• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon TC 2x TC-20EIII with Sigma 1/2.8 300mm or Sigma 120-300mm? (1 Viewer)

Hi everyone,

am wondering if anyone has some practise with Nikon's teleconverter:t: 2x (TC-20EIII) and any Sigma 1/2.8 lense (300mm or 120-300mm)?
Am using the TC-20EIII on Nikon's 1/2.8 70-200mm VRII ED lense and am happy but need more reach now.
Cheers
Michael
Sydney
:t:

Hi Michael,

You can't use the Nikon converter on Sigma lenses. There's a lug on the mount that physically prevents it being mounted on any non AF-I or AF-S Nikon lenses.
I have the Nikon 1.4/1.7 and 2.0 converters and they definitely don't fit my Sigma 300/2.8 or 500/4.5 lenses. They only fit my Nikon AF-S lenses.

If you feel brave, it's possible to grind off the lug:

http://nikonpages.heymanphotography.com/tcmod/index.html

Cheers,
Rog

The operation is very painless, 4 screws, remove the plate and with a Dremel or the like its off in a few seconds, ensure its very clean before refitting to the TC. As always there are buts.
Did my 1.4 and 1.7TC's (1.4 is no longer with me RIP) so it mounted on my Sigma 500/4.5 the 1.4 worked very well and the 1.7 didn't. having sold the Sigma 500/4.5 the 1.7 on my 400/2.8 reports a focal length of 950mm which is wrong but it's the only issue. the 1.4 and 2x both un-modded report 550 & 800 respectively.
I run in to a fellow photographer on the beach at Dunwich early this year who had a 300/2.8 Sigma and that refused to work with Nikon TC's it would not focus so I guess there may be a few quirks with Nikon TC's and Sigma 300/2.8's, tried his 300/2.8 on my body with the TC's and it was the same so we both agreed that the lens was the problem.
Try before you buy if you can find a modded TC or why not use the Sigma 2x?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back