• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young hawk (1 Viewer)

Richard L

Richard L.
I was taking a rest from working in the backyard when all of a sudden a young hawk flew after some birds, the birds didn't seem to be afraid and just flew to another branch of the tree. The young hawk kept after them including chasing large white wing doves. Finally the young hawk flew high up into some branches, fluffed himself up and fell asleep. He was up there asleep for hours and now with the sun going down and he is still up there alone. I'll check him in the morning again, we have sharp shinned hawks flying around here so maybe its a young one of them. I'll ad a photo, maybe someone can ID it from the photo but being that young it will be difficult? The photo was hand held and not that great. Hope to get a better shot of it soon.
Richard L.

Attachments

• DSCN7000.JPG
    DSCN7000.JPG
    144.9 KB · Views: 449
Hi Richard,

Looks like a Nighthawk to me (I don't know if it's the Common or the Lesser - I think you have both in your area); superficially similar to smaller hawks and falcons in flight but an insect eater - the way it's sitting along the branch is a good feature, too.

Search in the Gallery for more pictures.

Andy.

Nice photo, by the way ;)!

Yeah agree on Common Nighthawk - a real treat to find any of these ostensibly nocturnal birds perched during the daytime - I have only seen them in flight up here near dusk - very cool. Luke

agree on common nighthawk
i'm afraid he'll be gone tomorrow, as he was resting for the day (dusk/night hunter)

nice thing to see that close/long, even more to able ta take a nice pic

:t:

Gorgeous bird, not a raptor at all, but more closely related to the swift family. Over here we have summer residents of the same family, called nightjars. Which is odd, as they look much more like hawks than jars - no lid.

James

Thanks to everyone on the nighthawk, very interesting to see it yesterday and to get a few shots of it. Hope it comes around again. Thanks again.. Richard L.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back