• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (3 Viewers)

So I indulged in the great white-winged gull fest today, visiting both Peterhead and Fraserburgh. Nice conditions for gull watching, although there were actually fewer gulls about than I expected. A reasonable proportion did have those all-important white wing tips though. A bit hard to say how many Iceland Gulls there were - probably 10 or 11 at Peterhead and 3 or 4 at Fraserburgh. A good range of ages too, although I didn't see any 1st winters. I spoke to Chris Gibbins who suggested, I'm sure correctly, that this indicates a poor breeding season. If they'd have had a decent breeding season we might be seeing an awful lot more! Two Glaucous Gulls were also at Peterhead, including a smart, dark looking 1st winter. There was a bit of a lack of Kumlien's Gull action at Peterhead but a big bag of bread turned up the goods in Fraserburgh where the long-staying 3rd winter gave splendid views.

Not too much else of note around except for a group of twelve hrota Brent Geese flying south at Peterhead.

Here are a few shots from Fraserburgh, the first two being the 3rd winter Kumlien's and then a 2nd winter Iceland.

Attachments

• Kumliens Gull_Fraserburgh_110212a.jpg
    Kumliens Gull_Fraserburgh_110212a.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 54
  • Kumliens Gull_Fraserburgh_110212b.jpg
    Kumliens Gull_Fraserburgh_110212b.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 55
  • Iceland Gull_Fraserburgh_110212a.jpg
    Iceland Gull_Fraserburgh_110212a.jpg
    166.9 KB · Views: 56
Male Peregrine displaying,over the city centre this afternoon.

Nice one Ben, I really haven't seen many Peregrines in the region over the last year or so, numbers seem to have really dropped. I should get my way down to Triple Kirks at some point soon.

Well done on a nice day's gulling Andrew, some very nice shots of that Kums. Another enjoyable day's birding on the coast today, with a drake Green-winged Teal from Bay Hide at Strathbeg this morning amongst a few other things. Didn't see the 3w Kumliens when I popped into Fraserburgh for a short time this afternoon and must have been there several hours after you, but a nice second winter Glaucous Gull and a single second winter Iceland Gull were around. If interested an account of the day is on my blog.

Joseph

Last edited:
Nice one Ben, I really haven't seen many Peregrines in the region over the last year or so, numbers seem to have really dropped. I should get my way down to Triple Kirks at some point soon.

Well done on a nice day's gulling Andrew, some very nice shots of that Kums. Another enjoyable day's birding on the coast today, with a drake Green-winged Teal from Bay Hide at Strathbeg this morning amongst a few other things. Didn't see the 3w Kumliens when I popped into Fraserburgh for a short time this afternoon and must have been there several hours after you, but a nice second winter Glaucous Gull and a single second winter Iceland Gull were around. If interested an account of the day is on my blog.

Joseph

Well done on a very good find, Joseph. I guess it's not easy to find your own stuff at Strathbeg, being remote and with wardens taking a keen interest

I visited Collieston this afternoon...no joy with Whales, but great views of 2 Short-eared Owls hunting on the south side of the village.

Well done on a very good find, Joseph. I guess it's not easy to find your own stuff at Strathbeg, being remote and with wardens taking a keen interest

Thanks Mark, it was smart bird. It can indeed prove difficult to find stuff at Strathbeg, as well as the wardens there is a steady throughput of birders having a look regularly despite its northerly location. A place like Strathbeg merits being well checked though; it always produces top quality birds :t: .

Nice one with the SEOs Teamscotch, its great to hear that they are having a successful winter in the region.

Joseph

Red Head Smew

A Red Head Smew was on Inchgarth Resevoir this afternoon.Had a look at Raemoir Fishery at Banchory for the Great grey Shrike but no sign of It today.

Hello all, a small query. I was down Loch of Skene, Saturday morning and observed about a dozen cormorants and same amount of oystercatchers roosting on one of the nesting island thingys down at the west end of the loch, I've been there a few times before but don't have any note of cormorant or oystercatcher on the loch, so question is, is this quite a common occurence for these two species to be on the loch ? thanks

Jim.

Oystercatchers are regular at Skene in early spring as they return inland, rapidly building up from the first, usually in about the second week of February, to a peak of about 100 late in the month and into early March. They're scarcer at other times.

Cormorants are mainly winter visitors to Skene. This winter's been good, with up to about 8 often around (they either fly in or roost near the Temple), and a peak of at least 13.

Hugh

Signs of Spring

Oystercatchers are regular at Skene in early spring as they return inland

I saw my first inland Oystercatcher of the year at Mill of Strachan, Feughside this morning. Also 12 Goosanders, which is the most I've ever seen there, and a Raven on the Cairn o' Mount road.

Yesterday the Chaffinches started singing in my garden (3 days later than last year!).

I’m feeling pretty tired but wanted to write a little something about my (Birthday) trip to the Ythan/Forvie yesterday. The afternoon started well when we saw plenty of Dolphins as we drove around Girdleness. Sandwiches were eaten near Inches and we watched Red-breasted Mergansers, Wigeon, lots of Eider… Later in the day we were walking along the beach towards Rockend and a flock of Snow buntings flew over. The walk back through the dunes to the car was great as we were seemingly surrounded by Short-eared owls (including one later that was battling with a Buzzard).

Earlier in the afternoon, before we made it to the beach, a Buzzard was spotted over the field to our left. Having seen plenty of these recently, I wasn’t going to have a closer look until I noticed it seemed rather pale. I know pale Buzzards are not rare but when I started watching this bird something seemed different. Although relatively new to birding, I have had a passing interest in raptors for years. Heading out to look for Eagles, Red Kites, Harriers, etc, the site, sound, shape and size of a Buzzard has become quite familiar. The one yesterday appeared larger, with longer and straighter wings as it was flying. I admit this difference briefly made me think of an Eagle, especially as there was a white tail, but decided it was too small. Also, the tail had an obvious dark band at the end. Unfortunately, by this point the bird was slowly drifting away from us although it did stop to hover about three times (I’ve seen Buzzards hovering before, usually against strong winds, but there was something unusual about the way this one flew). Looking at my field-book at the time the only thing I could match it with was a Rough-legged buzzard. Having now researched these online I guess this was unlikely… Anyway, I definitely feel we saw something different from a pale common Buzzard (even if it wasn’t) and it was a great day to be out.

Looking at my field-book at the time the only thing I could match it with was a Rough-legged buzzard. Having now researched these online I guess this was unlikely… Anyway, I definitely feel we saw something different from a pale common Buzzard (even if it wasn’t) and it was a great day to be out.

Actually Mark, that sounds a pretty fair bet from your description - did you see anything much of its underside? It's been a reasonable winter for Rough-legs in the UK, though typically poor up here of late, and Forvie has a good track record of them. It would be nice if it was one and lingered...

Actually Mark, that sounds a pretty fair bet from your description - did you see anything much of its underside?

I don't recall what the underside looked like. By the time I realised what it might be the bird was further away. Knowing now that a brown chest-band may have helped distinguish it from a pale Common I will look at that more closely if lucky enough to see something similar in the future. At the time I was quite excited, having noticed the obvious tail and more Eagle-like appearance, and wasn't aware of the subtleties of separating the different Buzzard species.

Hi all

Having enjoyed our first visit to Aberdeenshire last August we're coming back for a few nights in mid-April, staying in Banchory but with transport. There are still a few species on my UK list that aren't on Julie's and Ptarmigan is one. I know it's not quite Aberdeenshire but would our best bet for them be to take the A93 and have a look for them around The Cairnwell? Won't be a disaster if we don't see one, because we're off to Iceland in a month and should find them there, but it would be nice to at least have a look. Also, any reasonable sites for Black Grouse in the area? Finally, can anyone suggest reasonable driving times from Banchory to Torry Battery?

its only about 20 miles between Torry and Banchory, but it can take a long time to get through town if you get the traffic. Try to avoid a couple of hours either side of rush hour and you should be OK.

The Cairnwell should still be decent for ptarmigans at that time. The easiest way is with a scope from the carpark....but it's not too arduous a climb.

Hi all

Having enjoyed our first visit to Aberdeenshire last August we're coming back for a few nights in mid-April, staying in Banchory but with transport. There are still a few species on my UK list that aren't on Julie's and Ptarmigan is one. I know it's not quite Aberdeenshire but would our best bet for them be to take the A93 and have a look for them around The Cairnwell? Won't be a disaster if we don't see one, because we're off to Iceland in a month and should find them there, but it would be nice to at least have a look. Also, any reasonable sites for Black Grouse in the area? Finally, can anyone suggest reasonable driving times from Banchory to Torry Battery?

If you avoid the rush hour traffic it should take you about 30 minutes to drive from Banchory to Torry. Glen Muick, south of Ballater is probably your best bet for Black Grouse - although there are sites closer to Banchory they are less easy to see.

Glen Muick, south of Ballater is probably your best bet for Black Grouse - although there are sites closer to Banchory they are less easy to see.

Good call. And if the weather is ok and you are that way inclined you could take a jaunt up onto Lochnagar from Glen Muick to see Ptarmigan in epic surroundings!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back