• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bill Cooks book now available (1 Viewer)

‘Morning Jan:

Please understand I know the customer has the right to be disappointed—and would expect nothing else—and clearly point this out in my Post. That was never in contention with me—only an honest representation.

Somewhere around 2004 or 2005 a fellow was traveling from Helena, Montana to see his sister in Red Bank or Redding, California, and stopped by Captain’s to buy a couple of binoculars. I queried him about why the stopover in Seattle, since it was a few hundred miles out of his way. His response was humbling. In his best out-west accent, he said:

“If I’m gonna spend this much on a couple of binoculars, I wanna talk to somebody who knows what the hell he’s talking about.”

Two Swarovskis out the door (and no one was EVER on commission in my shop). When people learn you know your craft—and that you don’t bend the truth for anyone—they come AND they come again. On the back of my book, Alan Hale of Celestron said:

“...Bill is not out to protect brands and factories when they continually mislead consumers about their products. Instead, he tells it like it is — straight and honest — even when manufacturers get upset when they hear the truth.”

Alan knows first hand, because it was sometimes Celestron that was taking my heat for standing by some OEM, as I stood firm on behalf of the consumer.

Do what is right and let the consequence follow.

By the way, with practice one can get pretty accurate shooting from the hip.

And thanks for buying some of my books. If I ever get over to see Harrie, I'll be sure to stop by to see you, too. Seven languages? No wonder that thing in his head is having a hard time. Still, he is a VERY lucky man. :cat:

Wild Bill H.

I rest my caseB :)

Jan;)

Wild Bill H.

I rest my caseB :)

Jan;)

Speaking of which, Bill was the winner of the ONLY quick draw shootout (between himself and Davis Tutt, July 21, 1865) EVER DOCUMENTED in the American west—although Hollywood has produced several dozen. Bill was as good with a gun as they say. But, because of depression and the bottle, that period only lasted a few years.

And as for as my over-the-top wonderment above? I just do that to discourage those who may be winding up to teach more than they know to the trusting and that's getting to be a hallmark over on CN. With no one to temper things, a couple of wannabe experts are really fouling the nest. Even Ed huff is tired of beating up on me because of MYSELF. Rational thinkers usually back off. The others ....

A Story:

In Gunnison, Colorado (1881) a young New York reporter was trying to meet a “real live” gunfighter to titillate the readers back home on the East Coast. He was querying some residents at a local “watering hole” when Bat Masterson walked in. Dr. W.S. Cockrell whispered: “See that fellow who just walked in? He’s killed 26 men ... and he’s only 27 years old.” Well, that started it! And when Bat was living as a pudgy and aging sports writer for the New York Morning Telegraph even the young guns gave him a very wide berth. FACT IS that, except for being a 20-year old fighting Indians at Adobe Walls to save his skin, there is no proof he ever killed anyone! Fearless? Yes. A great shot? Yes. A killer? No.

He probably killed Corporal Melvin King who killed a woman sitting on his lap, with the bullet fracturing Bats pelvis. But, such commotion was going on at the time, no one could even prove—with the forensics of the day—that it was Bat’s gun that did the fellow in.

Bill

Last edited:
Speaking of which, Bill was the winner of the ONLY quick draw shootout (between himself and Davis Tutt, July 21, 1865) EVER DOCUMENTED in the American west—although Hollywood has produced several dozen. Bill was as good with a gun as they say. But, because of depression and the bottle, that period only lasted a few years.

And as for as my over-the-top wonderment above? I just do that to discourage those who may be winding up to teach more than they know to the trusting. Even Ed huff is tired of beating up on me because of that. Rational thinkers usually back off. The others ....

A Story:

In Gunnison, Colorado (1881) a young New York reporter was trying to meet a “real live” gunfighter to titillate the readers back home on the East Coast. He was querying some residents at a local “watering hole” when Bat Masterson walked in. Dr. W.S. Cockrell whispered: “See that fellow who just walked in? He’s killed 26 men ... and he’s only 27 years old.” Well, that started it! And when Bat was living as a pudgy and aging sports writer for the New York Morning Telegraph even the young guns gave him a very wide berth. FACT IS that, except for being a 20-year old fighting Indians at Adobe Walls to save his skin, there is no proof he ever killed anyone! Fearless? Yes. A great shot? Yes. A killer? No.

He probably killed Corporal Melvin King who killed a woman sitting on his lap, with the bullet fracturing Bats pelvis. But, such commotion was going on at the time, no one could even prove—with the forensics of the day—that it was Bat’s gun that did the fellow in. When dealing with the rational and intelligent, a reputation can keep the streets wide and clean.

A friend is a person who knows you very well ... and like you ... ANYWAY!

Bill

Bill,

You've lost me completely, but MAYBE that's your strategy:t:.

I smell we have the same authority allergie. There's only one cure: become your own boss. Problem solved.

Jan

Bill,

You've lost me completely, but MAYBE that's your strategy:t:.

I smell we have the same authority allergie. There's only one cure: become your own boss. Problem solved.

Jan

Not my strategy, just an explanation of why I’m so screwed up. Also, you need not work for yourself. But, working for an honest man—if you can find one—will do nicely. In 21 years at Captain’s, my employer never once gave me an order. From time to time, he made suggestions. But, as often as not, he would say to me: “What would you do if this were your company.” Because of that trust and respect, I felt obligated to greatly improve the profitability of his company. But, I am gone, he has sold, and Asian Steiners have taken over the optics portion of the business. I’m hoping they can live on reputation a few more years. :cat:

Bill

Congratulations Bill upon publishing your book! I recall we had a conversation a few years back when you were still writing it. It takes a lot of hard work and persistence to publish your work, especially an independent book like yours.

All the best,
-Omid

Congratulations Bill upon publishing your book! I recall we had a conversation a few years back when you were still writing it. It takes a lot of hard work and persistence to publish your work, especially an independent book like yours.

All the best,
-Omid

Oh, knock it off! Years? Really? And I thought my baby being 27 this year made me feel old. :cat:

How is your work progressing?

Bill

Ordered the other day from Amazon, due to arrive tomorrow :)

If the graphics are over-saturated with black ink, make them replace it. My proofs were fine, as were some of the others. However, they are not all printed in the same place and some have poor quality copies.

By the way ... thank you. I hope you like it. :cat:

Bill

Last edited:
Oh, knock it off! Years? Really? And I thought my baby being 27 this year made me feel old. :cat:

How is your work progressing?

Bill

Doing well, Thanks. Eight patents granted and a few more pending... ;)

Attachments

• Omid_Patents.jpg
    Omid_Patents.jpg
    259 KB · Views: 62
If the graphics are over-saturated with black ink, make them replace it. My proofs were fine, as were some of the others. However, they are not all printed in the same place and some have poor quality copies.

By the way ... thank you. I hope you like it. :cat:

Thanks for the heads up!

I hope it's not a counterfeiting problem. Last year there was a serious problem when one of the most important books on Electronics ("The Art of Electronics") had its third edition released.

https://artofelectronics.net/the-book/counterfeit-editions/

I hope it's not the case.

Mine is fine, printed in Poland by Amazon Fulfillment :)

My copy arrived today and I'm delighted with it. Pure Señor Cook, unabridged and unadulterated. Bill has been kind enough to share a lot of the advice with us for free on BF over the years, but it's great to have it all in one easy-reference volume, with Table of Contents and Index, instead of trawling through internet posts. I prefer learning from the printed page anyway, as it makes dog-earing, underlining, annotating and page-flicking much easier. (If God had wanted me to learn from screens, he wouldn't have bothered with the opposable thumbs, just given me better finger pads that don't leave smudges). My copy has some illustrations that go a little heavy on the black ink, a bit like photocopies that have too much toner, but I don't care, I bought it for the text, not the pictures. This is definitely a Labour of Love, the 'Moby Dick' of Binocular-land (except easier to read). Like an earlier poster, I wish I'd had this book twenty-five years ago, it would have saved me thousands. Now I'm left with only Nikon SE's and Bill's Book. (I bet my copy is the only one in Ireland).

I am sorry Bill I was going to buy your book but PIER says he knows it all and will give it to us free. He has been on here since 2007 and I have not found anything of interest from him. So I am waiting a little while;)

Last edited:
I am sorry Bill I was going to buy your book but PIER says he knows it all and will give it to us free. He has been on here since 2007 and I have not found anything of interest. So I am waiting a little while;)

Hey, a guy as smart as you, I would expect to buy a case ... and a parakeet. :cat:

Bill

I also received my copy of Bill's book and like most contributors to this thread I thoroughly enjoyed it . Unlike some I didn't know it all, having stopped studying optics in 1964 for GCE A level physics (I passed).
Best of all for me was the debunking of the mystique of lens cleaning. I always used a soft artists brush and a small piece of chamois leather (softened by repeated soaking in water) for cleaning my binoculars. A few years later I purchased a SLR and bought a Focal Press guide. The message was pretty much avoid cleaning lenses unless absolutely neccessary, not difficult when most of my camera lenses had a filter attached. The CZJ 10x50 binocular (1974) was another matter, it didn't even have a rain guard.
I tended to buy proprietary lens cleaners such as Kodak etc and similar products for cleaning audio equipment. All these were supplied in small quantities and cost a small fortune, even today I still buy "special" glass cleaner for my car windscreen. Not any longer! I am in the process of purchasing iso-propyl alcohol and domestic ammonia at the cost of about £12 which will make me about two gallons or more of glass cleaner. This will last more than my life time if only used for optical lenses but will now take away the need for car screen cleaner and house window cleaner. Thanks Bill your book will soon of paid for itself.
Just to add I was inspired to research the composition of some of these proprietary products inclding the Zeiss lens cleaner which is simply about 5% iso-proplyl alcohol and 95% water, Viking lens cleaner is I think similar with a small amount of anti-smear agent added. We live and learn or some of us do.

Last edited:
Well I will certainly be putting this book on my list to Santa.

If I get unlucky with print quality a quick pass through the Rowan tree should sort it!

LGM

RW and LGM:

You guys are kind; thank you. Those I have heard from, who have darkened graphics, have all been from UK. Mine have come from Columbia, South Carolina USA and appear to have been printed with a laser process. Those I have seen from UK seem to have been printed on a web press with too much ink applied.

Some folks say that’s okay from them. However, it makes it harder for me to promote a quality product, and I think those with overly dark images should send them back; they are not getting what they paid for. When Amazon gets tired of eating bad copies, they will up quality control, even if it means finding a new printer. :cat:

Bill

Bill and others....
I'm down at the Gulf Coast doing a little birding and relaxing.... I've glanced thru Bill's book before now...but TODAY....I READ it.. LOVED IT! It is such a wonderful blend of humor, wisdom, binocular facts, and my favorite...life lessons. VERY well written in a great style of writing.

Bill, I wish I could write like that. Such an art. How do you put all those elements of the book...TOGETHER? It was great to read your book and thanks for letting all of us into your world a little bit...

Chuck Hill

Attachments

• 4BBA7F26-74CB-4F78-A1BA-0391641CF3EE1.jpeg
    4BBA7F26-74CB-4F78-A1BA-0391641CF3EE1.jpeg
    62.1 KB · Views: 95
Bill,

Congratulations on the book, you probably feel like removing a 80 pound rucksack off your back if only for a few fleeting hours, any book tours scheduled? I look forward to the book.

Regards,

Andy W.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back