• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (3 Viewers)

i know now the subjects changed from awards to dippers but how to organised it... over BF of course! Firstly we need to decide how to do this( date time blah de dah) the categorys ( rarest bird found etc) decide whos up for the catogory* dont worry abot certificates ive got that sorted!
* i don'tknow how to spell this but who cares it isnt an english lesson!

A few suggestions of categories, for you to think about:

Rarest bird seen

Top national life list as of the date of award

Top year list (if people from different countries still use this thread then i recommend it should be split by country to make it fair)- if you are including this category then it should be done at the end of a year, or beginning of the following year, obviously.

Rarest bird found

Best garden bird

Best local bird (set a standard distance, like 10km?)

D.B.

It's going to be difficult making the rules for this, but it should be fun. For example, I take it the competition is only open to thread members. So we need to put a definition on members....e.g. at least 5 posts in the past 2 months (not saying this should be it, just an example). This way people from outside the thread can't ruin our fun and steal all the prizes!

Here's a list of all the birds I've seen in the past week or so:

Herring Gull
House Sparrow
Carrion Crow
Robin
Wren
Great Tit
Woodpigeon
Rock Dove/Feral Pigeon
Blackcap
Yellow-legged Gull
Common Gull
Little Gull
Glaucous Gull
Iceland Gull
Mallard
Mute Swan
Blackbird
Starling
Magpie
Coal Tit

Not bad for a week

Nice one! Is that just around Aberdeen (awesome area, Sim and I were up at Blackdog and Rattray Head last summer :eat:)

What orchid is that Shrikebirder? I'm rubbish at orchids, except the ones I've seen!

For the competition, there should be some kind of 'most improved category'. Pity I wont be able to compete :-C Have fun!

heres a pic from yesterday a scarlet tiger moth:t: got two lifers yesterday Sedge warbler(i looked into a bush and saw the white eyebrow,then it came into the open)and Cettis warbler (it sang and then flew out of a bush),i also added Marsh harrier to the yearlisto:D

also any know what this bad pic of an orchard(how can you muck up a stationary plant lol) is?

Attachments

• 2009_0309TURBOLISTER0010.JPG
    2009_0309TURBOLISTER0010.JPG
    105.3 KB · Views: 52
  • 2009_0309TURBOLISTER0008.JPG
    2009_0309TURBOLISTER0008.JPG
    115.6 KB · Views: 61
Nice one! Is that just around Aberdeen (awesome area, Sim and I were up at Blackdog and Rattray Head last summer :eat:)

What orchid is that Shrikebirder? I'm rubbish at orchids, except the ones I've seen!

For the competition, there should be some kind of 'most improved category'. Pity I wont be able to compete :-C Have fun!

All in Aberdeen except for the Little Gull which was a few miles south in Inverbervie, other than that 3/4 of the list has been visible from my window with a few such as the Glaucious and Iceland Gulls down at the Beach.

Oh and there could be something like Best/Rarest/Most Unusual Behavior witnessed.

Bee Orchid
TJ your orchid (not orchard!) is a Southern Marsh!

heres a pic from yesterday a scarlet tiger moth:t: got two lifers yesterday Sedge warbler(i looked into a bush and saw the white eyebrow,then it came into the open)and Cettis warbler (it sang and then flew out of a bush),i also added Marsh harrier to the yearlisto:D

also any know what this bad pic of an orchard(how can you muck up a stationary plant lol) is?

I have a friend who i go birding with sometimes and he knows about orchids so i'll ask him we have the same type down at brockholes quarry

I'd say either the uncommon pink variety of the Early-purple Orchid (Orchis mascula) or the Southern Marsh Orchid (Dactylorhiza praetermissa)

so when are we going to do the Young birder awards? if we do the the rarest twiched bird i nominate the Collared flycatcher i saw at Portland:king:

had some time to do some birding today at some fish ponds outside of Bangkok, got four lifers which was pretty cool, now on 617! There were Asian Golden Weavers in their summer plumage everywhere, real stunners! Plus tons of my namesake, jacanas, both Bronze-winged and Pheasant-tailed. other highlights include Black Bittern, Zitting Cisticola, Purple Heron, Oriental Pratincole, Chestnut Munia and Black Shouldered Kite.

Plus i've decided to finish the gap year in style with a trip to Borneo for the crazy birding and Orang-utans amongst other things :)

Back to the UK in August, let's see if I can get my UK09 list of the ground; only on 55 which were all on the 1st Jan.

We're going to have to decide on a date for these awards and seeing as it is based on a yearly cycle I suggest some time shortly after the New Year...

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back