• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (2 Viewers)

Cheers joseph and mr sim, i guess i was one of the later ones to see Redwings. If anyone cares I've just updated my blog with a brief post on the brown shrike (which i thought was quite boring!!)

hi everyone , went to pegwall bay and managed to see the zitting cisticola which was really hard to see and only gave very brief views also saw 3 brent geese, lots of wigeon, golden plover and lapwings, i have now managed to see 100 for the year now :t::t:

Nice blog entry bill! And Dark Knight, well done on the Zitting Cistola! ;)

I need to get out soon... haven't been able to this weekend. Hopefully next... o:)

thanks joseph , yeah it was trciky to get onto it , everyone else kept seeing it but me but i managed to get good but brief views in the end, it was good to year tick brent goose too :t:

I ticked Purple Sandpiper today and realized I now have a bogey bird...... Black Redstart!, I went to 3 or 4 places today where they had been reported over the last few days and saw b*gger all.

Also well done DK!!

hi everyone, i am hoping to get a pager soon has anyone got views on the right one to get ? any advice would be really helpful and appreciated :t::t:

Welcome to the thread Bill, its nice to have you here mateo:D nice blog aswell:t:

Had a pretty good day today seawatching out my bedroom window ( wild huh;)) the wind started to pick up and blew lots of Gannets in quite close to the harbour ( great views of them diving), Some terns came in close aswell ( a couple of defo Commons and every now and then a larger type of tern with a black head, long wings, short tail streamers and a black bill. Gull billed??). At one point a small seabird flew past but i wasnt quick enough to positive id but im leaning towards Storm petrel. Should i tick it? ). lots of Cormorants passing, a big group of seabirds way out far to sea, travelling in a line...

Ok so not alot of positive ids lol but at least i no there is stuff out there:-O

From your location I knew it would be a great idea for you to sea-watch. Good to hear you saw some stuff. As for the tern, did it look like this in flight?

2w3uxle.jpg

As for the Storm Petrel, there's probably a lot of different types of petrels that pass, so it may have been more than just a European. If you see another one you should probs look in a guide afterwards and see what types of storm petrels are likely to pass there. Good luck. ;)

I ticked Purple Sandpiper today and realized I now have a bogey bird...... Black Redstart!, I went to 3 or 4 places today where they had been reported over the last few days and saw b*gger all.

Also well done DK!!

If only you got those ones at Church Cove!

Interesting question, probably covered hundreds of times but... What's everyone's bogey bird? Mine's a toss up between Golden Eagle and Bewick's Swan... Eagle because i've missed it the most, Swan because they winter not far from me (Cheshire) and I've STILL not connected!

Interesting question, probably covered hundreds of times but... What's everyone's bogey bird? Mine's a toss up between Golden Eagle and Bewick's Swan... Eagle because i've missed it the most, Swan because they winter not far from me (Cheshire) and I've STILL not connected!

Mine is Black Grouse :t:

From your location I knew it would be a great idea for you to sea-watch. Good to hear you saw some stuff. As for the tern, did it look like this in flight?

2w3uxle.jpg

As for the Storm Petrel, there's probably a lot of different types of petrels that pass, so it may have been more than just a European. If you see another one you should probs look in a guide afterwards and see what types of storm petrels are likely to pass there. Good luck. ;)

Cheers Joseph, yes that tern looks almost exactly the same as the terns i have been seeing... quite large with long wings:eek!: they also have been diving, do gull bills do that?

I have also looked in my guide and i dont think you get any petrels except for storm on this coast...

Last edited:
Cheers Joseph, yes that tern looks almost exactly the same as the terns i have been seeing... quite large with long wings:eek!: they also have been diving, do gull bills do that?

I have also looked in my guide and i dont think you get any petrels except for storm on this coast...
Hi the terns that you are seeing are most likely to be Sandwich Terns a lot of them winter in the Mediteranean ,especially off the Spanish coast.Gull-billed Terns very rarely plunge dive.There food is mostly insects,frogs and small mammals etc they winter in Africa.I think the petrel that you saw would have been a Storm Petrel.

Last edited:
Well then, you can tick it if you like. Personally I would wait until I see another one and am able to instantly identify it, but I am not you, so go ahead if you had good enough views. ;) As for your terns, they could have been Sandwiches, that's very true. Rokermartin is probably right. For Gull billeds you are looking for a bird without at the back of its head and with no yellow tip on the bill. As for an adult winter Gull-billed, you are looking for an almost white tern with a fully white head. Good luck, you can probs get them on migration where you are!

My bogey bird has to be Brambling. I managed to see a flock abroad in Winter 2005 when I went to France, but in Britain, I haven't seen any... The bogey bird 'family' in Britain for me has to be the owls. I have only seen two species in the UK, Tawny and Barn, and I saw my first Barn Owl only this time last month! Short-eared Owl, Long-eared and Little continue to elude me.

Last edited:
Well then, you can tick it if you like. Personally I would wait until I see another one and am able to instantly identify it, but I am not you, so go ahead if you had good enough views. ;) As for your terns, they could have been Sandwiches, that's very true. Rokermartin is probably right. For Gull billeds you are looking for a bird without at the back of its head and with no yellow tip on the bill. As for an adult winter Gull-billed, you are looking for an almost white tern with a fully white head. Good luck, you can probs get them on migration where you are!

ok cheers joseph and rokermartin for your viewso:D now im not making this up but amongst a few of the black headed terns i could not see the black cap (although probs just trick of the light). In my bird book it says sandwich terns are not located on the coast where i am... ? Probs shite book:-O

but i see your point and theres no way im ticking them until im 100 percent sure. I might walk down to the sea wall with my bins and see if i can get a better look at the blighters tommorow.

Regarding the petrel, what is there flight pattern like? the bird i saw was about dunlin size and flew in a straight line with quite fast beating wings, it also had a white rump...

ok cheers joseph and rokermartin for your viewso:D now im not making this up but amongst a few of the black headed terns i could not see the black cap (although probs just trick of the light). In my bird book it says sandwich terns are not located on the coast where i am... ? Probs shite book:-O

but i see your point and theres no way im ticking them until im 100 percent sure. I might walk down to the sea wall with my bins and see if i can get a better look at the blighters tommorow.

Regarding the petrel, what is there flight pattern like? the bird i saw was about dunlin size and flew in a straight line with quite fast beating wings, it also had a white rump...

Sandwich terns are migrating, so can turn up on any coast.

As you're in Dorset, the petrel was almost certainly a european stormy

My bogey bird has to be Brambling. I managed to see a flock abroad in Winter 2005 when I went to France, but in Britain, I haven't seen any... The bogey bird 'family' in Britain for me has to be the owls.

Ditto on both fronts. Probably brambling for me because I know that I should be able to see one without going too far and that they're fairly common, yet haven't managed to. And on the owl front you've got one up on me. On my British List I'm stuck on the most widespread (but still very beautiful) tawny owl, but I was lucky enough to see Spotted Owlets and an Asian Barred owlet in india. As well as "owl sp." in cornwall 2 years ago, probably a short eared owl but I didn't get good enough views.

Everybody else's bogey birds sound like dreams to me :p I'd love to see a greenish, cattle egret or even a black redstart. I think I may be going down to stay a couple of days in Brighton soon so hopefully I'll be able to spend at least one whole day birding and get to see some new birds. I can only hope!

Good to hear you've still got time to do some birding TJ, with some nice birds. Hopefully you'll get some more conditions like the ones that pushed those terns and petrel in for you.

Oh yeah and well done on the zitting cisticola Dark Knight, great bird with a slightly confusing name!

And before I ramble on too much did anyone watch the Life the david attenborough program last night? The episode was birds and had some great footage in it.

to be honest i dont know any bogey birds for me now,ticked off all my bogeys this year eg-little egret,black tern,bar tailed godwit,knot. one wader which i havent seen this year(and have dipped a bird) is turnstone,but hopeing to get one before the years end.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back