• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding smartphone advice (1 Viewer)

cheshirebirder

Hi. I'm a bit of a dinosaur looking for advice/recommendations for smartphones and birding. Up to date I've used a pager for birding info and my mobile is ancient and only used for calls and texts !
I want to move to a smartphone and ditch the pager .I know I can get info packages for the new phone and other applications ,but I don't know what phone or deal to sign up to and that's where I'm asking for some help. I'm considering an i-phone 3gs because there are some good deals -would it be good enough in terms of memory etc? How much internet access should I pay for eg is 1GB a month enough?
As you can see ,I really have no idea, so will welcome advice from those who are up to speed with all this !
thanks, Bill.

If you get an unlocked phone you can put any sim in it and get a better deal. I'm on giffgaff and for a tenner I get 250 minutes, unlimited texts and unlimited internet.

Thanks for the reply. I really need to know whether it's better to get an i-phone or android in terms of birding use and apps. Also, how much internet access people use - some of the deals offer 250mb per month- is that enough ?

Your birding app should not impact your usage limits, unless you are sending out ongoing reports on your birding success. All the needed information is stored on your phone. It is actually pretty impressive how much stuff one can load into even a modest 4 gig data card.
The specific app to use is more tricky.
Here in the US, the Sibley guide on my Blackberry is a wonderful resource, but a pain to use, as everything has to be pulled up or selected with the keyboard and mouse. My guess is touch screen apps are more user friendly, but there may be optimized phone/app combinations that are unusually good. So you'll have to google for the reviews of phone birding apps such as these:
http://www.birderslibrary.com/features/iphone-bird-guide-comparison.htm or
http://www.birderslibrary.com/features/bird_listing_iphone_apps.htm
You will be happy with the switch in any case, as you will always have your Collins with you in your phone, plus you can use the phone to record voice notes and also take pictures at a pinch.

Thanks for the reply. I really need to know whether it's better to get an i-phone or android in terms of birding use and apps. Also, how much internet access people use - some of the deals offer 250mb per month- is that enough ?

I have an iphone 3GS and i would say on balance the iphone beats android currently for wildlife apps. Some of the iphone apps I rate which I don't think are available on android are Rare Bird Alert, Bird Journal and the Birdguide apps (particularly Birds of Northern Europe which has full text from the concise edition of BWP).

I don't think the Collins guide is available as an app yet, there is only the Windows Mobile ebook version.

I have the 8GB model and with my apps and approx 10 albums on I have used 6GB, so enough but I have to limit my MP3 files and have no video files on the phone.

I am not a heavy phone internet user and have a 500mb allowance. I don't think I have ever used even half of this.

Hope this helps

David

David , that is very useful info and is exactly what I needed to know.
thanks, Bill.

Bill

If you are going to ditch your pager and intend to use your phone for information one thing to consider is the 3G coverage in your area. At home I have no problem using the RBA app because my phone automatically connects to my WiFi router. Away from home though you need a 3G signal for the app to work (at least that is my experience). I am on O2 and find that 3G coverage patchy at times

David

I live in California and use an Android phone (HTC Inspire 4G (=Desire HD)).

My favorite apps for North America is iBird Pro. I also have National Geographic but it is harder to navigate.

A huge issue for me is that my smartphone is nearly unviewable outdoors. It is completely unreadable in sunlight, and bad even in shade. Check out this webpage http://www.displaymate.com/Smartphone_Brightness_ShootOut_1.htm to see how increased light makes screens unusable. Surprisingly, my iPod Touch is easy to use outdoors.

Still looking for a replacement Android phone.

Suggest I phone better for apps. I have found Bird Ticker app very useful. Create your own lists and ticks. Western Pal list now available. Hughie King.

If you decide to go down the iPhone route - check out Birder's Diary - available from the App store - it's getting more powerful and fully featured with each release...

I think you'll find more birding app for the Iphone than Android phones - the Birdguides ones are pretty good in my view....

John

For me it's got to be an iPhone! I've got a variety of Field Guides... Sibley, Audubon, iBirds Pro, iBirds UK & Birdguides North European Birds. I built them up over several months as if you're in no rush there's often an offer to be had. All the apps IMO have limitations and having several helps fill in the gaps.

...or if you're looking for a bird sightings service on your smart phone there's also BirdGuides & Rare Bird Alert. Or search on the internet for free information...

Last edited:
Nokia. It may not have bird apps, but has internal map navigation for many countries which is FREE and uses only the phone internal GPS - no fees for internet use abroad, works in thick forest and Aussie outback without mobile coverage, works even without SIM card inside phone.

After two birding outings abroad (4 and 6 days), saving on car satnav is already over half of the full cost of the phone.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back