• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birds fae Torry (2 Viewers)

I was expecting a load of migrants today...but could only manage a whinchat in Nigg bay. One or two other bits and bobs though, three ruff went south and there were 4 scaup in greyhope bay.

I was furthermore down at the Ness hoping to connect with a few migs. I too was disappointed, with no warblers or any passerine migs at all within the hour or so I was there... However I managed a group of 3 Dunlin heading south over the Battery. Would have been nice to see those Scaup, should have checked Greyhope Bay, well done Mark.

Joseph

I forgot to mention the numerous Red Admirals and Painted Ladies that have been around over the weekend.

Right, some stuff from earlier today. 19 Goosander were on the river. Quite a bit of wader action with parties of Knot seemingly dropping in all the time. Not sure how many but would say at least 60, including one flock of 40+. 12 Sanderling briefly alighted in Greyhope Bay. A Bonxie was playfully harrassing the gulls in the harbour. The drake Velvet Scoter was off the Coo. Seven Teal and nine Wigeon flew south. A juvenile Whinchat (presumably the one Mark saw yesterday) gave some good views around the pools in Nigg Bay.

If Autumn is officially approaching, it might be time to explain yet again exactly how the Purple Sandpiper totaliser works. For the benefit of any new readers and those old readers who really never followed the explanation the first 3 times.

If Autumn is officially approaching, it might be time to explain yet again exactly how the Purple Sandpiper totaliser works. For the benefit of any new readers and those old readers who really never followed the explanation the first 3 times.

I'm happy to explain the workings of the totaliser to any newcomers, and that way we can all work together for success.

The totaliser figure is simply the highest single count of Purple Sandpipers at Girdle Ness during a particular winter season. So far during the 2011/12 season the highest count is six, but I'm sure through everyone's efforts it will go much higher.

A couple of highlights from the last few days...a peregrine hunting offshore yesterday and a massive 3 (count 'em) canada geese north past the foghorn today!

One or two things from the week: a Redpoll heard calling on Tuesday on Abbey Road and four Whimbrel going over when I was hanging out the washing on Friday.

Rather fine weather here today and a few bits and pieces around. Waders included a Common Sandpiper, a Dunlin and eight Knot. A moulting Black Guillemot was on Greyhope Bay, an Arctic Skua was offshore and two Wheatears were in Walker Park.

A Swift was over Victoria Road around the middle of the day - the first I've seen for a week. A trot round the Ness produced similar birds to yesterday, although there were very few waders. 33 Goosander were scattered around the harbour mouth. The moulting Black Guillemot is still in Greyhope Bay and there's still a drake Velvet Scoter amongst the Eiders there. Two more Velvets flew south. An Arctic Skua and Common Scoter flew north. There's been lots Bottlenose Dolphin goings-on all weekend.

A Small Copper was by the Coo, which I think might have been the first I've seen here. Most of last weekend's migrant butterflies have moved on but there was one Red Admiral on the golf course.

So, Girdle Ness: anything about, or what? Well, apparently there were a couple of Poms yesterday, but I didn't see them when I had a look round in the afternoon. I did see a few other skuas, at least three Arctics, including a subadult light phase that came well into Greyhope Bay, and three Bonxies off the Coo. Also off the Coo were eight Manx Shearwaters north, two Common Scoters south, three Harbour Porpoise and two distant Bottlenose Dolphins. The drake Velvet Scoter was still with the Eiders. A Common Sandpiper was along the north bank and there were also three juvenile Knot. A juvenile Wheatear was in Nigg Bay and some vigorous pishing at the water treatment works procured a couple of Willow Warblers. I was hoping for one or two more migrants really. A Redpoll over Balnagask Place was 'interesting'.

1. An Arctic Skua saying 'how do you do' to a Common Tern.
2. I often wonder how migrant birds find their way to Girdle Ness. I also wonder how a pair of pants finds its way here.

Attachments

• Arctic Skua_Girdle Ness_260811a.jpg
    Arctic Skua_Girdle Ness_260811a.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 116
  • Pants_Girdle_Ness_260811a.jpg
    Pants_Girdle_Ness_260811a.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 90
Thanks for finding my pants Andrew,

Things were quiet again today...mig wise it was dead apart from a couple of wheatear, which was disappointing seeing as half the european population of wryneck turned up on the northern isles over the last few days. Not much else going on.....

Today I have mostly been... seawatching. Well it was all right I suppose. A lot of skuas almost all day. It's not easy to be exact with the totals because a lot were loitering, often with intent, but I reckon 30 Bonxies and 28 Arctic Skuas is about right. A few duck were moving north, including 13 Teal, 2 Wigeon, 4 Common Scoter and a Shoveler. The Velvet Scoter continues with the Eider. Six Red-throated Divers and a Manx Shearwater were also moving. There were probably at least four or five Harbour Porpoises off the Coo and Bottlenose Dolphins have been around the harbour mouth too. A Wheatear was in Greyhope Bay.

Your pants should be fairly clean after todays rain Mark.

Does anyone want a copy of the original English version of the advanced ID handbook by Nils van duivendijk? Free to a good home. PM me and I'll post it to you.

Swung round the Ness late afternoon. Rather calm cloudy conditions with not too much on the go: three Wheatears, one Whitethroat, three Knot, fourteen Manx Shearwaters and the continuing Velvet Scoter. A juvenile Peregrine dashed along the south side - not a bird I see too often over the Ness itself. Bottlenose Dolphins were as per usual.

A slightly odd morning at Girdle Ness today. I had a quick scan from my window and was looking across to the wasteground on Abbey Road. It was really quite busy with stuff: at least two Spotted Flycatchers, two Willow Warblers and a Whitethroat. This, I thought, looks promising. I'd only expect to see that kind of stuff - especially the flycatchers - if there's been a bit of a fall. As it turned out, there were hardly any other migrants anywhere, just one Whitethroat on the allotments, three Willow Warblers in Nigg Bay and six Wheatears. Numbers of Blackbird, Robin and Dunnock were higher than they have been, so obviously some stuff had been grounded, but I wonder if it all moved on very quickly.

Not too much else about: a Whimbrel around the harbour mouth, four Knot around the Coo and the drake Velvet Scoter again. I had a stomp around the marsh in Nigg Bay, which is pretty dry at the moment. Three Common Snipe were the best of it. Sparrowhawk and Kestrel were also both around the north bank.

Oh, and plus, there was also a Dunlin on Nigg Bay, two Goosander on the river and (drum roll) two Rooks at the Battery. Woo!

Last edited:
Had a house tick and something of a patch mega just now when I picked up a Black-tailed Godwit circling the harbour mouth before eventually heading south. Only the second time I've seen one at Girdle Ness. The first occasion was a flock of three in Walker Park on my first ever visit in August 2004! Also two Arctic Skuas and some dolphin action.

Of note from yesterday were three juvenile Grey Wagtails on the rooftops below my flat.

An unremitting gloom-fest here today, but I managed a tour of the Ness while it wasn't raining. Or at least wasn't raining quite so much. The birding wasn't a lot brighter than the weather, although a Black Guillemot was again on Greyhope Bay. A Knot was amongst the waders, gulls and terns there. Seawatching was probably going to be the best bet. Around six Arctic Skuas were heading north, whilst twelve Red-throated Divers were mostly heading south. Also three Wigeon and a Common Scoter. I didn't look too hard for migrants, although I did hear a Goldcrest on the south side of the golf course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back