• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panasonic G7 with Canon vintage lens (1 Viewer)

scotview

Hi,

I have recently purchased a vintage, 40 year old Canon 300mm prime lens to test it out with my G7 and to experience what it is like to use a fully manual, vintage lens, "old style".

I am pleasantly surprised with the results. Capturing 4K video with the G7 in shutter priority mode is fairly manageable.

I have attached a photo of the lens, with a teleconverter mounted on my G7.

I shot some nice 4K footage today of a Bittern at my local RSPB reserve and have attached some jpegs "grabbed" from 4K footage.

The G7 effectively makes the 300mm lens a 600mm prime.

Hope you find this interesting.

Attachments

• photo2.jpg
    photo2.jpg
    210.6 KB · Views: 164
  • bittern1 4 Mar.jpg
    bittern1 4 Mar.jpg
    454.4 KB · Views: 210
  • bittern2 4 March.jpg
    bittern2 4 March.jpg
    471.1 KB · Views: 153
  • bittern3  4Mar.jpg
    bittern3 4Mar.jpg
    380.8 KB · Views: 134
  • bittern4  4Mar).jpg
    bittern4 4Mar).jpg
    543.1 KB · Views: 174
Hi,

I have recently purchased a vintage, 40 year old Canon 300mm prime lens to test it out with my G7 and to experience what it is like to use a fully manual, vintage lens, "old style".

I am pleasantly surprised with the results. Capturing 4K video with the G7 in shutter priority mode is fairly manageable.

I shot some nice 4K footage today of a Bittern at my local RSPB reserve and have attached some jpegs "grabbed" from 4K footage.

These look nice.
The old 300s were plenty sharp in their day. I have an old Hasselblad 350/5.6 (Zeiss) which I would love to use more often but it's a bit heavy. The only problem with these lenses is the color can be a bit off on the digital cameras so may need a bit of "work" in post-processing.
It's a lot of fun playing around with this stuff though.
Neil.

Hi,

Those 4K grabs are great,do you have them online anywhere as i would like to show them on a photo forum i belong.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back