• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Can you help me identify this bird please (1 Viewer)

usignuolo

I saw this bird on my garden wall in Twickenham on 8 May around 10 am. I wondered if it was wounded as it wasn't moving and was being attacked by two crows who live in one of the trees. But when I opened the back door it flew off. There are no ponds around here although the Thames isn't far away. I have never seen anything similar in the garden before. I assume it is a heron, is it any paticular kind of heron?

Attachments

• heron 8 may close up.jpg
    heron 8 may close up.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 206
It's a Grey Heron which probably fancied a rest in some nice shrubbery to get away from the noise and clattering of its heronry. Either that or its a rugby fan, and was a little confused to find no game on, so was wondering what to tell the missus and kids when it got home.....

Hi usignuolo,

On behalf of Admin and the Moderators welcome to Bird Forum :t:

Your garden visitor does look like a young Grey Heron to me too.

We get them in the garden occasionally, usually sat on the fences or garage roofs checking out the neighbours ponds for fish ;)

I live in a surbuban setting. All the gardens in the area are pretty tiny, yet on several occasions over the years I've seen a Grey Heron perch on the roof of a nearby house. Always the same house. I guess they must have a small pond.

Aye, a nice grey heron. Always nice to see em occasionally flying over our garden. Our next door neighbours used to have a pond full of fish until a heron started eating em all... after which they gave up & filled the pond in!

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back