• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (2 Viewers)

Proper photos from the professor of listening - surely not!
Passed through yesterday evening after an epic day. Watched the dolphin goings on whilst eating fish and chips. Earlier had the unforgettable experience of stroking a capercaillie, a v distant white-billed diver at Portsoy and my best ever views of king eider.

Rob

Some migrants in today. Quiet this morning, but at lunchtime a few bits and bobs around - a few wheatear, a swift, chiffchaff and blackcap at the north bank and 2 male whinchat atthe battery. A bonxie went north also.

In case there's anyone who hasn't heard, there is a bluethroat at the allotments, favouring the small scrubby patch on the south side.

Attachments

• DSC_0081.jpg
    DSC_0081.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 99
In my day (for which read last century), Bluethroats were more or less annual at Girdleness in May, to the extent that it was possibly the best mainland site for them. I get the impression that they are rarer everywhere these days but it's good to see that the old patch can still pull them in.

A couple more pics from today.

Attachments

• IMG_6888.jpg
    IMG_6888.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_6887 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_6887 - Copy.JPG
    333 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
In my day (for which read last century), Bluethroats were more or less annual at Girdleness in May, to the extent that it was possibly the best mainland site for them. I get the impression that they are rarer everywhere these days but it's good to see that the old patch can still pull them in.

Think you're right Stuart. I self-found my first on Girdleness in May '96. Saw several others there in the 90s. I went up for another showy bird in 2008 but there don't seem to be as many now. Fife is a pig for visible bluethroats (although I have seen a couple here).

Rob

The Bluethroat still showing well this evening. Not too much else around, although I did see my first House Martin of the year.

Attachments

• Bluethroat_Girdle Ness_100513a.jpg
    Bluethroat_Girdle Ness_100513a.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 76

Users who are viewing this thread

Back