• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (3 Viewers)

the cormorant you saw was most likely a double crested because those are the only cormorants that live there this tim of year. it could be a straggler Great cormorant that stayed past winter, but thats really really unlikely. also, great crested is the only cormorant (along with neotropic which doesnt live in new york) that will swim in fresh water.

*Sigh* OK in one whole post:

Purple Finch are very rare in the region, and are only seen during early spring and fall in tiny numbers, so you probably saw a House Finch.

Common Grackles are abundant in Central Park and other parts of New York all year (you photographed one there nicely!). Boat-taileds are only found in the Great South Bay of Long Island (probably at Jamaica Bay). The end of their tail is noticeably bigger, and when they fly, they don't undulate at all (body doesn't go up and down like finches, to me they look like they're rowing a boat with their wings).

Gull ID in New York is straightforward this time of year (in adults).Large and dark-backed is a Greater Black-backed; large and gray-backed is Herring, smallish-medium and gray-backed is Ring-billed, and small and black-headed (dark-gray back) is Laughing.

Our only cormorant at this time of year is Double-crested, as Storm-Petrel said. By the way, an impressive list, sure making up for quantity (we know how much he likes that ;)) in quality. Nightjar! Wallcreeper! You name it!

*Sigh* OK in one whole post:

Purple Finch are very rare in the region, and are only seen during early spring and fall in tiny numbers, so you probably saw a House Finch.
I ment House Finch but I wrote Purple Finch |;| I know, it was House Finch, of course

birderbf, Petrel Storm, thank you for your help.

if there was a chance you saw me and i saw you, i was in gate 55 to Dallas.!!
It is possible but I didn't noticed (I was tired). I was wearing long, bright trousers and green swetshirt |;|

do you have a american bird field guide?
I've got "Birds of Northeast", but I have to buy better book. I was in book shop today and I saw "National Geographic field guide to the birds of North America" and "Peterson Field guide" but there didn't "Sibley Guide to Birds". I will buy guide tomorrow |=)|

I'm trying to put a recording of an old world warbler i saw in europe on bird q&a. i got it in camera. if i upload it on to by computer with iPhoto, how do i get it to birdforum?

I've got "Birds of Northeast", but I have to buy better book. I was in book shop today and I saw "National Geographic field guide to the birds of North America" and "Peterson Field guide" but there didn't "Sibley Guide to Birds". I will buy guide tomorrow |=)|

Sibley all the way!!

I'm trying to put a recording of an old world warbler i saw in europe on bird q&a. i got it in camera. if i upload it on to by computer with iPhoto, how do i get it to birdforum?

No clue! I'm sure somewhere here knows what to do though.

Peterson's and National Geographic are both good, but Sibley's is the best. National Geographic just came out with a new addition, but I don't know how good it is. If you can, go with Sibley.

Sibley's, Sibley's, another vote for Sibley's! Eastern is good, if you want a light-weight smaller-ish guide, but the "big" Sibley's guide has more plumage examples, and it includes Western Birds too. :)

Yes!!!!!!! sibleys is defenitely a must have!! if you want something smaller than that, then i would get the national geographic 4th or 5th edition. the problem with it is it shows the birds in more artistic positions instead of diagrams that show how to id them.

Yes!!!!!!! sibleys is defenitely a must have!! if you want something smaller than that, then i would get the national geographic 4th or 5th edition. the problem with it is it shows the birds in more artistic positions instead of diagrams that show how to id them.
I'm accustomed to artistic positions, becouse I have got Lars Jonsson's book |;| Thanks

I was in Central Park today (3h) and I saw several birds:
Common Grackles
American Robins
Mourning Doves
Barn Swallows

and new for me:
Blue Jay
Gray Catbird
Wood Thrush?

Attachments

• 11.JPG
    11.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    32.5 KB · Views: 85
  • 13.JPG
    13.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 14.JPG
    14.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 81
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back