• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Scotland, Caithness Info required (1 Viewer)

Mark D

BOG member
Howdo Folks,

Are there any birders out there who have been birding at the very top of the Scottish mainland ? I'm exploring the area in search of birds from 10th - 14th October and any sites information would be welcomed

regards
Mark Doveston

Hi Mark

I live in Caithness. October is very much a hit or a miss with migrants. What is it exactly that you are looking for?

Loch of Mey is good that time of year, with a really good chance of seeing Greenland white fronted geese. As I have never had the chance to bird anywhere other than Caithness I am not sure what Caithness is good for.

Watching from the coast can be excellent if the Long tailed ducks, Goldeneye and Divers have arrived.

I would say that if you are driving up, you should make a stop at Loch Fleet(south of Golspie). It can be a great place.

I spent a day out on Saturday and there was not much happening anywhere. This is the lull between the summer visitors leaving and the winter ones arriving.

SO if you give me an idea of what you are looking for I'll get somne sites and ask the pros for some of their ideas. I have a SOC meeting a week tomorrow so I'll get good info there.

All the best Karen.

I thaught I saw a report on Birdguides that said the American Wigeon is back on the river behind Somerfield again. I guess that is a returning bird.

St Johns Loch is worth a visit. Always wildfowl present plus the odd diver and the site has had a few rares in recent times. Loch Hemipriggs (?) just south of Wick had a Ring Necked duck last year.

The seafront at Thurso is always worth a look. There was a Bonepartes Gull there last year.

I generally go up in the depths of winter so I don't know what to expect at this time of year.

Cheers Karen & Woodchat,

I am basically looking for owt that flies!

I intend to do some sea watching but I hope to find some sheltered spots where migrant passerines might be lurking. I am staying at Scarfskerry so Loch of Mey will probably be visited on a daily basis.

No doubt I will check some harbours for Gulls as well

Other than that my friend and I were just going to explore the north coast and hope for the best.

regards
Mark

Caithness sightings

Howdo all

here are my sightings from my Caithness trip. I think I have attached them ?

regards
Mark

second attempt didn't work. I don't think I can attch excel documents. will try with it pasted into word.

Attachments

• Caithness.doc
    54.5 KB · Views: 150
Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back