• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Cinereous Vulture, Alentejo, Portugal (1 Viewer)

Bert

Birdwatchingalentejo.com
Cinereous Vulture, yesterday 12-04-2013 at the Alentejo steppes in Portugal.

Attachments

• Cinereous Vulture, Monniksgier.jpg
    Cinereous Vulture, Monniksgier.jpg
    319.2 KB · Views: 96
Nice shot Bert - judging by the moult pattern its one of the birds we observed the other day. They should be around for the summer now after being close to absent the last months - lets hope so - there's usually plenty of food in the summer. The vultures have been going slightly away from the area due to a new feeding station a little outside the normal birding circuits. Its off bounds and kept quiet - run by the Abutre-preto-Lynx project.

I'm waiting for them to start breeding in the area - its ideal for them.

Thank you Simon!! There were 4 of them. We all should be very grateful for the great efforts LPN and others are doing to preserve and enhance birds in this wonderful area.

Is that area doable on a short trip from Lisbon? I expect to have a conference there this summer.

Niels

Is that area doable on a short trip from Lisbon? I expect to have a conference there this summer.

Niels

Yes it is Niels,

But you will have to use a full day. It is 1,5 hours to get there and to get a good view of the area a full day is needed.

Bert

Yes it is Niels,

But you will have to use a full day. It is 1,5 hours to get there and to get a good view of the area a full day is needed.

Bert

Thank you Bert. I am now thinking that I might be able to do an early departure from the meeting last afternoon, stay overnight and enjoy the full day birding. Is there a site with information about what can be seen?

thanks
Niels

Hi Niels,

If you want to be taken from Lisbon and return with a guide then I have no hesitation recommending João Jara, who is based in Lisbon. http://www.birds.pt/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=14&Itemid=97

Alternatively, you could stay in Castro Verde overnight - I would recommend Vila Verde - a small, inexpensive and nicely appointed modern hotel. Its where I usually stay with folk.

Remember it can be very hot in the summer - depends exactly when you were visiting. Its still worthwhile in the heat with early starts - long lunch - and some shade birding in the afternoon ;)

You really should make it out there!

Simon

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back