• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (4 Viewers)

Hi Phil,

My apologies, thanks for directing me to that post, wasn't aware that this was the largest total. I've noticed the cotoneasters doing well in several places in the city so I'm a little surprised that the flocks (albeit small) haven't really stayed around. Someone had a group of 6 Waxies on Craigton Road during the weekend and considering I had 6 heading due west in that direction over Aberdeen Grammar School on Friday it could be that these were the same birds, in which case it shows the rate that they are going through the city.

Joseph

Hi again Joseph,

No probs. I just assumed they (the original 40ish) were skulking somewhere where they'd found a good food source. My impression, which may be wrong , is that the rowan crop is not quite as extensive this year, for whatever reason. My usual Redwing tree was stripped quickly a while ago by Blackbirds, and I haven't seen any sign of Waxies since my initial, rather surprised, sighting. I'll catch up soon, no doubt. Thrushes seem a bit thin in town too. A cold snap usually brings them in in December.

Cheers

Hi again Joseph,

No probs. I just assumed they (the original 40ish) were skulking somewhere where they'd found a good food source. My impression, which may be wrong , is that the rowan crop is not quite as extensive this year, for whatever reason. My usual Redwing tree was stripped quickly a while ago by Blackbirds, and I haven't seen any sign of Waxies since my initial, rather surprised, sighting. I'll catch up soon, no doubt. Thrushes seem a bit thin in town too. A cold snap usually brings them in in December.

Cheers

Hi Phil,

Interesting thought and a feasible solution, certainly in previous years when there have been influxes of Waxies the rowan crop has been very extensive so would guess you are right that this is related to lack of extensive rowan crop in the UK and perhaps a more successful rowan crop in Scandanavia, although I do recall someone from Finland on the forum mentioning that their rowan crop was poor so far. Another 4 Waxwings today, once again over Aberdeen Grammar School heading east. May search the city more widely to see if there any other groups lurking...

Joseph

I had my first chance today to try and catch up on the interesting goose action that has been taking place near the coast over the last week or two. I took a drive along the Portlethen to Netherley road at lunchtime and found a group of 400-500 geese feeding in a stubble field where they had also been reported yesterday (NO 896 953).

The majority of the flock were Pinkfeet, but a quick scan through binoculars showed a smattering of Greylags and European Whitefronts. I managed to count about a dozen adult whitefronts with their heads up most times I scanned across, but there were almost certainly more than this. I then set up the scope and (with some difficulty due to gorse along the roadside) I soon found a group of 4 Tundra Bean Geese at the near edge of the flock. When I scanned through a group of at least 60 birds behind these four I was surprised to find that they all looked the same. This was far more than previous bean goose counts in the area, which had all been in the 20s. I know that pinkfeet can sometimes have brownish backs so I double checked, but every time one of these 60 birds put up its head it had an orange band on its bill and everytime one lifted its feet they were bright orange. All of the beans and most of the whitefronts seemed to be grouped together on this edge of the flock.

Looking back at the previous reports I see that Hugh Addlesee had separate counts of 25+ and 28 1km apart in this general area on 13 November, so perhaps a count of 60 is not that surprising after all. I wonder how many there are across the country at the moment?

Hi Everyone,

Reasons for variation of Waxwing influx numbers into UK between 'good' and 'bad' years are probably quite complex. It could be dependent on available Rowan crops in Fennoscandia but also how successful the breeding season (and population increase !) has been. Last winter there were a lot of first winter birds.

If you do get on a decent Waxwing flock please try to note the ratio of adults to juveniles and also check for colour rings - it is not inconceivable that a bird ringed in Aberdeen last winter could turn up this winter !

Thanks.

LC

(on behalf of Grampian Ringing Group)

I had my first chance today to try and catch up on the interesting goose action that has been taking place near the coast over the last week or two. I took a drive along the Portlethen to Netherley road at lunchtime and found a group of 400-500 geese feeding in a stubble field where they had also been reported yesterday (NO 896 953).

The majority of the flock were Pinkfeet, but a quick scan through binoculars showed a smattering of Greylags and European Whitefronts. I managed to count about a dozen adult whitefronts with their heads up most times I scanned across, but there were almost certainly more than this. I then set up the scope and (with some difficulty due to gorse along the roadside) I soon found a group of 4 Tundra Bean Geese at the near edge of the flock. When I scanned through a group of at least 60 birds behind these four I was surprised to find that they all looked the same. This was far more than previous bean goose counts in the area, which had all been in the 20s. I know that pinkfeet can sometimes have brownish backs so I double checked, but every time one of these 60 birds put up its head it had an orange band on its bill and everytime one lifted its feet they were bright orange. All of the beans and most of the whitefronts seemed to be grouped together on this edge of the flock.

Looking back at the previous reports I see that Hugh Addlesee had separate counts of 25+ and 28 1km apart in this general area on 13 November, so perhaps a count of 60 is not that surprising after all. I wonder how many there are across the country at the moment?

The Beans do seem to be surprisingly settled in the Portlethen area, as I get the impression that most further north (Shetland, Moray) have moved through. Certainly an amazing influx, with much the highest numbers of rossicus ever recorded in Scotland, and nice to see decent numbers of Euro White-fronts too. Sadly (AFAIK) no Beans yet amongst the Pinks (c.15K) roosting at Loch of Skene, but a few of the White-fronts filtering through, with 5 present yesterday morning (plus 1 Greenland bird). I'm not sure what sightings of Beans there have been from further north within the county, though the Strathbeg blog mentions some at St Fergus. It seems unlikely that they're all now concentrated around Portlethen, so there must surely be more yet to be found (or reported).

Last edited:
The Beans do seem to be surprisingly settled in the Portlethen area, as I get the impression that most further north (Shetland, Moray) have moved through. Certainly an amazing influx, with much the highest numbers of rossicus ever recorded in Scotland, and nice to see decent numbers of Euro White-fronts too. Sadly (AFAIK) no Beans yet amongst the Pinks (c.15K) roosting at Loch of Skene, but a few of the White-fronts filtering through, with 5 present yesterday morning (plus 1 Greenland bird). I'm not sure what sightings of Beans there have been from further north within the county, though the Strathbeg blog mentions some at St Fergus. It seems unlikely that they're all now concentrated around Portlethen, so there must surely be more yet to be found (or reported).

Thanks Hugh,

Was I right in assuming that your previous counts of 28 and 25+ on 13 November were probably different groups of birds?

It would be nice to think that some might find they like it here and return in future years, but I suppose their natural migratory instinct will take them back to normal wintering areas. In fact perhaps the northwesterly airflows predicted in the coming week will push them back across the North Sea.

Incidentally, last week the vast majority of the Loch of Skene pinkfeet (13K birds) were feeding in a single flock at Mains of Cairnbrogie, between Tarves and Oldmeldrum. Much the biggest feeding flock I've ever seen, but too far from any roads to have a good look through them.

Paul

Thanks Hugh,

Was I right in assuming that your previous counts of 28 and 25+ on 13 November were probably different groups of birds?

It would be nice to think that some might find they like it here and return in future years, but I suppose their natural migratory instinct will take them back to normal wintering areas. In fact perhaps the northwesterly airflows predicted in the coming week will push them back across the North Sea.

Incidentally, last week the vast majority of the Loch of Skene pinkfeet (13K birds) were feeding in a single flock at Mains of Cairnbrogie, between Tarves and Oldmeldrum. Much the biggest feeding flock I've ever seen, but too far from any roads to have a good look through them.

Paul

Hi again Paul,

Yes, the 28 and 25+ were definitely not the same birds. I reckoned that there were another 5 or so in the second group, which were the ones associating with other grey geese, but fog and failing light were severely hampering viewing, and the flock moved (ok, I accidentally flushed them in my frustration!) before I could get a complete count. It will be interesting to see how long they stay, but, as you say, they're unlikely to return again.

Thanks for the info on the Skene flock. More Barnacles than usual sticking around amongst them too - 14+ yesterday.

Hugh

Evening all, first post here...treat me gently! ;)

I'm near the hospital (ARI) & was awakened early this morning by the umistakeable kwoo (or is it twoo) of a male Tawny owl!

Woke up to the tail end of the first call - "that sounded like an owl" I thought. Then it did it again..."that's definitely an owl"!

What do I know... probably common as muck in Aberdeen & I don't know it! But are they?

Didn't hear it again, so don't know if resident somewhere or just a-passing.

Evening all, first post here...treat me gently! ;)

I'm near the hospital (ARI) & was awakened early this morning by the umistakeable kwoo (or is it twoo) of a male Tawny owl!

Woke up to the tail end of the first call - "that sounded like an owl" I thought. Then it did it again..."that's definitely an owl"!

What do I know... probably common as muck in Aberdeen & I don't know it! But are they?

Didn't hear it again, so don't know if resident somewhere or just a-passing.

Welcome to BirdForum Ian. Must admit, I've never heard a Tawny Owl in Aberdeen, so I'm pretty impressed.

Thank you Andrew. To be honest I have been a long time lurker, but hearing the Tawny is what has prompted me to join up & post!

Perhaps I shouldn't be too surprised, but I would have expected them on the outskirts of the city in some of the outbuildings to the west rather than right in town as this one appeared to be.

Seen the likes of kestrels & buzzards on my regular jaunts at the weekend around the Deeside line & back into Aberdeen via Cults/Craigton Road. Thought it more likely your discerning owl would also be around somewhere in the same sort of area.

Was a lucky catch I suppose as it was a still night last night/this morning.

Its not particularly unusual to hear them around season park and around the don in that vicinity....or at least it wasn't back in the days when I used to hang around there. Good to know that there are some elsewhere in the city too!

Hi Ian,

Very nice discovery, well done. I live pretty near the ARI myself, just off Westburn Road, so it's great to hear of an inner-city Tawny Owl, especially in this area; I have never heard one in the city itself. Agree with Mark that you can here then in the Seaton Park area; when I was a very young kid we lived in Old Aberdeen, my Dad often walked round the Seaton Park area and he said he heard Tawny Owl in the park on a few occasions, so I should think there are a few in the city.

Continuing on the line of species not normally associated with the inner-city, may I ask if anyone has had any inner-city Dippers in the past? This is disregarding Seaton Park where they are regular at the Don there and the Dee. I had two Dippers near Queen's Cross and Fountainhall Road at Blenheim Place in the west end of town this February, where part of the extensive Denburn stream runs through (see here for location: http://g.co/maps/usgr4 ) They didn't hang around as such but were flying through, one after the other. It was a pretty obscure but interesting sighting considering the location and how far into the city they were; I should imagine it was related to the cold winter weather. Previous to that, I had one flying through the same location a week earlier. Would be very interesting to hear if anyone else has had inner city Dippers.

Joseph

Last edited:
Hi Joseph

I've had dippers on the very same stretch of that stream as you. I used to work in that neck of the woods, and would walk past and enjoy the dippers whenever I had the time. Brilliant birds to have in the city and see as well as you can there. I even had one bird singing there, probably in january/february time.

I also had grey wagtail on that stream several times.

On the theme of strange sightings in the city...I remember one morning walking out of my flat to see an iceland gull standing in the road....feeling rather pleased with myself I carried on a few hundred yards and found a dead golden plover on the pavement!

Hi Joseph

I've had dippers on the very same stretch of that stream as you. I used to work in that neck of the woods, and would walk past and enjoy the dippers whenever I had the time. Brilliant birds to have in the city and see as well as you can there. I even had one bird singing there, probably in january/february time.

I also had grey wagtail on that stream several times.

On the theme of strange sightings in the city...I remember one morning walking out of my flat to see an iceland gull standing in the road....feeling rather pleased with myself I carried on a few hundred yards and found a dead golden plover on the pavement!

Hi Mark,

That's fantastic to hear, thank you for mentioning it. So they were relatively regular there all year round? It's great that they're still going through there; would be interesting to know the reasons behind why they are often along the stream. Nesting somewhere along it perhaps? As you say, a fantastic species to have right within the city, they really brightenened up my day when I saw them all that time ago. Also some very curious Torry sightings you mentioned there; urban birding certainly has its rewards.

Indeed, urban birding came up trumps for me today. My first sizeable numbers I've had so far of Waxwing this winter, with 75+ flying over Hamilton Place in total at around 15:20 this afternoon, keeping me entertained whilst waiting for a mate here. Firstly, a flock of 35 landed on a set of small trees by the road, before dipping over some houses and seconds later seen joining with others, increasing the flock to 60+ birds. They flew in an easterly direction over Whitehall Bowling Club. I wasn't particularly expecting any others, when 5 minutes later a flock of 10 flew high over from same directon, shortly followed by another 5. Unfortunately (and predictably) I didn't have bins and light was poor, so I wasn't able to see if any birds were colour-ringed nor check if there were any juveniles. After today though I suspect there's quite decent numbers around so hopefully will be able to check for colour-rings etc in the near future.

Joseph

Last edited:
The Portlethen goose flock was a bit further south today, in stubble west of the A90 at Newtonhill. Good light, but difficult viewing due to the wind, and the depth of the stubble obscuring legs. However, on three separate scans through the flock, I counted about 90 Tundra Beans and nearly 60 Euro White-fronts, well mixed in with a few 100 Pink-feet (1 leucistic). I'm almost certain this is now a record flock of Tundra Beans for Scotland. Just a scattering of Greylags around otherwise, and 12 Whoopers hunkered down nearer Muchalls.

Hugh

My first sizeable numbers I've had so far of Waxwing this winter, with 75+ flying over Hamilton Place in total at around 15:20 this afternoon, keeping me entertained whilst waiting for a mate here. Firstly, a flock of 35 landed on a set of small trees by the road, before dipping over some houses and seconds later seen joining with others, increasing the flock to 60+ birds. They flew in an easterly direction over Whitehall Bowling Club. I wasn't particularly expecting any others, when 5 minutes later a flock of 10 flew high over from same directon, shortly followed by another 5. Unfortunately (and predictably) I didn't have bins and light was poor, so I wasn't able to see if any birds were colour-ringed nor check if there were any juveniles. After today though I suspect there's quite decent numbers around so hopefully will be able to check for colour-rings etc in the near future.

Well done Joseph, that is a fantastic sighting and very good record and thanks for reporting it ! Must be the best total thus far I reckon. Wouldn't expect you to get clr rings or age/sex data under those circumstances but if you do I am sure that our secretary Raymond Duncan would receive them gratefully. He mentioned the possibility of more adult birds this year and that would increase the chances of a colour ringed bird. It does happen, one revisited a garden at Kintore (where it was ringed) in consecutive years so Kintore - East of Atlas - back to Kintore !

Cheers,

LC

The Portlethen goose flock was a bit further south today, in stubble west of the A90 at Newtonhill. Good light, but difficult viewing due to the wind, and the depth of the stubble obscuring legs. However, on three separate scans through the flock, I counted about 90 Tundra Beans and nearly 60 Euro White-fronts, well mixed in with a few 100 Pink-feet (1 leucistic). I'm almost certain this is now a record flock of Tundra Beans for Scotland. Just a scattering of Greylags around otherwise, and 12 Whoopers hunkered down nearer Muchalls.

Hugh

This explains where they were; was at the Beltcraigs location this morning but there were no Beans or White-fronts at all, just Pinkfeets and Greylags. Checked several fields in and around the Netherley area but there were no other geese flocks whatsoever, and I didn't go down as far as Newtonhill. Congratulations on a great count, Birdguides shows only one total higher than this since the influx began; 100 also today in Cumbria, so this is not only the highest Scottish record but seemingly one of the highest UK totals so far as well.

Thanks Lindsay, it was quite an exciting experience. I feel the count may have been slightly conservative as I was basing my numbers on pretty short views so was unable to get fully accurate counts; there was at least 60 in the first flock but quite possibly 10-15 more, and 15 followed a few minutes later, so it could be that there were as many as 90. Certainly implies there's a decent amount out there to be found at the moment. Thanks for the info, interesting stuff and will keep a look out for such flocks and definitely get back to you or Raymond if I do get anything on colour rings.

Joseph

Last edited:
After Sunday's unsuccessful search for the Portlethen Beans, today was successful. In wintery conditons I managed at least 45 Tundra Bean Geese amongst 200+ Pinkfeets in a stubble field just west of Windyedge where Hugh had them on Sunday, although this is a somewhat conservative total due to difficult conditions and the depth of the stubble obscuring legs and preventing a completely accurate count. Also at least 20 European White-fronted Geese mixed in as well.

35 Waxwings over Aberdeen Grammar School yesterday; been daily over the school since the end of last week and the 75 I had were at the nearby Hamilton Place, so it could well be that many of them are concentrated in the west end of Aberdeen.

Joseph

Users who are viewing this thread

Back