• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern lights link to Whale strandings? (1 Viewer)

I read that, seems a bit hard to believe.
Those multiple strandings were unusual but I'd be more inclined to point the finger at a man made cause!
Certainly interesting.

I read that, seems a bit hard to believe.
Those multiple strandings were unusual but I'd be more inclined to point the finger at a man made cause!
Certainly interesting.

Think that says more about you than about the science. No offence.

John

A bit stretch of a theory.

First, whale swimming or being washed to the shore is different from long-distance navigation.

Then, magnetic storms are quite regular phenomenon - are they otherwise linked with whale stranding?

And finally, we do not even know whether sperm whales have magnetic sense, and know very little of it in other species, to build a theory of physical maps of magnetic disturbances and solar storms obscuring them.

A bit stretch of a theory.

First, whale swimming or being washed to the shore is different from long-distance navigation.

Then, magnetic storms are quite regular phenomenon - are they otherwise linked with whale stranding?

It seems that the shallow, English channel is a problem for them, once in, they can't seem to navigate out so maybe it's a combination of factors?

It would surely though, happen more often if it were related to solar / magnetic activity?

A

It would surely though, happen more often if it were related to solar / magnetic activity?

Multiple strandings of Sperm Whales in the southern North Sea have been known about since at least 1577 :t:

That there'd not been any others in recent decades says more about the very low population due to whaling - that was pointed out at the time they stranded, that as numbers recover, we can expect more strandings.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back