• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Black Forest - Tengmalm's / Pygmy Owl (1 Viewer)

GMS

I will be on business in Freiburg in the first week of April and will have some (but not much) time for birding. Does anybody know someone who could help me with Tengmalm's Owl (and Pygmy Owl).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi,

a pitty that u didn't receive any helpful answers, surely there are some birders around Freiburg.

I don't live there, but in the near of Nuremberg and we got both species here, tengmalms owl and pygmy owl.

Last week i was lucky to watch male and female pygmy owls mating, without great fear under unbeleivable conditions (10 Meters, sunlight, 7 o'clock p.m.), right from a footpath without any hide in a large forest area (Sebalder Reichswald).

Tengmalms owl is more difficult to watch, they start calling some hours after sunset.

Also European Nightjar and Woodcock are quite common birds of the evening here.

So if You will be in Germany next time with some time to spend.. feel free to send me a pm.

Good birding

Stefan

Hi,

a pitty that u didn't receive any helpful answers, surely there are some birders around Freiburg.

I don't live there, but in the near of Nuremberg and we got both species here, tengmalms owl and pygmy owl.

Last week i was lucky to watch male and female pygmy owls mating, without great fear under unbeleivable conditions (10 Meters, sunlight, 7 o'clock p.m.), right from a footpath without any hide in a large forest area (Sebalder Reichswald).

Tengmalms owl is more difficult to watch, they start calling some hours after sunset.

Also European Nightjar and Woodcock are quite common birds of the evening here.

So if You will be in Germany next time with some time to spend.. feel free to send me a pm.

Good birding

Stefan

Cheers - much appreciated.

I will be on business in Freiburg in the first week of April and will have some (but not much) time for birding. Does anybody know someone who could help me with Tengmalm's Owl (and Pygmy Owl).

Any help would be much appreciated.

hello

I have some friends who will stay near Freiburg :(for holidays) if you have any locations to visit for birding it will be great!!

many thanks
Didier
(Paris)

hello

I have some friends who will stay near Freiburg :(for holidays) if you have any locations to visit for birding it will be great!!

many thanks
Didier
(Paris)

Freiburg is good for Alpine Swift.
At the pass from Bötzingen to Voigtsburg is chance for Cirl Bunting ( from pass to about 200 m west ). But I suppose it is hard to find new.
Near Freiburg You can also look for Freiburger Rieselfeld. Melodious Warbler was reported there.
In the Kaiserstuhl Lenzenberg near Ihringen is intersting. Not so easy to find, ask people in Ihringen for Lenzenberg. Park Your car somewhere down and hike in this area.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back