• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Have You Seen Any of These Birds? (1 Viewer)

New Caledonian Owlet-Nightjar, Archibold's Owlet-Nightjar, Bahian Nighthawk, Heinrich's ( Satanic) Nightjar, Jamaican Poorwill, Puerto Rican Nightjar, White-winged Nightjar, Roiraman Nightjar, Cayenne Nightjar and, if it's a valid species, Vaurie's Nightjar to add to the list, just in the nightjars and Allies. Aloatra Grebe must have been seen by someone, as well.
Chris

Kinglet Calyptura

I was present when our guide in Ubatuba felt he had seen one (very briefly). Unfortunately, the bird flew before he could get the rest of us on it. We and other groups spent two days trying to relocate it with no luck.

Hi Jeff
was your guide Tomas Sigrist? I have heard about this some times. In Tomas Sigrist's book he describes this case.

How about White-chested Tinkerbird (Pogoniulus makawai)?

==> Hybrid or atypical Yellow-rumped Tinkerbird, but unlikely a full species.

That's (still) a matter of opinion:

http://people.pwf.cam.ac.uk/cns26/NJC/Papers/Pogoniulus_makawai.pdf

gandytron; no Choco Vireo for me, but I'll take the two others + Elusive Antpitta, White-winged Nightjar
& Bahian (or better, Plain-tailed) Nighthawk mentioned earlier. Never been to Sulawesi, but apparently Satanic Nightjar, a species virtually unknown in life until a few years ago, is now fairly easy there. At least five separate BF members have seen it, and at least three photographed it (two of which uploaded photos of this species to BF).

Anyhow, a fair percentage of the species mentioned in this thread haven't been seen by *anybody* for quite some time, and in addition to the species where it already is mentioned, Bachman's Warbler, Jamaican Poorwill and Aloatra Grebe are quite possibly extinct. Silvery Wood Pigeon.... well, who knows: http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=134528

Last edited:
Just a few more " goodies" to consider among the Sunbirds and Flowerpeckers, Whiskered Flowerpecker, Flame-crowned Flowerpecker, Cebu Flowerpecker, Black-bellied Flowerpecker, Loisade Flowerpecker, Principe Sunbird, Newton's Sunbird, Sao Thome Sunbird, Socotra Sunbird, Prigogine's Double-collared Sunbird, Rockerfeller's Sunbird, Apricot-breasted Sunbird, Humblot's Sunbird, Anjouan Sunbird, Mayotte Sunbird, Apo Sunbird, Lina's Sunbird and, surprised no-one else has mentioned this, Tuamoto Sandpiper ( one of my "must see before I die" birds.
Chris

I think the River Martin (post #39) must be a typo...?

Chris Butterworth has verified (per. comm) that he saw the White-eyed River Martin, Bung Boraphet, Thailand, January, 1980.

* This species may now be extinct. The last "confirmed sighting" was in 1978, according to BirdLife International. The latest "unconfirmed sightings" were pre 1987.

Chris Butterworth has verified (per. comm) that he saw the White-eyed River Martin, Bung Boraphet, Thailand, January, 1980.

* This species may now be extinct. The last "confirmed sighting" was in 1978, according to BirdLife International. The latest "unconfirmed sightings" were pre 1987.

Larry,

I'm totally gripped by Chris having seem this near mythical species (and I was still reeling from him having seen Bulwer's Pheasant!)

There seems to be an anomaly between authors on the last confirmed record - Turner & Rose (1989) put it at 1980, whilst Tobias (2000) and the BirdLife website puts it at 1978, with unconfirmed records afterwards.

Here's hoping the species is still out there somewhere!

Thanks and best wishes

Dave

Last edited:

That is quite incredible and gets my vote for rarest bird seen by anyone on Birdforum.

I've seen Green-breasted Pitta (Cameroon) and Cebu Flowerpecker (Alcoy Forest), glimpsed Shelley's Eagle Owl (UTV) though BF Antshrike scored in Ghana, see trip report in relevant section.

I think Mount Cameroon Francolin and Bate's Weaver should be added to the list |:D|

Last edited:
The thread seems to have stalled a bit, so here's a few more to add to the list!!
Junin Grebe ( if still extant ), Hooded Grebe, Amsterdam Albatross, Mascarene Petrel, Bermuda Petrel, Beck's Petrel, Magenta Petrel, Chatham I. Petrel ( Taiko ), Heinroth's Shearwater, Cambell I. Cormorant, ( Aukland I Cormorant[/B] and Pitt I. Shag if valid species ), Chinese Crested Tern and Kerguelen Tern.
Chris

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back