• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (4 Viewers)

Any of you fellows know anything about butterflies? I have pics of what I think is an indigo duskywing. Can anyone confirm this Id?

Attachments

• dw-1.JPG
    dw-1.JPG
    144.2 KB · Views: 78
Wow everything happened so fast! Quickly:

Neil - good pic of that ratity!

Audubob - Don't know aquat about butterflies! What's up with the icon?

Storm-Petrel - Excellent story! Congrats on all them great German birds! Sorry about the camera -any vhance he got a shot of the wallcreeper? You may never see one again, so cherish the memory!

Well birderbf, as cjwolf has already said my avatar is Weird Al Yankovic. Thats ok about the butterfly, I do not know much about them myself! Thats why I asked!;)

PS: my title is stating the fact that I like weird al not alcahol!

Bob I think your Duskywing is a Juvenal's Duskywing due to the small amount and arrangement of white markings on the forewings. Also, Indigo Duskywing would lack the yellowish/buff spot on the forewing as well. Just my opinion.

neil g.

Weird Al is... well, weird!

I get a moment between studies now. Lots has happened. Funny avatar Bobby! Weird Al certainly is weird, but very funny! I am almost there, summer oficial for me in a week and a half! Than, I'll be heading for the opposite coast. Till then, no real birding. See you later.

Well birderbf, as cjwolf has already said my avatar is Weird Al Yankovic. Thats ok about the butterfly, I do not know much about them myself! Thats why I asked!;)

PS: my title is stating the fact that I like weird al not alcahol!

LOL I can't believe it - I didn't recognize him. Sure I've heard of him, mostly heard his works.

Just have to finish this week and school's officially over (then stuff with my class for post-school parties and gatherings until next week, leaving little time for birding). One of my classmates is holding a party at her until recently unknown house on Fire Island, so if I go, I'll have my eyes on the ocean. If I don't, I like to see BEBirder's gull for myself.

nice avatar, bobby!

anyways, today i went to a lake in the mountains called eibsee (5 miles circumfrence). its surrounded by nice decidous forest. the only waterbirds in the lake were mallards, but also about 6 great crested grebes around the center (lifers!) the other lifers i got were in the forest, here they are:
Crested tit
european robin
Eurasian Nuthatch
Blue tit.

a very succesful day, plus i got a new europe bird, Great blue Heron.Tomorow were going to the same place we did when we got poured on, but this time were gonna be prepared and get to the cable car before it closes!!! :)

7-10th June, Nowy Staw (near Lublin, Poland) |;|

- Kingfishers 2 (breeding in my pond!)
- Hoopoes 3
- Wryneck
- Crested Tit
- Redstarts 2
- Golden Orioles
- Buzzard
- Bank Swallow (about 10)
- Serin
- Hawfinch
- White Stork
- Raven

and others (Barn Swallows, Black Redstarts, Song Sparrows, White Wagtail, Blackbirds, Cuckoo, Red-breasted Shrike, Swifts 2, Spotted Flycather, Great Reed-Warbler, House Sparrows 2, Starlings)

I don't belive that after one week I will see my first american bird :-O :D

Attachments

• zimny.JPG
    zimny.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 63
  • dudek.JPG
    dudek.JPG
    121.4 KB · Views: 51
  • krety.JPG
    krety.JPG
    50.8 KB · Views: 45
  • 25.JPG
    25.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 54
  • gasior.JPG
    gasior.JPG
    59.6 KB · Views: 42
Hopefully its a good one! Close your eyes when going past pigeons, house sparrows, and starlings!!! ;) I hope you enjoy your trip over here!

nice avatar, bobby!

anyways, today i went to a lake in the mountains called eibsee (5 miles circumfrence). its surrounded by nice decidous forest. the only waterbirds in the lake were mallards, but also about 6 great crested grebes around the center (lifers!) the other lifers i got were in the forest, here they are:
Crested tit
european robin
Eurasian Nuthatch
Blue tit.

a very succesful day, plus i got a new europe bird, Great blue Heron.Tomorow were going to the same place we did when we got poured on, but this time were gonna be prepared and get to the cable car before it closes!!! :)
Are you sure that it wasn't Grey Heron?

Wiktoria, are you going to visit states?

Last edited:
I think that Wiki meant Song trushes or she accidentally mixed Song trush with House sparrow. :)

And what's with red-breasted shirke? Shouldn't it be red-backed shriike?

Last edited:
Hopefully its a good one! Close your eyes when going past pigeons, house sparrows, and starlings!!! ;) I hope you enjoy your trip over here!
Thank you! I will try |;|

I think that Wiki meant Song trushes or she accidentally mixed Song trush with House sparrow. :)

And what's with red-breasted shirke? Shouldn't it be red-backed shriike?
LOL :'D . I've made a lot of stupid mistakes recently (too much of school) |;|

Wiktoria, are you going to visit states?
Yes, I'm going to New York to my aunt (for 40 days). I get visa for 10 years :D

Last edited:
I wish I were you Wiktoria :). I'm only going to Turkey ;-) , but my trip is exactly birdwatching trip. Some kind of birdwatchers exchange sponsored by EU :p.

I wish I were you Wiktoria :). I'm only going to Turkey ;-) , but my trip is exactly birdwatching trip. Some kind of birdwatchers exchange sponsored by EU :p.
It's excellentl as well. I wish you luck!

btw, What's the mean "I wish I were you" Polish? |:$|

great! hope you see some good birds!
Thank you :)

Whereabouts in NY, Wiktoria? Maybe we can help!!
city: New York
Astoria
if I good remember|;|

If you want help me, you can send me some photos of american birds to guess - as training ;)

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back