• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

More help with Southern African birds (1 Viewer)

Greg McKay

I like the pretty colors
Can someone help me with these south african birds all photographed near Augrabies falls Nth West Sth Africa.
I feel that photos 1,3 and 4 may all be a chat of somekind
4 and 5 have me stumped there seems to be so many black and white sth African birds. I though they may be a shrike of some kind.

Attachments

• Chat.jpg
    Chat.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 164
  • lbb 16.jpg
    lbb 16.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 168
  • Need Help 1 footed bird 72.jpg
    Need Help 1 footed bird 72.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 189
  • need Help 70.jpg
    need Help 70.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 194
  • no idea 1.jpg
    no idea 1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 202
1. Familiar Chat
2. Common Fiscal
3. White-browed Scrub Robin
4. Dusky Flycatcher (but not 100% sure)
5. Southern White-crowned Shrike

I think number 4 is also a Familiar Chat, judging by the pale sides to the uppertail and pinky-buff on the belly.

Not sure about the White-crowned Shrike either - it seems to show a dark crown and a very long tail. I wondered if it might be one of the western races of Fiscal Shrike, which can show a white supercillium. I don't know how extensive the white can get on those though.

Wouldn't White-browed Scrub Robin be out of range in the northwest? It also seems to show a pale edge to the uppertail. I'm not sure what it is though. Did it really have no left foot?

Andrew

You are right about the Robin, Karoo Scrub-Robin would then be the likeliest candidate for No 3.

No. 4 just looked like a Muscicapa flycatcher to me at first glance but I think the tail is too long. I now find myself agreeing with you - Familiar Chat.

Agree that No. 5 is not White-crowned Shrike, the tail is way too long. If it is a Fiscal then it's aberrant as the western subspecies has a white supercilium not as exetnsive as the white on the head of this bird. I also think it's too long tailed to be a Masked Shrike, which does not occur in South Africa. This all brings me to agree with Andrew that this is a Common Fiscal of the race subcoronatus, the Latakoo Fiscal, albeit a strange one.

David

Hi Greg,

1. Familiar Chat

2. Common Fiscal

3. Cape Wagtail

4. Difficult angle, but I think there is a possibility that this might be a Chat Flycatcher. Any other pics of this individual?

5. subcoronatus Common Fiscal

If you are interested, there are a number of photos of many of these species on my site at www.hardaker.co.za if you want to use them to compare to your photos.

Kind Regards
Trevor

Agree with Trevor's ids. The atlas seems to show that Marico is rare or absent at Augrabies. So it must be Chat Flycatcher.

Bird ID needed

Could some one help me identify this bird please? My collection of African bird books is pretty limited.

Thanks in anticipation Stephen Powell Australia

Attachments

• heron.jpg
    heron.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 70
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back