• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wild in Aberdeen - City and Shire (1 Viewer)

Thanks all for the advice. My Ptarmigans up to now have all been in epic surroundings so I can understand the recommendation - I've seen them high on Bidean nam Bian in winter and almost as high on Beinn Eighe in summer too, so Lochnagar sounds more appropriate than The Cairnwell, but I understand that there's a fair chance that we will see them around Keflavik Airport in under five weeks time, which I suspect is even less glamorous than The Cairnwell.

I understand that there's a fair chance that we will see them around Keflavik Airport in under five weeks time, which I suspect is even less glamorous than The Cairnwell.

But Keflavik does feature in both Desmond Bagley's spy novel Running Blind and Tom Clancy's technothriller Red Storm Rising - a touch of glamour there surely?

John

I biked down to Inchgarth this evening for a little after work city twitching.

After no initial sign of it, the redhead Smew appeared from parts unknown to join the roosting Goldeneyes at 17.30.

Need help again people, caught these two whilst out this morning and can't ID them at all, hope someone can from these pictures. Quite a good morning, 6 buzzards circling together all at once and then ten minutes later 2 buzzards and a red kite together, and a treecreeper at close quarters, about 4 feet, and adding to all that it was a beautiful February (!!) morning.

Jim

Attachments

• 013v1.jpg
    013v1.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 83
  • 014c1.JPG
    014c1.JPG
    237 KB · Views: 67
Thanks Rich, once you know what they are it's so easy looking in the book and thinking 'why couldn't I see that '. I did look at that page, don't know why I couldn't match them then, anyway, first for me, thanks again
Jim.

Had a pleasant day pottering about around Banchory. The highlight was the long-staying Great Grey Shrike at Loch of Leys, which gave good if rather distant views in the willow scrub. The usual stuff was in the forests: Crossbills Redpolls, Jays, Great-spotted Woodpeckers. Plenty of stuff singing in the mild air too. I had brief view of a Goshawk that took off with prey along a forest ride.

Buntings

No probs Jim. I'm surprised I recognised them following yesterdays afternoon in the pub watching the match B :):t: It's never easy being a Wales supporter.

Rich
Thanks Rich, once you know what they are it's so easy looking in the book and thinking 'why couldn't I see that '. I did look at that page, don't know why I couldn't match them then, anyway, first for me, thanks again
Jim.

Brent Goose

Spotted a Brent Goose today on the middle breakwater at Torry today. Loads of Eider Ducks in the harbour area as well as Turnstones, Cormorants, Curlews, Oystercatchers and 3 Rock Pipits. A good days twitching. Still looking for the Glacous Gull but no success....

Spotted a Brent Goose today on the middle breakwater at Torry today. Loads of Eider Ducks in the harbour area as well as Turnstones, Cormorants, Curlews, Oystercatchers and 3 Rock Pipits. A good days twitching. Still looking for the Glacous Gull but no success....

Welcome onboard Andy. :t:

I was back up at Strathbeg again today, and the birding was once again productive. Amongst other things, of most interest were a second winter Iceland Gull at the lagoon which was sauntering around and preening amongst a mixed group of gulls, a redhead Smew from Bay Hide and the long-staying Short-eared Owl (pictured below). Meikle Loch produced a site and Ythan area tick in the form a ringtail Hen Harrier west over, whilst Forvie held 2 female Scaup and 3 Short-eared Owls. For a more extended account and more pics, see my blog in the near future.

Joseph

Attachments

• IMG_3152.JPG
    IMG_3152.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 62
I was at Strathbeg on Saturday for the Ermine Stoat. Full account on John's Mammals in the lists section. Cracking little animal and an array of raptors to go with it including the zonking Short-eared Owl.

John

Attachments

• 2012_02_25_Short_eared_Owl1 (800x533).jpg
    2012_02_25_Short_eared_Owl1 (800x533).jpg
    275 KB · Views: 49
  • 2012_02_25_Short_eared_Owl2 (800x533).jpg
    2012_02_25_Short_eared_Owl2 (800x533).jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 61
I was at Strathbeg on Saturday for the Ermine Stoat. Full account on John's Mammals in the lists section. Cracking little animal and an array of raptors to go with it including the zonking Short-eared Owl.

John

Cracking shots John, some of the best I've seen. The Strathbeg blog mentioned a mammal twitcher that was up during the weekend that also had an exceptionally early Ruff; which must have been you. Glad you managed the ermine stoat and enjoyed your visit up this way.

Joseph

Of potential interest (especially to farboro John), reports of a bearded seal on the beach near st fergus. Or should I say an ex bearded seal....

I spotted a rough leg at Balmedie about november ( IIRC) time last year, not too far away from the Ythan

I'm 90% sure I spotted one in bridge of Don about the same time. It was just sitting on the rugby posts as the barracks minding its own, but I had no scope with me so can't be 100%.

Neither RL or a bloddy good look-a-like.

Had a wonder up to Tappie Tower in Kirkhill Forest this arvo. A Great Grey Shrike was reported in this area yesterday, although predictably I didn't see it...plenty of suitable habitat though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back