• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

August Moths (1 Viewer)

Paul Chapman

I've not chased a moth for a little while but a chance to catch up with an old friend made Paul Harris' Pine Processionary moth (a presumed vagrant) too tempting to ignore - http://www.atropos.info/flightarrivals/

A few photos attached below. The moth would not be welcomed by all:-

https://www.forestry.gov.uk/pineprocessionarymoth

But as a male, its not going to cause any issues though I understand on hearing about the moth, Defra have been all over Paul 'like a rash'. ;)

All the best

Paul

Attachments

• Pine Processionary 01.jpg
    Pine Processionary 01.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 90
  • Pine Processionary 02.jpg
    Pine Processionary 02.jpg
    463.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Pine Processionary 03.jpg
    Pine Processionary 03.jpg
    437.5 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
A couple from last night that I'm struggling to place perhaps image 1. a Knotgrass type?......as for image 2. :-C

Cheers

Attachments

• P1540618.jpeg  Odd Noctuid 1..jpeg
    P1540618.jpeg Odd Noctuid 1..jpeg
    94.1 KB · Views: 90
  • P1540616.jpeg Odd Noctuid 2..jpeg
    P1540616.jpeg Odd Noctuid 2..jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 89
A quiet few days due to the weather, but yesterday I saw my second ever Jersey Tiger Euplagia quadripunctaria in Titchfield Common and today a lifer, and the 2nd of my big 3 wishlist, Emperor Moth Saturnia pavonia caterpillar near Beaulieu!

robhope

UK Leps 470 (Emperor Moth Saturnia pavonia)
UK Plants 420
UK Birds 237

Attachments

• Jersey Tiger Euplagia quadripunctaria.JPG
    Jersey Tiger Euplagia quadripunctaria.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 73
  • Emperor Moth Saturnia pavonia.jpg
    Emperor Moth Saturnia pavonia.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 84
Pretty slim pickings on the few nights I've trapped recently, this being the pick of the bunch.

Attachments

• IMG_2732b.JPG
    IMG_2732b.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 98
Pretty slim pickings on the few nights I've trapped recently, this being the pick of the bunch.

Nice. Twitched one at Dungeness once but unaware of any particular British increase in records despite increased regularity on the Channel Islands.

All the best

Not much of interest in the trap recently, but had my first Scarce Bordered Straw last night here at Titchfield Common. Perhaps one is heading your way, Rob.

Dave W

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back