• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (6 Viewers)

Great! Of course I wish you luck. If you have any problem with European bird, I will try help you |;|

Yeah, get some photos for the ID questions forum here on BF. Should be interesting! Have fun!

I have my one little adventure coming up. Actually it's more like like an absence, as there won't be any birding. Going to PA with me class for the rest of the week. I'd be surprised if I got any new birds for the year list. Oh well.

Got a first state record on Saturday, a COUCH's KINGBIRD! Pretty sweet. Also a bunch of other sweet birds. Tired now after several days straight birding...

neilg

ps - every YB on earth should do Camp Chir. It's awesome

If anyones interested, I got a screen name, its "YBSapsucker" I don't go on my computer much, so i won't be online very often, but it's there.

Haven't gotten much birding lately. Have noticed something, "my" Mockingbird makes a Merlin call! Must have picked it up from the winter resident, as well as my recording!! He also does a call of baby Robins and Mockingbirds. I never really paid too much attention to his songs before. Any one else's local birds have any quirks?

Got a first state record on Saturday, a COUCH's KINGBIRD! Pretty sweet. Also a bunch of other sweet birds. Tired now after several days straight birding...

neilg

ps - every YB on earth should do Camp Chir. It's awesome

Nice job on the Kingbird. Did you get documentation?

Sorry, but I'm not going to do Camp Chiricahua, why spend $1000 when I can camp down there whenever I want?

Anyone else out of school yet? I've been done for about a week, but I am working a lot. (I'm saving for a possible trip to Africa next summer)

I have been out for about a week too...as for the working part...well lets just say that for right now I am trying to do as little as possible!;)

Hi guys I am new to this thread and just wanted to pop in and say Hi.
I have been out of school for 3 days. I have also been working but not to save up for a trip to Africa but for a new camera and/or scope.

Sorry, but I'm not going to do Camp Chiricahua, why spend $1000 when I can camp down there whenever I want?
QUOTE]

Gack!! :eek!: What obscenity to us northerners! Once in a while something really wacky turns up here in NY (Broad-billed Sandpiper, Black-tailed Gull) but we never count on getting something new for the ABA area, nor can we boast that we have the only breeding site for this or that in the ABA area either. The big cost can be avoided too - the ABA offers scholarships (covers about half, I think) and the Young Birder of the Year contest ($850+ more to cover airfare, but that's only 1st place).

I'm back from Pennsylvania (welcome Jack!), on a class trip aimed at stuff besides birding. Ha! Like that ever keeps a birder from watching the skies. Of course I have stories to tell. Common Merganser w/ chicks, Broad-winged Hawk, Pileated Woodpecker, bebirder's new SN, billions of singing Red-eyed Vireos with a few Yellow-throated, singing Purple Finches and a ton of orioles. Also some nice critters like Raccoon and a super-friendly White-tailed Deer, hundreds of chupmunks, and fish like Largemouth Bass.

Gack!! :eek!: What obscenity to us northerners! Once in a while something really wacky turns up here in NY (Broad-billed Sandpiper, Black-tailed Gull) but we never count on getting something new for the ABA area, nor can we boast that we have the only breeding site for this or that in the ABA area either. The big cost can be avoided too - the ABA offers scholarships (covers about half, I think) and the Young Birder of the Year contest ($850+ more to cover airfare, but that's only 1st place).

Yeah, that was partially sarcastic, partially serious. I really love the area, but I like I said, it much more cost-effective to go down there on my own. I end up in the part of the world at least 3 times a year, usually more. I've got some pretty good birds and some pretty big misses. Not too many lifers down there for me, but still a good number of ABA birds.

I'm heading to the Gila NF this weekend, hopefully I can refind the Green Kingfisher down there (1st state record) so I can document it. I'm also hopeful for a Greater Pewee, which would be a lifer. The pewee shouldn't be too hard, but the kingfisher is another story.

Edit: Welcome to BF Jack. Any particular camera/scope you saving up for?

Hey guys. Just back from a couple of days in Wales with Cudyll Bach (Iain). Awesome! Red Kite, Honey Buzzard, Puffin, Nightjar, Lesser Whitethroat (finally!). Had a great time. 2007 list 151, life 305, Britain 202.

I am going to see the squacco heron at erith on sunday!

Good luck! Cool name ... Squacco. I presume it's pronounced "skwak-oe", right? I have this great page with some explanations of bird pronunciation - I'll post it when I refind it.

BTW What is the Devil Bird? Certainly not a swift?!

Hey guys,

Sorry, I haven't been around lately, I've been sooo busy.

Every year in the town I live in, there is a Kid's Bird Finding Contest. I've won the last four and am hoping to make it fiveo:D

It started yesterday, but I didn't start until today, do to the organizer not telling me the correct day it started lol

So far (in about five hours) I've got 15 bird species just around my home. Hoping to go to some wetlands later today with my 'birding' mom.

My goal is to get 70 bird species in six days, but this year seems to have less bird life then others.

Last year I found 78 species in one week, and my nearest rival got 29.

I wish you guys lived were I lived, then it would be fun, because I would have some real compition.

I'll keep you guys updated on how I do.

BC

Hi birderbf. I think you are right, it is pronounced squak-o (which I believe means literally-heron, so it is 'heron heron'!) I saw it and it was a truly fantastic bird, got excellent views and I am putting the photos on my computer now. I will post them on this thread when finished.
Somewhere there is a thread about the pronounciation of bird names but forgot where (just looked and can't find it).

Devil Bird is the name of the Common Swift apus apus. It is called this because of its high pitched eiry call and sleek black shape and its speed. Amazing birds, spending almost their whole life on the wing. They are my favourite bird thats why I changed my name to that.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back