• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tiumpan Head (1 Viewer)

TWM

Tiumpan Head at the top end of Lewis on the Outer Hebrides is producing some awesome land based Cetacean sitings.
Minkes and Humpbacks are regular but they've also had Beaked Whale sp, Fin Whale and Orca.
White -beaked, Rissos and Common Dolphins are regular.
Their Facebook page is regularly updated www.facebook.com/Tiumpan-Head-Watchers-178415652306355/

I am definitely planning a visit soon.
There is also a boat out of Stornoway run by Nick Davies (highly recommended) that gets in amongst the action.
www.facebook.com/whalesstornoway/

I am not connected in any way with these businesses, I just reckon that they have a lot to offer.

I spent 7 nights on lewis in late June this year.

The whale watching from land and from the boat, with hebridean whale Cruises, was exceptional.

Watching from land just north of 'The Bridge To No where' was the best place while I was there. Viewing from Tiumpan Head you could see that the birds were feeding from over that way so we drove there. Perfect views of Minke Whales & Porpoises in calm blue water. You could see them clearly underwater looking down from the cliffs.

On the boat we saw 4 species of cetacean including Risso's Dolphins & around 15 minkes. Ther was a tall blow from an Un-identified whale but it didn't resurface.

Orcas seen 4 times & the Humpbacks have returned since I was there. I'll be going again before the end of the season.

Chris

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back