• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A White Admiral question? (1 Viewer)

KenM

Having lived in my local area (man and boy) 60 years! (Epping Forest), and having been relatively sharp-eyed throughout, it came as a total surprise...even jaw dropping when I laid eyes on my ''first'' ever White Admiral four years ago (also my 1st and only ever SWFritillary) holding territory in a recently cleared area of woodland which had encouraged the underlying Honeysuckle to thrive. This territory has been tenanted each year since, a week ago (5th) the WA (torn wings) was replaced by a 2nd intact individual on the 6th!!, and further to which a 3rd individual was found c500m away! subsequent to this latest find there has been ''another'' individual (4th) found nectaring on flowering umbillica, again...perhaps 500m away at a totally different compass point, added to which another possibly a 5th!! has been seen. If I allow for duplication, I'm thinking at least 3 individuals having been seen. Is the species currently expanding in the South East...or just ''locally'' coinciding with optimum habitat and hotter summers? Cheers

Attachments

• P1520656.jpeg  WA.20..jpg
    P1520656.jpeg WA.20..jpg
    270.2 KB · Views: 59
  • P1520311.jpeg  WA 6..jpg
    P1520311.jpeg WA 6..jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
White Admiral numbers certainly declined last year in what was a bad year for many species. SWF though has been spreading .

White Admiral numbers certainly declined last year in what was a bad year for many species. SWF though has been spreading .

This sudden "spike" in WA incidence over the last four years has been a revelation for me, as I consider it one of our most attractive Butterflies, and not one that I would have expected, along with the single occurence of SWF. Conversely I've seen just the one Pemp! a species which as I understand is increasing. Also another species that I've only encountered thrice before...Small Copper....two seen 400m apart on Monday 10th! I suppose as with all things....it's being in the right place at the right time, particularly so with such elusive species.

Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back