• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Suggestions please as where to find these birds (1 Viewer)

Cheng Qian

Hi all, I'm a keen birder from China, and now in Durham University. I have been to some recommended places (Whitburn, Rainton Meadows, Tees Marshes, Hartlepool, Dewent moors, Wolsingham) to watch bird, but still miss some species. Could you help recommend the best place (place in NE England is best) to see them ? :eat:

Here is my target bird list:
Ring Ouzel
Whinchat
Black Grouse
Pied Flycatcher & Wood Warbler
Barn Owl
Grey Partridge

Really thanks if you can help!! I will stay in Durham until September and will have lot free time to wander around.

Hi Cheng Qian and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

I'll give you links to access to our Opus articles for the North East of England the first one for Durham and then Northumberland.

Hopefully you'll find these interesting read until someone more local comes in to help you.

Meantime I hope you enjoy your time here with us. Good luck with your target birds.

Ring Ouzel - take the B6278 out of Stanhope in Weardale towards Crawleyside. As you enter the moor at the top of the first hill you'll see a small valley on the left. There are often birds in that valley in Spring/Summer.

Black Grouse - drive the road over from Weardale at St. John's Chapel to Teesdale. Look either side of the road as you descend into Teesdale. They are not as common as they were in my youth, but I have seen a couple there in recent years.

Can't help with the others.

Mick

Ring Ouzel more likely to be seen this time of year as they are feeding young. Weardale towards Crawleyside not the best bet for seeing this bird. Go the otherway from Stanhope to Bollihope (heading towards Middleton in Teesdale) park by bollihope stream and view both sides of the road they usually nest successfully in this area. Black Grouse can be seen in good numbers 50+ around Langdon Beck during late Autumn to early Spring. They tend to keep there heads down during Summer. A good place to try is drive down road past Langdon Beck Hotel towards Cow Green Reservoir. Travel along road until you come to sign for Cow Green then take turning to the right. View fields both side of the road and you should see a few feeding in the fields. Usually in one and twos.

Thank you all for taking time out to reply! I'll follow Michael and MTem's suggestions to further explore Durham Moors recently. Also from Delia's Opus articles info I find Barnard Castle could be a close place to look for Pied Flycatcher & Wood Warbler. Wish to see them soon :)

Cheng

Hi Cheng,

I live (most of the time) and work in NW Durham, but do most of my birding in Northumberland, so might be of limited help. Barn owl and grey partridge are both widespread but scattered in distribution, so in some ways harder to pin down than the 'star' species with well-known locations.
I saw a barn owl hunting along a field margin to the west of High Hedleyhope Farm about a month ago (minor road south of B6301 Lanchester to Tow Law road, grid ref. NZ146409 - note not on Hedleyhope Fell to the north), but for both species SE Northumberland may be a better bet. Round where I live the partridges all seem to be introduced red-legged.
In Northumberland, the area of Druridge Bay from Cresswell Ponds to Druridge Pools / East Chevington has a good population of both grey partridge and barn owl - and at this time of year barn owls can be seen foraging over dunes in daylight in the early morning.

Thanks @kb57. Yes I have seen Reg-legged partridge several times in Durham but still no Grey, I may try it in Northumberland.

Past week I travelled from South England to Yorkshire and added these lifers:
Dartfort Warbler -- New Forest National Park, Southampton
Cirl Bunting -- RSPB Labrator Bay, Devon
Barn Owl -- Lower Derwent Valley NNR, Yorkshire
Corn Crake -- Lower Derwent Valley NNR, Yorkshire

Also I add Spotted Flycatcher, Hobby, Tree Pipit and Marsh Harrier to my UK list. Very nice trip!

Last edited:
Seen years ago but worth checking these areas ...
Ring Ouzel - Marsden Quarry South Shields
Whinchat - Gypsies Green / Trow Quarry area
Pied Flycatcher - Gabs Carp Park, Hebburn
Wood Warbler - Souter Lighthouse Country Park

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back