• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What does it all mean? (2 Viewers)

MacGee

I've noticed a few signs that something is going on with Zeiss.

1. The Zbirding forum, which hasn't been functional for a long time, is now not accepting log-ins.

2. When Sancho tried to compare the top 3 bins in Ireland, he couldn't find a Zeiss to try.

3. I can't find a Zeiss to try in Scotland.

4. dalat has noticed that Zeiss prices are being reduced in Germany.

5. A guy I talked to in a shop that used to stock Zeiss said that they hadn't been able to sell them. He said a really bad review in one of the birding magazines had done for them. People only wanted Leica or Swarovski (in the UK, anyway).

Are Zeiss getting ready to introduce a new killer bin or getting ready to leave the market? Or are they deciding to sell only through mass suppliers, such as Warehouse Express? Or do they just not know their RS from their LBO?

Michael

4. dalat has noticed that Zeiss prices are being reduced in Germany.

Michael

At this writing several USA Zeiss dealers have posted astounding 25% price increases on the FL binocular models, though a search will turn up some old prices at a few outlets.

NP

I've noticed a few signs that something is going on with Zeiss.
I can't find a Zeiss to try in Scotland.

Have you tried Cluny Country Optics? J Graham in Inverness, Macleods in Tain, Mortimers in Grantown, Lizars in Aberdeen, Sloans in Inverurie, Game & Country in Selkirk
Their all listed on the UK website.

mak

Have you tried Cluny Country Optics? J Graham in Inverness, Macleods in Tain, Mortimers in Grantown, Lizars in Aberdeen, Sloans in Inverurie, Game & Country in Selkirk
Their all listed on the UK website.
No, I hadn't tried them all, mak, and on checking, I find that Graham in Inverness and Macleods in Tain do advertise the model that I was looking for. It's still not very handy, but I accept that I overstated the case. I guess I just got carried away.

Michael

It means you're thinking and reading in and too much hype. Good luck when you try threm out though.

Thola, I noticed that several Internetshops in Germany recently quote quite low prices for the Zeiss Victory line.
Eg. orniwelt.de offers the 8x42 for 1304 Euro, other shops for not much more (eg. astroshop.de or optil-pro.de). I think that's surprisingly low, as last summer when I was looking for a bin in Germany, the best deal for a 8x42 Victory I was offered was around 1650 Euro.

So I wonder what's the nonsense and the day dreaming in there?

Florian

Thola, I noticed that several Internetshops in Germany recently quote quite low prices for the Zeiss Victory line.
Eg. orniwelt.de offers the 8x42 for 1304 Euro, other shops for not much more (eg. astroshop.de or optil-pro.de). I think that's surprisingly low, as last summer when I was looking for a bin in Germany, the best deal for a 8x42 Victory I was offered was around 1650 Euro.

So I wonder what's the nonsense and the day dreaming in there?

Florian

- 1650 has been last year's list price. It's increased in the meantime. No one pays list prices.

- 1400 E has been a perfectly normal retail price for the 8x42 FL. 1300 ... yes, slightly lower. But nothing to get excited about at all. It's within the normal range of retail price fluctuations.

I know a place where you can get a Leica 8x42 BL (show room) for 1200 or less (list price 1960 now).

T

Aha, should have asked you then before going to shop last summer... Seems I paid way too much for my bin.
Anyway, I guess you will receive quite a few inquiries now for where to get that Leica for less than 1200 ;)

If I may jump in (albeit a week late)...I wonder if the big price hike in the US might have to do with Euro vs Dollar. Now, there hasn't been, as yet, a big jump in the exch rate, but since the European Central Bankers control the world's currencies (the "exchanges" are just a front), the hike may be in anticipation of a rate change in the near future.

Also be sure, that when advertised as a "Victory" model, that it isn't the previous, non-FL model, as they are widely available for much less, though discontinued. The previous two models, V-I and V-II, were definite also-rans in the hi-end mkt. The FL's, on the other hand, are truly fine.

south asia market

well i visited the south Asia market and where i saw that people are so crazy about birds and they used to pay high amount for the unique birds.. and there is no problem of birds selling.. now i am thinking to start this business in arranged manner, because there people don't know the way how to breed the birds.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back