• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (4 Viewers)

Hey everyone, I have been offline for a while due to upcoming EOCs and internet problems. Anyway, I got two new lifers this weekend, American Redstart and Eastern Wood Pewee! Woohoo! I have a question...does anyone know from experience if the black-billed cuckoo spends the summer in NC? Some maps say it does and some say that it only passes through on migration, I am not quite sure what to think! Thanks!

for the bb cuckoo map , id go to the one in your most up to date recent field guide and look at its map.

Following on from a TV programme I saw last night about extreme weather, I was just wondering if any of you lot had ever seen a tornado?

What's it like?

Sam

P.S. Sorry this post is totally unrelated to anything... just wondering

i also saw my first swan goose, bt i cant put that on my life list, can i?

Nope. I'm pretty particular with which exotics I add to my list, usually a colage of the ABA and FORSC and whatever else there is. One wasy to limit yhe confusion is by staying out of areas like Miami (although suburbs can be good for WC Pigeon) I think once when I was tiny I remember seeing a Black Swan fly overhead here on Long Island, and it isn't going onto me life list any time soon (hmmm Australia, anyone?).

And BB Cuckoos do spend the summer in NC, but only in the Appalachians. This is according to Sibley, whom I do trust, except for his remarks on the IBWO.

Following on from a TV programme I saw last night about extreme weather, I was just wondering if any of you lot had ever seen a tornado?

What's it like?

Sam

P.S. Sorry this post is totally unrelated to anything... just wondering

During the summer, there is a tornado practically every night in our county. I have never actually seen one in real life, but right before a tornado, it is a sickly green color everywhere, which later turns to purple when the tornado is very nearby. After a tornado has passed, anything with any color outdoors becomes very vivid, grass will be VERY green, the sky very bright, etc. A tornado has hit our property before, as well as the neighbor's house, which resulted in the loss of half of our steel quonset. :C

BTW, the reason why I have never seen a tornado, is because I have been safe in my basement like a good little boy. ;-)

Oh, and to add to your random question, has anybody ever read "The Long Winter" by Laura Ingalls Wilder? I'm wondering because I have long wondered about the little alcid they find in the haystack.

I was upstate today. I saw:
Warbling Vireos
Red-eyed Vireo (heard)
Yellow-throated Vireos (heard)
Blue Jays
American Crows
Tree Swallows
Barn Swallows
NRW Swallows (pretty sure)
Spotted Sandpipers
Killdeer
Belted Kingfisher
Yellow-bellied Sapsucker
Ruby-throated Hummingbird
Cedar Waxwings
Red-winged Blackbirds
Eastern Kingbirds
Least Flycatchers
Eastern Phoebe
Yellow Warblers
American Redstarts
Red-tailed Hawks
Turkey Vultures
Great Blue Heron
Baltimore Orioles
House Wrens
Chipping Sparrows
Song Sparrows
Brown-headed Cowbirds
Common Grackles
Gray Catbirds
Chimney Swifts
American Robins
Common Yellowthroat
Common Merganser
Mallards
And a few others. Also saw two Muskrats, a Short-tailed Shrew, a rabbit or two, and a few aquatic critters.

For once I found reported seabirds off my local Jones Beach! After reading an emails giving a heads-up about seabirds and large numbers of fish close to shore this weekend, I happened to have an arrangement at Jones Beach. Within ten minutes of setting up watch on the jetty, a beautiful Sooty Shearwater flew past! Amazing!

Also today: Gull-billed Terns, Willet, 8 Piping Plovers, Semiapalmated Plovers, BB Plover, Killdeer, Semi Sand, Sanderling, probable Swamp Sparrow (flew over and called) and singing Horned Larks.

Any pelagic stories here to tell?

Thanks to the replies on the B.B. Cuckoo question that I posted. Today was my last day of school so I should be able to get on BF a lot more now!

Saw a bunch of shorebirds today, including a lifer; White-Rumped Sandpipers. Also of interest were a pair of Piping Plovers, Turnstones, and mixed flocks of peeps.

Owltalon-
Where did you see them? I still need White-rump for my NYS list.

Going to be some good seawatching on Memorial Day, I'm going out to Democrat Point on Fire Island with my Dad in the morning.

During the summer, there is a tornado practically every night in our county. I have never actually seen one in real life, but right before a tornado, it is a sickly green color everywhere, which later turns to purple when the tornado is very nearby. After a tornado has passed, anything with any color outdoors becomes very vivid, grass will be VERY green, the sky very bright, etc.
Oooh, sounds quite exciting.

A tornado has hit our property before, as well as the neighbor's house, which resulted in the loss of half of our steel quonset. :C
Ah, maybe not so much fun in that case then...

BTW, the reason why I have never seen a tornado, is because I have been safe in my basement like a good little boy. ;-)
Boring child! ;)

Going to be some good seawatching on Memorial Day, I'm going out to Democrat Point on Fire Island with my Dad in the morning.

How inventive! First FL, now this - stop followin' me around! :flyaway:

Don't bother trying the morning, them pelagics couldn't care less about the time. I had my Sooty around 5:00 PM.

I want to get there early to avoid the memorial day beachgoers, it will be a zoo at 5.

Too true. What happened to AZ? Didn't you say you were heading down there this weekend?

Had one new bird for the year list today, Blackpoll Warbler (....yay). Still can't find the empids though!

My mom cut the funding for Arizona. She says that if I want to think about going to Camp Chiricahua sometime, I can't go to this year.

sorry ive been gone for awhile. ive got to catch up with everything! but im leaving for germany this thursday. Everyone wish me luck to see lots of european birds!

I did a quick seawatch today from Cedar Beach Sore Thumb this morning since Democrat Point was closed. I found one Sooty Shearwater really close to shore in the Inlet. There are also still some Gannets around, a little late for them.

Last edited:
sorry ive been gone for awhile. ive got to catch up with everything! but im leaving for germany this thursday. Everyone wish me luck to see lots of european birds!
Great! Of course I wish you luck. If you have any problem with European bird, I will try help you |;|

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back