• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (4 Viewers)

Well good luck to you guys who are going to build them. I wonder what attracts swifts to these structures. They often aren't as tall as chimneys on houses. I'd assume they'd work on Vaux's (just to make sure everyone's clear, that's said "Voe's" not "Vawkses") as well as Chimney Swifts? White-throated and Black would stick to canyons and rugged terrain, right?

BTW, had a Swamp Sparrow at my school, with the lingering Ovenbird. I'm sure my yard would be hopping right now!

Post #801 !

I've heard both pronounciations of VASW, but I do use "Voe's". I think it's French, so that is the right way. I know they nest in chimneys, so I assume they would nest in artificial constructions. WTSW is restricted to rocky cliffs as far as I know, and BLSW mainly nests behind waterfalls (Where I've seen them seen them nesting)

Congrats on the school birds! The best I have on my list is a pair of nesting kestrels.

SP, definitely get AIM!! It's soo easy, and free. :)

bebirder is correct, CHSW haven't nested in trees since the Europeans started building suitable structures for nesting. Now these historic chimneys are being destroyed as they start to deteriorate. By constructing and placing these new structures known as Chimney Swift Towers in the correct enviroment, the CHSW have a safe reliable nesting and roosting area. The population is rapidly declining, so don't be such a wet blanket about our conversation attempts. And function should always be over form. What is worse, no CHSW or a tall tower in your yard??

Ooooooh yeeeeah, I got a lifer!!!! I'll update my signature, don't worry. Spotted Towhee, a pair. Cute little buggers, their red iris is awesome! Lifelist:126!

FOY Baltimore Oriole, and Eastern Kingbird today. BAOR a male.

Really? Only the second ever? Cool! Was it a male?? I love YEWA, none so far for this year. :-(

Next time any of you talk to birderbf, ask him about living in Puerto Rico. :p

I seen that IBWO as well. Everyone's getting some goodies! I plan on a few lifers and a LOT of years tomorrow in Central Park, always worth the trip to the city this time of year!! I Chuck-wills-widow has even been sighted!! I certainly hope it sticks around.

My AIM screen name is bankswallow3. (also no ".")

Yesterday I went banding again. We didn't catch much (recapture Warbling Vireo from last spring and a yellowthroat from two years ago were cool), and we also got a Yellow Warbler. Some warblers were hanging around, but it's still pretty slow. The best part is getting completely covered with mud from head to toe!

neil g.

It took me a long time to think up this ingenious SN. Please take this time to sit down.

After hours of thinking it hit me, and it hit me hard. It was just so perfect, so right. I call it "birderbf". I have lived by that name ever since. Both on BF, on AIM, and many, many others.

Woohoo, I got 2 lifers! (3 actually, but I haven't ID'd the empid :p) We had some freaky weather that brought in a lot of birds. It was extremely dark all day, and rainy/foggy, and then in cleared up a bit, and then the birds came in! These include 100s of Franklin's Gulls, random warblers, including a FOY bright male Yellow Warbler! And also some thrushes, either Swainson's or Grey-cheeked, but didn't get a good look at them. And the lifers were several Lincoln's Sparrows, and a blank-looking Warbling Vireo (so cute, and gleaning too). And some very noisy Yellow-headed Blackbirds came out of no-where.
:-\ They sounded like they were trying to vomit up that pellet they've been developing all day, joking. ;-) "Bwaaaaaaaa"

Oh, and the Empid. I've narrowed it down to Willow or Alder. The only sound it made was a thicky "squishy" short call, which makes me think Willow. Any thoughts? I got a useless photo, like I said, weather was weird, which equals weird photos. :p It was solitary, and had a large bill, longer than Least. If I can ID this, I'll have 3 lifers today!

Which makes, hmmm, 128! And if I can ID that Empid, 129!! Yeah!

The Say's are still working away on the nest, good little birdies!

Hi every body!

Least observations from Nowy Staw (near Lublin)

1. Kingfisher (lifer!)
2. Hoopoes (3)
3. Wryneck
4. Grey Great Shrike (Northern Shrike)
5. Common Snipe (lifer!)
6. Lapwings (6)
7. Sedge Warbler (lifer!)
8. Reed Bunting (2)
9. Ravens (2)
10. Common Buzzards (2)
11. Marsh Harriers (3)
12. Barn Swallows (about 20)
13. Hause Martins (5)
14. Swift
15. Blackcaps
16. Willow Warblers
17. Gray Wagtails (2)
18. Yellow Wagtail
19. Linnets (2)
20 Serins (2) (lifer!)
21. Great Tits
22. Black Redstarts (2)
23. Redstart
24. Blackbirds
25. Robins
26. Starlings (a lot |;|)
27. White Storks (2)
28. Song Thrushes
29. Woodlark
30 Skylarks
31. Chaffinches
32. House Sparrow |;|
33. Greenfinches (2)

So 33 sorts and 4 lifers |=)| Other my least lifers are: Pied Flycather and Common Sandpiper. So my life list include 117 species now

Robin
http://forum.przyroda.org/files/thumbs/t_8_405.jpg

Barn Swallow
http://forum.przyroda.org/files/thumbs/t_17_131.jpg

In fly :cool:
http://img470.imageshack.us/img470/2008/22rx7.jpg

Serin
http://forum.przyroda.org/files/thumbs/t_21_296.jpg

Wryneck
http://forum.przyroda.org/files/thumbs/t_15_174.jpg

Pied Flycather
http://forum.przyroda.org/files/thumbs/t_3_223.jpg

Had a great day in Central Park, in the middle of Manhattan with another youngbirder.

Out of about 50 species, highlights are as follows:

Great Crested Flycatcher
Eastern Kingbird
Veery
Hermit Thrush
Swainson's Thrush
Wood Thrush
Brown Thrasher
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Blue-headed Vireo
Cedar Waxwing

**Warblers**

1.Northern Parula (super abundant, at least 15 with twice as many unseen singing!!)
2.Nashville
3.Yellow
4.Yellow-rumped
5.Magnolia
6.Black-throated Blue
7.Black-throated Green
8.Blackburnian (*)
9.Black-and-White Warbler
10.Worm-eating
11.Northern Waterthrush
12.Ovenbird
13.American Redstart
14.Common Yellowthroat

Scarlet Tanager
Eastern Towhee
Chipping Sparrow
Baltimore Oriole

Also some had Kentucky Warbler, YB Cuckoo, Blue-winged Warbler, and others. Missed Tennesse Warbler, Blue Grosbeak and Chuck-will's-Widow by a day or two. Still very much worth it though.

* Last year, the same walk held by my local Audubon chapter had much the same list (- one or two species, plus Chestnut-sided Warbler and RB Grosbeak, etc), and the day began with a stunning male Blackburnian Warbler, found by yours truly. Today ended with a stunning male Blackburnian Warbler. But it was not just any stunning male Blackburnian. This bad boy stopped the show.

When we arrived on the scene, a couple of enthusiasts with telephoto cameras had drawn a crowd of other birders, all enjoying this warbler. This crowd of birders drew in tourists (I heard one birder teaching a foreigner how to say "Blackburnian"). The tourist/birder flock drew families and walkers (one guy told his young boy that they were looking at a big bird in a tree), who drew joggers ("Whatcha... gasp... looking.... gasp.... at?"), who stopped bikers (screeeeeeeech!!!!). This mass buildup even led to a pair of NYPD officers stopping their patrol truck and craning their heads out of the window to see what all the buzz was about!!! An unforgettable experience!

Last edited:
Strangely enough, I had similar results in Central Park, yesterday, at about the same time!! Hmmm..........what could this mean?!? ;) ;) ;) ;)
Seriously though, it was great!!! The Blackburnian stopped everyone who passed! I hooked a few big-time nemesises (Northern Parula[don't laugh! tricky little blighters] and Blackburnian), and a few other new ones (Swainson's Thrush, Worm-eating Warbler, Northern Waterthrush). LOTS of yearbirds!!!

Strangely enough, I had similar results in Central Park, yesterday, at about the same time!! Hmmm..........what could this mean?!? ;) ;) ;) ;)
Seriously though, it was great!!! The Blackburnian stopped everyone who passed! I hooked a few big-time nemesises (Northern Parula[don't laugh! tricky little blighters] and Blackburnian), and a few other new ones (Swainson's Thrush, Worm-eating Warbler, Northern Waterthrush). LOTS of yearbirds!!!

Ah, this explains the Woodcock scenario back in March: who saw them first? I'd say it was a tie. And so far everyone has agreed that the probably Swainson's Thrush is probably a Swainson's Thrush. The color and face just looked really wrong to me... a pic of it is on my Flickr, along with a shot of the two NYPD officers trying to figure out what everyone was looking up a tree for! A picture really worth a thousand words! And I doubt anyone else captured the moment - everyone's cameras were pointed at the Blackburnian Warbler.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back