• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Algarve, Portugal. 20th-27th June 2011. (1 Viewer)

Hi, I am new on this beautiful forum, this is my first post!
I was just looking for a trip report of Algarve and Alentejo, this one is amazing! :)
from 5 to 24 august I'm going to visit Portugal, starting from Porto... the last week I want to do some birdwatching in Algarve (my location is at Carvoeiro) and then in Alentejo on the way back...
so I'd like to have suggestions about the best places in these areas because I won't have much time for my beloved birds ;)

Thank you in advance!

PS: sorry for my horrible english!!

Just re-read your trip report again and still can't believe how brilliant all your sightings were, I would love to see just one of your nineteen lifers!!;) The birds certainly came out in force for your day at Baixo Alentejo which sounds like it is a 'must visit' area to visit for holidaying birdwatchers in the Algarve....I will certainly be going there for my next trip there! Your photographs have captured the highlights from your holiday perfectly and it is so nice to see Bee-Eaters at Lagoa dos Salgados...a bird I have never seen there!!o:)

Thanks Emma! The Alentejo is a 'must visit' area indeed, you would love it! It was good to see the Bee-eaters at Lagoa dos Salgados, this holiday was the right time of year for them. I think the Algarve will be a priority holiday for you in the not too distant future!;)

Great report Pam, makes me want to get back to Portugal myself. I never got up into the Alentejo area when we went so really envy your list from there. An awful lot of those 19 lifers would have been the same for me.

Thanks Keith! Get yourself back to Portugal and off to the Alentejo, I will say the same as I said to Emma "you would love it"! It was great to see what I now feel is the 'real' Portugal.

I was just looking for a trip report of Algarve and Alentejo, this one is amazing! :)
from 5 to 24 august I'm going to visit Portugal, starting from Porto... the last week I want to do some birdwatching in Algarve (my location is at Carvoeiro) and then in Alentejo on the way back...
so I'd like to have suggestions about the best places in these areas because I won't have much time for my beloved birds ;)

Thank you in advance!

Hi claudio93,
Thank you for your kind comment.
Carvoeiro Lighthouse and Centaines Cliffs (Blue Rock Thrush and possibly Peregrine Falcon) are worth looking around especially as that will be your base in the Algarve. The lighthouse area is usually good for Spotless Starlings, Sardinian warblers, Goldfinch, Greenfinch and Linnet are a few species you may encounter.

There are many areas good for birding in the Algarve, Alvor Estuary, Quinta Do Lago, Parque Ambiental and nearby Falesia Lagoon, Lagoa dos Salgados, Ria Formosa and of course the Alentejo to name a few! I suggest that you use the 'Search' engine on this forum which will highlight very informative past birding reports, these should give you more than enough information as to what birds you may see in any given area for you to make a decision as to which areas will be best suited for you.

Have a wonderful holiday!

PS: Your English is very good!

Thank you in advance!

Hi Claudio,

I have a fairly recent detailed report of Baixo Alentejo (Castro Verde area) under "Vacational Trip Reports" detailing where to go (and where not to go).

There are others that are probably better, buut mine does give some geographical detail. Its a large area, and you may wish to contact Simon Waites who can guide you for the day at reasonable rates, to most of the best birds on the Alentejo. You may just prefer to potter around yourself, but if you want to see the speciality birds, he knows where they are. You would not regret it.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Pam and wolfbirder!!|=)|
Interesting the lighthouse, especially the Blue Rock Thrush!

I read immediately the Baixo Alentejo report!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back