• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wing tagged Arctic Skua,any idea's (1 Viewer)

Birdspotter

Hi All,

Tonight at Hound Point,Lothian I had a very dark phase Arctic Skua that at a distance showed a pale headlight on each wing on the leading edge of the wing at the bend between the hand and the arm so to speak.
I suspected wing tags and this was confirmed on seeing it much closer later on.
The tags seemed to be white,too distant to see any letters/numbers, does anyone have any info on this.

cheers

CS

They're back! A couple of years ago now we had a run of wing-tagged skuas and even a wing-tagged Manx Shearwater, but after a lot of searching we have absolutely no idea where these birds are from! We'll have to try again now, as someone somewhere must be marking these birds...

Mark Grantham
BTO Ringing Scheme

They're back! A couple of years ago now we had a run of wing-tagged skuas and even a wing-tagged Manx Shearwater, but after a lot of searching we have absolutely no idea where these birds are from! We'll have to try again now, as someone somewhere must be marking these birds...

Mark Grantham
BTO Ringing Scheme

Hi Mark,
This is very interesting, I sent a buddy an e-mail at Glasgow uni who is mates with Bob Furness who as you know has done a lot of work on Skua's, unfortunatly even he drew a blank.
Please let me know if anything comes up.

cheers

CS

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back