 3rd party and have no way to return it to its parents, so I may have to raise it and release it. I will be calling a local rehabber tomorrow, but if she's full (which happens often), does anyone here know what to feed them and how to care for them for a few weeks? I have kept other species before, but want to be certain on the diet of a youngster, if anyone can share some insight.
Please email response, in case I can't find this tomorrow. :)
Thanks!

~Michael
triadtuning(a)hotmail.com
(a)=@

Hi Michael and welcome to BirdForum.net.

Young doves feed on crop milk from their parents so I'm not sure what to tell you w/o knowing the age of the dove. I know the older fledglings will readily eat seed under my feeders so I guess it is going to be a guessing game for you until you can talk to a rehabber. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

There are a couple of products out there for baby birds. The one I use is called NutraStart. I have known others to use Kaytee Exact baby parrot formula as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back