• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (2 Viewers)

Hello Andrew
I'm undertaking my annual tour next week and will be around and about the Aberdeenshire region mid week for work...

Is there any local news on the Black Scotor off Blackdog ?
Is it a new bird there and where might be the best chance to access this , from the Blackdog village?

I will be trying for Orcas first off the top as missed them by an hour or so last year.

Thanks
Matthew

Hi Matthew,

I've not heard any 'new news' about the Black Scoter today. It may be that no one has looked yet, or if they have it's not been reported. Yesterday it was reported as close to Murcar golf club, where it's possible to park. That's to the south of Blackdog village. Obviously the scoter flock might move around though.

As far as I know it wasn't reported prior to yesterday, so I suspect it's new in. There have been quite a lot of scoter moving off the coast in the last week (bet it flew past Girdle Ness!). Hopefully it'll stay for the summer.

Nothing spectacular on the bird front but good views of a weasel searching the rocks to the south of the lighthouse breakwater in Greyhope Bay. Watched for a good 10 minutes before it took off up the road from the breakwater, camera, of course, was in the car !

Nothing spectacular on the bird front but good views of a weasel searching the rocks to the south of the lighthouse breakwater in Greyhope Bay. Watched for a good 10 minutes before it took off up the road from the breakwater, camera, of course, was in the car !

They like cheese sandwiches (experience gained long ago at Gullane Point, East Lothian).

Cheers

Generally rather quiet at the moment, although there's plenty of breeding going on. There was still at least one juvenile Moorhen on the marsh. There seem to be particularly high numbers of Reed Buntings this year, which is good to see, and a Yellowhammer was also singing this morning. A Peregrine flew through at some speed.

Otherwise there was very little except for two Puffins that were unusually close to the Ness.

Attachments

• Puffins_Girdle Ness_100617a.jpg
    Puffins_Girdle Ness_100617a.jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 97
My first wander around the Ness in a while today, at least after the rains abated. Things were typically mid-summer. It was good to see quite large numbers of terns roosting in Greyhope Bay. Most were Common and Sandwich - including several juveniles of each - but there was also one Arctic Tern. 38 Goosanders were in the harbour. Offshore, two Manx Shearwaters went north. Two Whimbrel flew south.

Last edited:
I had a quick wander along the north side of the Ness today, much of it in the rain. A few waders were around. Two Common Sandpipers were by the banana pier and a summer plumaged Knot was in Greyhope Bay. We also got the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser up and running:

Otherwise, there were two Red-breasted Mergansers and two Manx Shearwaters.

Had a couple of looks around the Ness today, with the onshore wind at least offering some promise. A few waders were about, with two Knot, three Dunlin, 26 Turnstone and the Purple Sandpiper Totaliser shooting up to three. There were 47 Goosander in the harbour.

I had a couple of goes at seawatching, once around midday and then early evening. The first session was best with a pale phase Arctic Skua, seven Manx Shearwaters and a Puffin. The evening produced another Arctic Skua, 50 Common Scoter and a Teal, but was generally underwhelming.

A small Peregrine flew along Victoria Road early in the afternoon.

A reasonably concerted seawatch this afternoon wasn't quite as good as I'd hoped, despite favourable conditions and a steady passage of common species. The highlight was a second calendar year Little Gull flying close inshore. Presumably the same bird was then seen perched on the rocks in Greyhope Bay. Also moving north were three Arctic Skuas and a Bonxie. Common Scoters passed through regularly, with 90 in total. There were also three Red-throated Divers, 14 Arctic Terns and, in Nigg Bay, a Red-breasted Merganser. Waders included a Dunlin, two Common Sandpipers and a Purple Sandpiper. A Sanderling was roosting on the breakwater. A Peregrine was darting about, at one stage unsuccessfully chasing a small wader around the harbour.

Some pics below:
1. Little Gull making a Kittiwake look big.
2. Six-spot Burnet Moth from yesterday.
3. One of the juvenile Moorhens from last weekend (when it was still sunny).
4. A Rook from last weekend - part of a flock of 21.

Attachments

• Little Gull_Girdle Ness_230717a.jpg
    Little Gull_Girdle Ness_230717a.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 98
  • Six Spot Burnet_Girdle Ness_220717a.jpg
    Six Spot Burnet_Girdle Ness_220717a.jpg
    222.3 KB · Views: 82
  • Moorhen_Girdle Ness_160717a.jpg
    Moorhen_Girdle Ness_160717a.jpg
    399.3 KB · Views: 69
  • Rook_Girdle Ness_160717a.jpg
    Rook_Girdle Ness_160717a.jpg
    269 KB · Views: 72
Had a look around the north side of the Ness this morning. I had slight hopes of the odd migrant but there weren't any. The most notable bird at the Battery was a single Rook. Ten Knot were on Greyhope Bay and a pale phase Arctic Skua was offshore. 50 Goosander were in the harbour.

Had a bit of a look around today. Not too much so just some numbers for you: Eider (501), Goosander (76), Ringed Plover (8), Turnstone (56), Knot (1), Redshank (21), Rook (1), Grey Wagtail (2). Exciting.

Attachments

• Knot_Girdle Ness_050817a.jpg
    Knot_Girdle Ness_050817a.jpg
    287.2 KB · Views: 77
Not the most promising conditions today, but there was a bit of interest. Somewhat to my surprise I found a half decent migrant. I was down by the Tullos Burn and thought I could hear a Willow Warbler calling from the scrub. Except it wasn't a Willow Warbler, it was a male Redstart (I think an adult in non-breeding plumage rather than a young one. It later showed well nearer the waterworks. Wonder where it came from.

Moorhens were conspicuous in the marsh and seem to have had a second brood of two. There were also two immatures from earlier in the season, with seven in all probably a record count for here. There were also at least two juvenile Sparrowhawks about, with them giving loud begging calls quite often. Presumably they bred nearby. Fourteen Rooks were also about. Insects included several Shaded Broad-bar moths and two Emerald Damselflies.

Elsewhere things were quiet but a Lesser Redpoll was along the north bank near the breakwater. Also good to see a few young Sand Martins peeking out from the holes.

Attachments

• Redstart_Girdle Ness_060817a.jpg
    Redstart_Girdle Ness_060817a.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Redstart_Girdle Ness_060817b.jpg
    Redstart_Girdle Ness_060817b.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Gannet_Girdle Ness_060817a.jpg
    Gannet_Girdle Ness_060817a.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 98
  • Sand Martin_Girdle Ness_060817a.jpg
    Sand Martin_Girdle Ness_060817a.jpg
    327.5 KB · Views: 100
  • Shaded Broad Bar_Girdle Ness_060817a.jpg
    Shaded Broad Bar_Girdle Ness_060817a.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
An evening wander produced a few waders, including three Knot and three Dunlin. Offshore there were two Bonxies, one Arctic Skua and four Manx Shearwaters.

Fairly quiet here over the past few days. There have been some waders going through e.g. a Common Sandpiper yesterday and at least one Knot. Today a few groups of Dunlin (probably totalling around 25 birds) went through. A Bonxie flew up the coast today but otherwise the sea has been slow going. Walker Park is quite overgrown now, but today it held three Wheatears hopping about in the long grass, my first of the autumn.

Seawatching this morning was quite good! Cory's shearwater, 5 sooty, 36 manx, and small numbers of great and Arctic skua in 1 hour before work.

I was away while Mark was seeing loads of good birds, but was back in action today seeing... well not that much really, but there was a little bit of interest. The Nigg Bay area this morning featured now regular stuff like Moorhen, Long-tailed Tit, Lesser Redpoll and Rook. There was also a Snipe back in the marsh. A flock of around 15 Tree Sparrows flew south.

This afternoon I traversed the north side. A White Wagtail was in Greyhope Bay and two Bonxies went north offshore. The best bird was a juvenile Bar-tailed Godwit roosting on Skate's Nose, along with a juvenile Knot. There are thousands of Kittiwakes around the harbour but it's noticeable how few juveniles there are - just 15 counted in a massive flock on the breakwater, for example.

Attachments

• Bar Tailed Godwit_Girdle Ness_260817a.jpg
    Bar Tailed Godwit_Girdle Ness_260817a.jpg
    365.4 KB · Views: 106
Interesting that you had tree sparrows - I had some earlier in August and another the other day. Not the first time I've had them in august but not a 'classic' time for them.

I had another cuckoo on friday.

A few good bits and bobs yesterday...

A 1cy Tystie offshore at the foghorn (it's been there on and off for a week or so), a juv little gull with the kittiwakes in greyhope bay, 3 black-tailed godwits south over the foghorn, and the usual skuas, couple of whimbrel, knot etc too.

Some good seabirds in the Moray Firth over the last few days (Cory's and two Sabs gulls) so well worth keeping a look out for that sort of thing).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back