• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Young Birder (6 Viewers)

Hi, eh? Greetings from Alberta. Jasper National Park to be precise. Not much time to talk, got to go birding, but I will update in detail this evening. 5 life birds: Goshawk, Sora, Canada Warbler, Red-necked Grebe, Eared Grebe! Nice pics, will post, I have a potential avi pic too.

congrats on the lifers, and also congrats to you brent on the western reef heron. owltalon, u better get back to NY before the WRheron leaves!!!! :eek!:

PS today's been miserable, have a swollen face due to allergies, and just got braces today and are hurting my mouth like bloody heck
All is not so bad though, i saw harry potter 5 (the movie) today!!!!! in my opinion it will never compare to the books but was better than the other movies.:smoke:

Last edited:
Yep, got great looks at it. Unfortunately, it wasnt as theatrical for me as it was for birderbf, but it did do dome rather unusual poses. Great bird.

Apparently it's not as picky in real estate as the Pink-footed Geese who decided to spend their winter on the grounds of the Newport Country Club, but I'm shure the worst spot in Brooklyn is a little bit of an improvement over Africa;)

I knew it'd stick for you! Im surprised that it isn't consistantly acrobatic. Some consider the reefer to be conspecific with, not only Eastern Reef-heron, Dimorphic Egret and Little Egret, but even with Snowy Egret! I've never sen Snowies do that much dancing - ever!

congrats on the lifers, and also congrats to you birderbf on the western reef heron. owltalon, u better get back to NY before the WRheron leaves!!!! :eek!:

PS today's been miserable, have a swollen face due to allergies, and just got braces today and are hurting my mouth like bloody heck
All is not so bad though, i saw harry potter 5 (the movie) today!!!!! in my opinion it will never compare to the books but was better than the other movies.:smoke:

I think you meant Brent - we've all congratulated me already! ;)

Allergies still? One year I got headaches, usually I get a runny nose - but they're over with spring migration (ironic, eh?).

And don't tell me how the fifth movie ends before I see it! :-O

And don't tell me how the fifth movie ends before I see it! :-O

please don't tell me your one of those people who don't read the books... ;)

jk, its just that, the books have alot more action and scenes (the movies shorten all of it :-C ) and the books are jsut flat out better ... ;) ;) ;)

Waiting for the book. Three more lifers. Barrow's Goldeneye, Gray-crowned Rosy Finch, and American Pipit. Funny story all. I left 17 waterfowl off my life list!!! list now to 316. Catching up on you, Brent! Brendan....your just a filthy twitcher anyway ;) ;)No clue on yearlist!!! Pics to come! Must edit....
Stupid Reef Heron. All these rare birds have the audacity to appear as soon as I can't visit. What I need is to find a Bataleur or Red-crowned Crane at my campsite. *looks around* No dice. Don't expect to hear from me all that much! Patchy reception in them thar hills!

Attachments

• owl.jpg
    0 bytes · Views: 227
Last edited:
Waiting for the book. Three more lifers. Barrow's Goldeneye, Gray-crowned Rosy Finch, and American Pipit. Funny story all. I left 17 waterfowl off my life list!!! list now to 316. Catching up on you, Brent! Brendan....your just a filthy twitcher anyway ;) ;)No clue on yearlist!!! Pics to come! Must edit....
Stupid Reef Heron. All these rare birds have the audacity to appear as soon as I can't visit. What I need is to find a Bataleur or Red-crowned Crane at my campsite. *looks around* No dice. Don't expect to hear from me all that much! Patchy reception in them thar hills!

:-O :-O :-O

I'll be happy when my NY list gets to 300 (30 to go!) and I'm not 100 species behind every other over young birder on the east coast (Chiricahu's fault!).

And remember, right now a dozen random kids from all over the country are boarding planes, all of them destined for Tuscon, AZ. Camp Chiricahua (Cheer-ih-cow-ah) begins today! Have fun everyone!

Brendan, before you even think about going on Camp C, you need to know how to pronounce it:

"Chair-ih-cow-uh"

:-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O :-O

Neil

Last edited:
*sniff* my dad didnt take me to see the kiskadee yesterday :-C
but he said hed take me this evening!!! :king: :king: :king:

wish me luck, and ill probably get a lifer too: tree swallow

*Forgotten person shows up.*
Hello!
How has everyone been?
I now work at three different places.

I wish you all well!
Sincerely,
Brandon.

Hi everyone!
Lately I saw some american birds (every american bird is interesting for me)

7th of July, Central Park:
Eastern Kingbird (lifer!), female Cardinal, Downy Woodpeckers, Double-crested Cormorants, Great Black-backed Gulls, Herring Gulls, Common Grackles, American Robins and (Fish/American) Crow

8th of July, Astoria, NY:
American Kestrel! (lifer) and Northern Mockingbird (which warn off Kestrel)

9th of July:
A) Coney Island:
Laughing Gulls
Great Black-backed Gulls
Common Terns (2)
B)East River, in the shadow of Manhattan
Canada Geese (23)
Black-crowned Night Heron
Double-crested Cormorants
Great Black-backed Gulls
American Robin
Barn Swallows

Attachments

• 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    22.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    24.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 26.JPG
    26.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 54
  • 12.JPG
    12.JPG
    26.7 KB · Views: 69
Gulls and Tern

Attachments

• karaibska1.JPG
    karaibska1.JPG
    7.7 KB · Views: 69
  • karaibska2.JPG
    karaibska2.JPG
    7.3 KB · Views: 68
  • karaibska4.JPG
    karaibska4.JPG
    19.5 KB · Views: 63
  • siodlata.JPG
    siodlata.JPG
    7.4 KB · Views: 56
  • rzeczna.JPG
    rzeczna.JPG
    16.6 KB · Views: 61
Thanks!
I'm coming back to Poland on 30th July, but on monday I'm flying to Arizona for one week :)

Cool. Where in AZ?

I'm back in Tucson, leaving for NM tomorrow. San Diego was cool, I got Allen's Hummingbird and Pacific-Slope Flycatcher. The hummers were everywhere in the neighborhood where I was staying. There were also good numbers of Costa's and Anna's. I also got many good California birds that weren't lifers, but are always cool to see. These included an elegans Red-shouldered Hawk, Nuttal's Woodpecker, Wrentit, and California Towhee. I get over to CA fairly regularly, so I made up a list of my next target landbirds:

Mountian Quail
White-headed Woodpecker
Island Scrub-Jay
Le Conte's Thrasher
Bell's Sparrow
Tricolored Blackbird
Purple Finch

I missed California Gnatcatcher, but I've seen them before (not ABA though) so it wasn't a big deal. Thanks for the help Neil. (I hope you had an "interesting" trip today ;) )

I just found out that I'm leaving in a week for four days of backpacking in the Grand Tetons. After skimming a few checklists, it looks like there's about ten potential lifers up there, and I should be able to see at least four or five.

In the meantime I'm trying to get arrange a trip to Guadeloupe Canyon, which starts in Arizona, ends in New Mexico, and is a stone's throw away from the Mexican border.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back