• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bittell Reservoirs and Hopwood area (1 Viewer)

Everyone a flier tonight.....especially the 100 Million insects....

Attachments

• WA 1.jpg
    WA 1.jpg
    667.4 KB · Views: 54
  • WA 2.jpg
    WA 2.jpg
    632.1 KB · Views: 49
  • WA 3.jpg
    WA 3.jpg
    510.8 KB · Views: 51
  • WA 4.jpg
    WA 4.jpg
    591.1 KB · Views: 56
Upper - 4pm today - Green Woodpecker flyover from Sailing Club along the causeway, a single Common Tern, small group of Linnet in front of the Sailing Club, Pied and Grey Wagtails along the causeway, marked increase in Lapwing numbers around the reservoir edges.

UPPER..7.30pm

No Common Tern and on a cold evening with drizzle the Swallows and Martins still put on a great display.
The nightly flock of local Jackdaws suddenly flew up from the trees on the east shore before one last walkabout before bedtime. Couldnt get the full amount in the frame even from the causeway LOL

Attachments

• JACKS 1.JPG
    JACKS 1.JPG
    687.3 KB · Views: 49
  • JACKS 2.JPG
    JACKS 2.JPG
    748.5 KB · Views: 65
Hi All could anyone give me an idea of the best place to park and way to walk around bittell and surrounding area although fairly local to it not familiar with it.

Thanks

Zeberdy

Hi All could anyone give me an idea of the best place to park and way to walk around bittell and surrounding area although fairly local to it not familiar with it.

Thanks

Zeberdy

See posts #152 and #153 on this thread.....might help a bit.

In the absence of much activity on the water this time of year, I decided to walk the fields and see how Bittells 'farmland bird' situation was looking. Despite rapid decrease all over the UK taking its toll in the area, numbers of Yellowhammer, Reed Bunting, Skylark, Linnet and considerable numbers of Lapwing can still be seen with not too much effort. Good to see that they are still around, and seem to be doing alright. Would be nice to see R.L. Partridge around Bittell, but I'm sure they are around somewhere.....

LOWER...King on outfall rail and tree for a few seconds.

UPPER...3 Common Tern...few Swallow and House Martins.

UPDATE....7pm...now 4 Tern.

Ended up with 5 Tern and 13 Lapwing on the East shoreline.

Had the King on the outfall on Lower again around 7.30 pm.

Again its so hard to even look for stuff on Lower (Mill Shrub anyhow) with the hedges thick and high.....King pics shot through hedge and leaves...lol

Attachments

• JU 1.jpg
    JU 1.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 66
  • JU 2.jpg
    JU 2.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 59
  • JU 3.jpg
    JU 3.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 61
  • JU4.jpg
    JU4.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 65
  • JUU 9.JPG
    JUU 9.JPG
    529.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Some terrible shots of the Terns......and a Brown Headed Gull....

Attachments

• JU 5.jpg
    JU 5.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 52
  • JU 6.jpg
    JU 6.jpg
    88.3 KB · Views: 58
  • JU 7.jpg
    JU 7.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 63
  • JU 8.jpg
    JU 8.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 57
LOWER.....12.30....

Have been seeing Lapwing around the right shore since spring and not sure if any are youngsters as only had camera with me for the last few weeks.
Can make out about 9 birds in this and there were a few on an outcrop further away.

Attachments

• Canon 2017 JULY 3 009 A.jpg
    Canon 2017 JULY 3 009 A.jpg
    595.4 KB · Views: 65
Had a look around the back of the services yesterday to see how the flowers and Insects were getting on.....lots of Knapweed and some yellow ones but the whole place is being choked with the grasses.....

Marbled White....only about 20 and non landing.
Small Skippers
Meadow Brown
Ringlet
One Small Tortoiseshell
A few Common Darter
Half dozen Brown Hawker

Than went to the very far North Fields at Bittell....better know as fields by Nuthurst Road.

Loads of Marbled White...landing
Few 5 Spot Burnets
Small Skipper
Meadow Brown
Ringlet

Attachments

• J3 6.jpg
    J3 6.jpg
    566.2 KB · Views: 69
  • J3 5.jpg
    J3 5.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 84
  • J3 2.jpg
    J3 2.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 50
  • J3 3.jpg
    J3 3.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 45
  • J3 1.jpg
    J3 1.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 51
Upper, 4pm - Black-tailed Godwit x2, Barnacle Geese x10, Common Tern x3+

One of the locals with a permit told me that the area round the other side of the Sailing Club held several Common Sandpiper and Ringed Plover.

The same person told me that the Upper reservoir is being progressively drained over the next few months prior to repair work on some of the underwater infrastructure. Some debate about what's going to happen to the presumably numerous and sizable fish in the reservoir.

Upper, 4pm - Black-tailed Godwit x2, Barnacle Geese x10, Common Tern x3+

One of the locals with a permit told me that the area round the other side of the Sailing Club held several Common Sandpiper and Ringed Plover.

The same person told me that the Upper reservoir is being progressively drained over the next few months prior to repair work on some of the underwater infrastructure. Some debate about what's going to happen to the presumably numerous and sizable fish in the reservoir.

Good sightings rob, did the Barnacles pass through or stick around?

Hi Josh

The Barnacles were hanging around with a larger group of Canadas. They'd apparently been there most of the day and didn't seem in any hurry to move on.

Popped back this afternoon as I had an unexpected hour free.

Barnacles still around, behind the broad shingle area where the gulls and cormorants roost.

At least five Common Terns chasing each other around and making a racket.

Also still two Godwits. They were on the opposite side of the reservoir from the dam. Viewing them through an Opticron MM3 60 so not the most powerful of scopes, but one of them was markedly red on the neck, flanks and underneath, and I'm sure I caught a hint of a shorter slightly upturned beak.

LOWER....

Pair G.C.Grebes with 2 young
Tufted Mom with 4 young
Mallard Mom still got her one....Seen it from almost day one.
3 Lapwing
A common Blue on the causeway flower bed.

Attachments

• UP 2_filtered.jpg
    UP 2_filtered.jpg
    161.3 KB · Views: 46
  • UP 10_filtered.jpg
    UP 10_filtered.jpg
    225.6 KB · Views: 55
  • UP 9_filtered.jpg
    UP 9_filtered.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 47
  • UP  8_filtered.jpg
    UP 8_filtered.jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 46
The rest...

Attachments

• UP 5_filtered.jpg
    UP 5_filtered.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 62
  • UP 12.jpg
    UP 12.jpg
    715.3 KB · Views: 39
  • UP 7_filtered.jpg
    UP 7_filtered.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 61
  • UP 6_filtered.jpg
    UP 6_filtered.jpg
    186 KB · Views: 61
  • UP 13.jpg
    UP 13.jpg
    756.9 KB · Views: 68
UPPER....

2 Common Tern
3 Cormorant
3 Lapwing
Swallow
House Martin
Small Copper on Causeway
Besides the usual B.H.Gulls and unknown Larger ones.

Attachments

• UP 1_filtered.jpg
    UP 1_filtered.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 65
  • UP 11_filtered.jpg
    UP 11_filtered.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 48
  • UP 4_filtered.jpg
    UP 4_filtered.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 56
  • UP 3_filtered.jpg
    UP 3_filtered.jpg