• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Shrew ID Scotland (1 Viewer)

Capercaillie71

I'm always a bit doubtful on my shrew ID, but I think that this is Common, rather than Pygmy, on account of its proportionally shorter tail. Is this right?

Attachments

• shrew.jpg
    shrew.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 83
yes Common shrews tails are about half the length of the body, on pygmy shrew the tail is two thirds the length of the body.

Dean

The tail is also too thin to be pygmy shrew, they have rather thick tails and as detailed above longer proportionally.

Mark

Just for completeness, you can also see the tri-coloured appearance - pale below, mid-tone flank, dark above - that is characteristic of Common Shrew if present (they vary considerably.) Pygmy Shrews are more uniform in colour.

John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back