• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (1 Viewer)

Itombwe Nightjar and Cayenne Nightjar should be on the list I suppose, no one's seen these with certainty as far as i'm aware.

South Georgia Pipit is another remote bird.

how many people on the forum have been to Sao Tome & Principe? 23 (or so) endemics to be had there, all pretty easy, although Sao Tome Grosbeak can be a bit of a bugger i'm told, it's usually the endemic everyone misses.

Tepui Tinamou?

Duida Grass-Finch? - apparently seen only by one ornithologist who visited a remote mountain Duida in Venezuela and shot some specimens. I wonder if anybody re-visited this place afterwards?

Damar Flycatcher? - Damar is an islet in Indonesia perhaps visited only twice by ornithologists, with a century in between.

Red Sea Swallow? White-eyed River-Martin? - other mythical birds

White-eared Night Heron?

Duida Grass-Finch? - apparently seen only by one ornithologist who visited a remote mountain Duida in Venezuela and shot some specimens. I wonder if anybody re-visited this place afterwards?

Unlike the species of the eastern Tepuis (species found on regularly visitied Mt. Roraima or Sierra de Lema), there are a small number of species (notably Buff-breasted Sabrewing, White-faced Whitestart, Guaiquinima Whitestart, Scaled Flowerpiercer and above mentioned Duida Grass-Finch) restricted to the central and/or western Tepuis that have been seen by virtually no living birders/ornithologists. Anyhow, these region, incl. Duida, have actually been visited by a few ornitholoigsts within the last 10 years, and I know they've seen some of the species, but really don't remember if the Duida Grass-Finch was among them.

Grey-winged Cotinga

I have seen the Grey-winged Cotinga twice in Serra dos Órgãos National Park though in Caledonia is much easier. If you know the place where the G-w Cotinga lives, you can find it easily.

I was going to mention Sth Georgia Pipit, along with the Tristan and Gough endemics- all on my list- as are White-eyed River Martin, Raso Lark and Fiji Petrel( 25 n.m. NNE of Ngau in 1998 ). What about the Socotra endemics, Sao Thome + Principe endemics, Aloatra Grebe and Atilan Grebe ( must be someone old enough to have these two?
Chris

Last edited:
From an African perspective, there was a very good article on this theme in the August 2007 African Bird Club Bulletin entitled "Birds to find: a review of 'lost', obscure and poorly known African bird species" by S. Buchart. Unfortunately I don't have it to hand but if anyone does it could add a lot of extremely challenging species to the BF Wanted list.

Prigogine's Nightjar. Only known from a single wing found in Zaire in 1952!
You're mixing up two species: Prigogine's (or Itombwe) is known from a single female specimen, and may have been tape-recorded elsewhere in the Congo forest block. The single wing was Nechisar Nightjar, which was seen recently.

How about White-chested Tinkerbird (Pogoniulus makawai)?

You're mixing up two species: Prigogine's (or Itombwe) is known from a single female specimen, and may have been tape-recorded elsewhere in the Congo forest block. The single wing was Nechisar Nightjar, which was seen recently.

Cheers for the clarification xenospiza!:t:

How about White-chested Tinkerbird (Pogoniulus makawai)?

==> Hybrid or atypical Yellow-rumped Tinkerbird, but unlikely a full species.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back