• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bats for Id - Andalucia - Spain (1 Viewer)

Hi Peter.

Thanks for your reply.

In terms of size it's hard to say but I would say at least 10cm.
Could they be myotis myotis? myotis daubentonii?
A lot of trip reports from the area refer those species as observed in the same tunnel.

They are Myotis daubentonii/mystacinus/brandti, the last two are almost inseparable, and differ from daubentonii in having smaller wrists and they have a dark nose, which is generally pinkish in daubentonii, but young daubentonii can have a dark nose as well.... To me the wrists are quite thick and the nose is not really brown, so it could well be daubentonii, but IDing from pictures is very hard for this group, so leave a question mark...

Thanks for your answer Dan.
Will take a look at the page.

I confess my total ignorance regarding bats. The trip reports from the same place do not refer the Miniopterus schreibersii anywhere. I was convinced they were Myotis sp.

Regards
Frederico

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back