• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (5 Viewers)

A good morning at Berry Head. Final combined totals below (Birds marked with an asterisk I did not get onto, or arrived too late to see).

Sabine's Gull 4
Roseate Tern* 1
Black Tern 10
Arctic Tern* 3
Common Tern 74
Sandwich Tern 92
Sooty Shearwater
Balearic Shearwater* 3
Manx Shearwater 68
Pomarine Skua 6
Great Skua 14
Arctic Skua 71Puffin* 2
Storm Petrel 7
Common Scoter 12

Great totals Joe! I'd love to see pom again. Looking great for the weekend, is Greater Sand Plover a taster of things to come?

Two robins were having an all-out scrap in my garden, complete with spectators (!) which included blackbirds, tits and a few more robins. As it escalated it reminded me distinctly of a documentary I saw with some Kingfishers fighting (they were doing the same grab-you-by-the-throat move) in which one was about to be drowned by the other, but then a mink came and ate them! At any rate, things were looking bad, so I had to go out and break up the fight!

Well done Joe! Sounds like seawatching's good down south too!
I just got back from D of E silver expedition this afternoon after walking 50km over the last 3 days! :eek!:
Tommorrow James and I are getting up early and doing Blakeney Point!
Anyone else think I'm stupid, or do I just like birding so much B :)

Evening,
I'm on a roll at the moment, after co-finding the second Landguard Dotterel and a Honey Buzzard last weekend, an Osprey over Livermere lake this afternoon is firmly on my own self found list! Suffolk tick as well (not that I keep a self found list, honest...)
As I hope your all aware i've changed the url of my blog, so can everyone please update their links.
Norfolk next weekend, hoping for another find I fancy a nice passerine.
Cheers
Steve

Nice going Steve (told you we should've played finders keepers! :t:). What I like about your blog is the style of writing, which is refreshingly un-birder like.

Where are you going this weekend, 'cos Sim and I hope to be out on Saturday (haven't actually asked Dad yet though, which could pose some small problems...)? Yellow-browed could be on the cards, so be extra vigilant when passing by sycamores.

Nice going Steve (told you we should've played finders keepers! :t:). What I like about your blog is the style of writing, which is refreshingly un-birder like.

Where are you going this weekend, 'cos Sim and I hope to be out on Saturday (haven't actually asked Dad yet though, which could pose some small problems...)? Yellow-browed could be on the cards, so be extra vigilant when passing by sycamores.

Yeah I was wondering on the train home from school if we had where i'd have come. Oh well, competition turns me nasty.
Cheers for the comment on my writing, nowt wrong with an adjective or two is there:t:

Not sure where i'm going yet, but Norfolk is definately on as my dad and me are going with a mate of ours, so were gonna let him choose the venue. Probably not Titchwell though.
Cheers
Rutt

Well we probably won't be going anywhere east of Cley (unless an uber-rare turns up).

Darn you and your adjectives, English Boy, I used to be able to write like that until I stopped reading fiction and studying English (as you might expect would be the case!). All mine tend to be variations on "beautiful" or "exciting" now :-C

What an amazing day out today, definitely one to remember (sadly my last before going to uni, but a fitting end to an exhilarating birding year)! Began at Burnham Overy at first light to a beautiful scene - flocks of wildfowl going overhead constantly (and being shot down!) with one flock of 18 little egrets - and the sunrise through the mist was exquisite. Plenty of migrants in the bushes, mainly dunnock, robin, song thrush and goldcrest, but in the end we made it to the edge of Holkham pines without finding anything of note. Once in the pines we located the Raddes twitch, but being a Raddes it was extremely elusive! We spent a good 2 or 3 hours there (mainly hearing it call) before I finally got vaguely decent views (Simeon always gets them before me!), having extremely bad views of a Yellow-browed Warbler in the process.

We then decided to go for the Blyths Reed Warbler, passing by some people looking for a Red-breasted Flycatcher they had just found (we thought we would run out of time). Outside the pines things seemed to be hotting up as we found a Redstart and tit flocks were everywhere. We later learned there was a lot more to be had with Richards Pipit, Red-backed Shrike and Great Grey Shrike found there! As we reached the car our searching was rewarded however, as a Honey Buzzard soared over us!

We stopped for lunch before going for the Blyths. On arrival things didn't look good with about 50 bored birders hanging around. It hadn't been seen since 9:30 and it was now 2 in the afternoon! We decided to look round the back rather than join the ranks of the bored... and it paid off! A loud tacking noise (a bit more resounding than blackcap) alerted us and soon Simeon (first again) had good views of the Blyths! We alerted the hordes and after a bit more waiting left, since it never showed as well as it had done initially.

We stopped at Titchwell on the way back and jammed in on the Phalarope and Pectoral Sandpiper! A last stop at Snettisham patch for the memories made a perfect end.

Hope you had a great day out Steve. I tried to call you but you didn't answer!

Hope you had a great day out Steve. I tried to call you but you didn't answer!

Sorry was probably out of signal somewhere reminding my self why Suffolk will always be the better county for birding.

I'm gonna get sick of saying it soon, but everyone who has a link up to On-Firecrests birding blockbuster is wasting space since it no longer exists;) Please can you all update your links.

Cheers
Steve

sooooooooooo it appears nobody posts on here anymore...

Have we all stopped birding? I know I have! Darn essays on speciation through sensory drive in cichlid fish... why couldn't it be speciation through sensory drive in chinese pheasants?

Nice one with the Green Heron David, whats the story behind it?

Stupid Green Heron. Stupid Westerlies. By train its £30 James - what do u think - would u mind? Hehehe. Not sure I'll go though - now Connor's backed out!!!!

Green Heron was a cracker. Got there just after it was apparently showing extremley well, fishing in the open and all but still got good views.
Arrived at about 7:45am and got to the bird at 8:00am where there was a large crowd of birders. By the names they were referring to each other as, I could see that a lot of them were well known keen county listers.
Watched the bird for nearly an hour, it didn't do much; changed position slightly twice and that was it, still a stunner.

GREEN HERON 1 small.jpg

Nowhere near as good a shot as others got. Handheld Nokia N95 phone to Swarovski ATS 80 HD.

Met 3 guys from one of my local patches, Beddington SF, down there.

Unlucky boys Im going for the Green Heron tomorrow :D just one thing to add ive alreadi seen one :p

I'm sure Simeon will agree with me when I say "you're a Fat Mess!".

Have a good time ;)

Does anybody know who Greg Wills is? He posted a few lovely shots of the Land's End Bluethroat on birdguides.

This thread always seems to start and stop very quickly!
I'll try and start it again with a recent report on general stuff (birdwise)
Had a lovely day on the North Norfolk coast on 1st November. Red Flanked Bluetail at Muckleburgh Hill, 18 Waxwings near the school at Kelling, and a self found Yellow-Browed Warbler at West Runton along with a Woodcock along the cliffs at Cromer lighthouse.
I finally got the green heron in Kent on 8th November - cracking bird, despite the weather it showed very well in the end.
Haven't been out much since then except to the local patch. Large numbers of thrushes moving through and recently settling. Probably the most notable day was 30th October after some Easterly winds. 101 Fieldfare W, 185 Redwing W and 65 Blackbird. Numbers of Blackbirds on the gound increased overnight with the snow and cold weather. When I went out this morning I got 53 Blackbirds at the patch (hopefully be ringing some soon). there was 2cm of snow and it was -2 celsius :-O
Still havent seen any Goosanders at Denver Sluice, but I know their favourite haunt, further down the river, from last year, so I'll check it soon. Had a nice Snipe there recently, along with a record count of 17 Great Crested Grebes.
Very annoyed when Steve offered me a lift to the shrike in lincs yesterday (no offence intended) because I didn't have time!
How has everyone else been doing?
Have you had better views of the Sardinian Warbler at Berry Head Joe?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back