• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Chile, Cinclodes (1 Viewer)

njlarsen

Gallery Moderator
Opus Editor
Supporter
Barbados
The following two pictures were taken in the same general area in lower Lauca NP. I initially thought they showed the same species, but looking at them again, I am not so sure, so what are they? Additionally, I did not find an illustration showing the barring on the undertail coverts visible here?

Thanks
Niels

Attachments

• Lauca-cinclodes-q1-P1070372.jpg
    Lauca-cinclodes-q1-P1070372.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 70
  • Lauca-cinclodes-q2-P1070382.jpg
    Lauca-cinclodes-q2-P1070382.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 58
Saturated colours aside, both these birds seem to be Bar-winged Cinclodes to me (on overall but especially wing pattern). The barred undertail coverts is possibly a subspecies related feature (wild guess here). They are well defined in this pic (link).

It is true that the bird in the link shows similar undertail coverts. I had expected that at least the second of the pictures would show a White-winged Cinclodes, due to the strongly rufous tones to the upperside and flanks?

thanks
Niels

Edit: When I looked at the two images in my initial post at home yesterday, the first one came out as much greyer on the upperparts. Today on the work PC, they look much more similar, so agree they show the same species, just as I initially thought.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back